These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

My 600 let me down
by es336td on 2011-08-18 08:37:00

I have a Variax 600 I got in 2006.   It worked well for a while then shortly before it's warranty went out, I had to take it in for service because the piezo's crapped out.  Periodically I would get the stuttering crap due to the coffin shield thing...   about a month ago, I took the thing apart and shielded the coffin with liquid electrical tape.  Put it back together and installed my GK-2a pickup on it.  Worked flawlessly.  For one project I'm in, I use it exclusively and it helped the show flow... until two weeks ago.  1st set... the top three strings just went dead.  During the break, I reloaded all the patches from a saved bundle.  Worked great.   Then when we went to start the 2nd set, nothing.  No sound.  Smacked it and it came back... for a few tunes... then I had to get the spare guitar I brought.   Has anyone had similar problems?  I'm close to just selling it and being done with it.

Also, the project above has decided to go to Eb as standard tuning.   I would have done that on all the patches, but I use the 12 strings for a few songs and we all know they can't deal with tunings.   I have periodically done this tune down before and it worked fine.  Could that be the reason for this problem?   I know when I dive bomb the whammy it cuts out when the strings get to a certain tension.

Re: My 600 let me down
by JellyWheat on 2011-08-18 10:36:52

I have no definitive answer to your detune question. IMO, if you are detuning the Variax by only a semitone, the piezos should still be within their dynamic range. Remember,however, that these pickups generate an electrical potential as a function of pressure applied to the crystal. If you diminish this pressure, you will also diminish the capacity of the pickup to generate a raw signal that can be bussed to the motherboard...

[The reaction of the piezos to "dive-bombing" is a practical demonstration of the phenomenon to which I have alluded in the above paragraph.]

I don't want to diss Line 6's efforts to further develop their excellent guitar and amp emulation algorithms. They sound great, IMO, and have a lot of practical potential. I choose the term "potential" because, IMO once again, the company's stubborn resistance to repackage their models in a rack version that can be accessed by any guitar equipped with hexaphonic output capabilities defies logic. I cannot bring myself to put aside the beautiful instruments that have served me so reliably for so many years, and which I enjoy playing so much, to suffer the spotty, idiosyncratic performance offered by the existing line of Variax models.

I must temper the last statement by saying that my Fuji-Gen-Gakki made Variax 700 was a pleasant, reliable instrument. I do not, however, play on "legacy" instruments for which technical and software support may be withdrawn, arbitrarily and unilaterally, by the manufacturer, at its sole discretion.

For all the complaints and criticism I could level at another well-known guitar manufacturer with a strong-willed and stubborn CEO, it has never abandoned its historical products, for which parts and support (although costly) are still readily available through a vast, world-wide distribution network, as well as directly from the manufacturer.

I continue to support Line 6 in its quest for accessible, credible, reliable modelling technology. My sole wish is that they define this as their area of core competency and competive advantage, leaving the instrument-building to others who have demonstrated their superior abilities in this regard.

Good luck and kind regards,

JellyWheat

by amx05462 on 2011-08-18 13:49:28

+10    j/w

possibly  a loose  ground  or connector   based  on you gave  it  a  smack  and  it  came  back.  you  have to keep in  mind   the variax  is a delecate  instrument  not a beater.  you  have  to treat  it  like  a   little  girl  not an  old bar  fly   woman  lol

by JellyWheat on 2011-08-18 14:44:50

amx05462 wrote:

you  have to keep in  mind   the variax  is a delecate  instrument  not a beater.  you  have  to treat  it  like  a   little  girl  not an  old bar  fly   woman  lol

You may rest assured, here, Dear Readers, that you are getting this advice STRAIGHT FROM THE MOUTH OF ONE OF THE GREATEST EXPERTS ON THIS SUBJECT THAT HAS EVER WALKED THE FACE OF THE EARTH. You can take it to the BANK!

FYI

JellyWheat

by es336td on 2011-08-21 16:06:29

Well... I reflashed Friday night after work.  Rehearsed a bunch of stuff for a new project, most of the evening; worked great!  Saturday morning played a bit more, changed some patches, and played it some more; not one problem or hint.   Got to the gig Saturday night... set up and noodled around a bit on the Vax.  Worked great.  1st set... when I would play the A or D strings, there was a static overtone, but it worked through the whole set.  2nd set... half way thru, the A string died mid song...  finally, the E A D strings cut out.  I packed it up during the break and broke out the spares I brought.   Plugged it up just now and it works fine again.  Since I need to have the resistor replaced, I figured I might as well take it in for service and have it all done at once.  Has anyone had to do this before?  I could probably open it again, but could cause more problems...  has anyone done the replacement with the Ghost saddles?  I've heard that they are much better than the LR Baggs.   Just trying to think of options.   Thanx for all the support.

