These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Scraping sound (in DAW only) when using UX1 + Cubase
by masteratguitar on 2011-08-18 06:23:39

Hello : )

Since the very first day i got the UX1 i am having problems with scraping and rabbling sounds from my studio monitors. It happens only when i am working

in Cubase and set UX1 as asio driver (like suggested). When listening to music via WMP at the same time I am working in Cubase, it doesn`t happen. Only when playing back my own music from my DAW. I suppose it has something to do with the overall settings from Cubase and Windows XP soundcard.

In Windows->control panel->sounds and audio devices  i set everything to UX1 (except MIDI music playback, don`t know why though haha).

in Cubase i set the UX1 as asio device.

That`s the way to go, right?

Any suggestion or solution would be very nice : )

cheers marco

PS:

Before i had the guitarport and i never had this problem, but i was using asio4all in cubase all the time back then but i don`t wanna switch to asio4all because my music from pc won`t work and youtube won`t work etc.. so i don`t want to switch devices all the time.

Re: Scraping sound (in DAW only) when using UX1 + Cubase
by Triryche on 2011-08-18 06:49:33

If this is only happen during Cubase play back, you might have your output level too high clipping you moniotrs.

by masteratguitar on 2011-08-18 07:10:21

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is not the volume, I already checked that and tested it.

Also, it doesn`t sound exactly like a clipping noise.

You could compare it more to far too high cpu usage that causes stuttering and rabbling, just without the stuttering and only the scraping noise. 

Using a quad core machine and cpu usage is at +/-20%, so that shouldn`t be the problem...

by olerabbit on 2011-08-18 07:31:37

Hi masteratguitar ,

I use my UX1 since years with Cubase and a WIN XP SP3 system without any problems.

Make sure you have the latest WIN XP updates installed, especially SP3. And of couse the lates version of the divers (4.2.4.4) and Monkey (1.41).

I made screen shots of all the necessary adjustments within Cubase and WIN XP. It's not in English but I hope that doesn't matter as the screens might be the same - and that counts. Check them out if you like - maybe it helps.

by masteratguitar on 2011-08-18 07:37:29

thanks a lot for your reply and the pdf!

I am very familiar with German, so np : )

That`s how i set up everything, i did it exactly the same way you describe it in your pdf.

I will try updating the drivers if they are not the newest, but i doubt it will be better afterwards : (

by Triryche on 2011-08-18 08:17:59

Have you tried adjusting the buffer size to see if it makes any differene?

by masteratguitar on 2011-08-18 09:12:57

hey Triryche

thanks for the tip. i increased it to 256 getting 5ms more latency, but the overall scraping has gone dramatically away, i experience it from time to time, but the major pain in the arse has gone away for about 70%.

good tip!

but ACTUALLY i want to have my old 5ms in and 5ms out latency back

any tipps and tricks to get as low as possible?

with my guitarport i had this without any problems... even without asio4all...

but thanks!

PS:

is it possible that lower the buffer size just increased my over all sound quality in cubase?!?! WTF!

by Triryche on 2011-08-18 10:01:20

masteratguitar,

Is the Cubase and your OS the same version that ran fine with your Toneport?

And just for clarification, when you run the Monkey you have Green ticks for drivers/firmware?

Also, make sure your default sample rate and bit depth matches what it is in the the Line6 Audio-MIDI control panel (but I doubt that is the problem)

Also, you should post a new question with a link to this thread.

Because you marked it answered, it will be all but invisible to Line6 reps.

Also, check out this USB troubleshooting guide.

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4282

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.