by amx05462 on 2011-08-21 16:14:43

well since  your  sending  it  in  anyhow .  see  what comes  of that  but theres  planty of documentation  on changing  out  thee pickups to graphtechs.

by JellyWheat on 2011-08-21 17:20:39

Honestly... if you insist on gigging the thing, why not just send it to Rackvax and have an external unit made of it to put in your rack? Take your favorite straight axe and put a Roland GK-2 on it with double-sided tape, OR, get a Roland-ready Strtocaster.

Housing all those boards and electtronic components in a guitar that is pressed tightly against the steaming body of a sweaty musician just does not seem logical to me... But what the hell do I know? YMMV

Regards,

JellyWheat

by es336td on 2011-08-21 19:06:07

I was under the impression that only the 500 and 700 were able to do the RackVax stuff.  I already have a Roland Ready Strat and mounted a GK2 on the Vax recently; I have a GR-30 synth.

I appreciate the advise... but have limited funds...  want to get the most bang for the buck.  The damn thing has worked fine since 2006... with a few minor issues (one dead piezo and the coffin sheilding thing).   I'll figure it out eventually.

by JellyWheat on 2011-08-22 02:52:26

I hear what you are saying... The thing is, the Variax models are pretty awesome in and of themselves, but the actual guitars have too much that can go wrong with them. A guitar is not a reliable platform for all those sensitive electronic components, IMO.

You can have it made into a rack unit for the cost of 3 or 4 pro-quality stomp boxes and have all of the advantages with none of the downside. [After all, your Variax has earned its keep for the past 5 years: how much money have you put into your car over that same period?]

But ultimately... you're the boss.

Good luck.

JéW

by es336td on 2011-08-23 14:06:00

I have queried RackVax about the 300/600.  Supposedly they are "working" on it.  Not sure how that will pan out.  Right now, the repair seems a little less of an option... especially if I can rack it.  My GR-Strat is a fine guitar, even though it's a MIM.  I could take the GK-2a off the Vax and put it back on my PRS Standard, or any number of other guitars.   I've been toying with the idea of the Roland GR-55; replacing the Vax and my GR-30.  It would be close to the same price as the RackVax once all is said and done.   However, the Roland sounds vs the Line 6 sounds is what drove me to the Vax...    decisions... decisions...

by JellyWheat on 2011-08-23 16:18:35

I've had both the Line 6 and the Roland, and the Line 6 modeling blows Roland out of the water, IMO. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Roland's quality and sound in most cases, but Variax modeling has got them beat.

I have also owned many MiM Starats, and the oldest Strat in my stable is a MiM SuperStrat that I play proudly and without reservation anywhere alongside my costly Custom Shop stuff. MiM is NOT an issue for me, and - one of these days - I'll have a white Roland-ready in the barn, too (ssshhh! Don't let Mrs. jellyWheat overhear!!!).

The thing with the RackVax is that once you have taken the plunge, it is a relatively feasible and cost-effective thing to equip your other favorite guitars with hexaphonic pickups, thus permitting you access to the best of both worlds, real and virtual.

That's my take on it, anyway. I see Line 6 putting the reast of their bread-and-butter into beans, stompbokes, rack units and amp cabinets with stunning success, and I ask myself every time why they bother to dither with all this on-board-the-crappy-guitar stuff.

My $0.02/YMMV

Regards,

JellyWheat

by JoeValente on 2011-08-23 17:19:02

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the RackVax take away your ability to change banks and even pickup positions from the guitar? And entirely eliminate the ability to go wireless?

I bought mine to be able to go from Les Paul to acoustic, and from banjo to Tele mid-song. If I could still do that with the RackVax, I would consider surrendering my Relay wireless, but if I have to physically walk back to RackVax mid-song to change presets, well, that's a deal-breaker for me.

by JellyWheat on 2011-08-23 17:39:10

I don't know the details.... you'd have to check the RackVax site to get answers to those questions.

J/W

PS: I just did a quick scan of their site, and it looks as though you can use MIDI to control the thing on the fly.

by VARIAXED on 2011-08-27 17:42:39

Time after time I have read about insulating the grave to protect the coffin against the ground however, I know of many problems that can cause trouble. What I believe to be the number one overlooked culprit; is that many Variax owners have Vari-ing degrees of intermittent problems that reside within the Variax's (fault prone) processor which is the (brain) control center including It's internal memory that can fail and manifest into a major system flaw and for some a complete and disastrous breakdown. YES! the Variax system is very delicate and not robust, one must take care. About your whammy situation, when you are performing your dive bomber runs, you are disrupting the bridge saddles (positive string to piezo pickup) contact thereby loosing It's optimum sound transmission.

by JellyWheat on 2011-08-27 19:07:55

The Variax... "delicate"?

Surely you JEST dear sir or madam!... you JEST!

JellyWheat

by amx05462 on 2011-08-27 23:24:08

so are  you saying  the  variax  is the  yugo  of guitars?

by amx05462 on 2011-08-27 23:34:32

one  more  thing .  while  a good theory....  your theory is  faulty.    the  whole  bridge  system tilts  .     so the   piezos  and saddles  maintain there  place  and  ground.  under  your  theory   the  strings   would  have  to go completely loose.  this is  not the  case. the  pickups    also are  radused    so the  strings   do not  hang up  on them.    . .   my opinion is  that    you dont  loose  string  tension but  lower  the  tension  in a dive  bomb.  .  also     this  problem  occurs  in  hard tail  models  as well  so.  that    pretty much    takes  your  theory   out of  play.

i would  imagine    much  like  addidas  who has a machine  to put there  newest  shoe  model through  extensive  tests     that  line  6 would  have   a  special  machine  to   to the  same  so  that   they can guarantee  that   dive bombing    would  not   upset  the   chip  in the guitar.   or if  not a machine    quite possibly a  frustrated  college  student  with  no girlfriend  to do  the dive bombing..

but im sure they test these  things  before  putting  something   on the  market .   anything  less  would be  a solid  F.U.   to there  valued  customers.

by amx05462 on 2011-08-27 23:36:11

im considering    acking  line  6 to do a pete  townsend  test  in the future.

by es336td on 2011-08-29 09:04:22

According to RackVax, different combinations of the S1/S2 switches and the volume knob (i.e.- one switch held down and the volume on the GK is the volume knob... the other and the volume make it the tone.)  You can also use the two switches to change patches... I can't get to the site now, or I'd cut and paste the info.

UPDATE: It's listed in the electronic (flash) manual...  http://issuu.com/rackvax/docs/rackvax_electric_manual.  Look under the GK Controls section.

by es336td on 2011-08-29 09:13:45

So to further flaggulate and expired equine...  I don't bang on the Vax...  on occasion, I tap the piezos when they cut out.   I use my acoustic guitar rule (don't leave it any where you wouldn't like to stay; i.e.-temp, etc.).  So, why then would it play all night after a reflash... then the next day at an outdoor gig, with low humidity and not that bad a temp, cut out after one 45 minute set?   To me, that means the piezo's are giving up the ghost and not the ill seated connectors to the board.  Just boggles my mind.   I'm going to try and use it again in the next two weeks, but only for those things (acoustic, 12 string, etc.) that I don't have in another guitar...  not going to depend on it, but for right now... it's all I've got.  RackVax isn't doing conversions for 300/600 yet and I'm broke.  

by es336td on 2011-09-13 08:58:31

SFA...     I gave it another go this past weekend.   It worked flawlessly each night/all night.   I did, however, bring 3 extra spares and at the start of each break (we do hour sets & 1/2 hour breaks) and whenever it wasn't being used, I unplugged the TRS cable to the power supply.   If the piezos are "bad" why would removing the power fix it for an hour at a time?    Since service centers are over an hour away from me... and I'm still broke... I will continue to use this method until it no longer works. 

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-13 09:39:00

Seems to me that you may have a problem with one of the larger capacitors in your rig : it might even be located in the XPS unit, itself...

Is there no way you can rent/borrow an XTLive or X3Live and power the Variax with the VDI cable to see what happens? I had nothing but trouble with one of my 3 XPS Minis, while the other 2 always provided a reliable power source.

If the problem persists using the VDI connection, you still may have a faulty cap on board whose values start to drift after the unit warms up. Unplugging may allow excess voltage to bleed away, so that when you plug back in, the problem does not immediately present itself. After a while, however, your cap values may begin to drift again, so the problem will reappear.

My $0.02/FWIW

Good luck,

JellyWheat

[BTW: I just went back to review your original post... tell us again why you have a GK-2a pickup on your Variax, please. Are the original piezos not working? I'm sorry - I don't understand the scenario any more.]

by es336td on 2011-09-13 09:56:22

That would be an ideal situation, but the singer had the only XTLive I had access too... he sold it for a FloorPOD, then traded me for my PocketPOD...  FloorPOD is a POS and does not have the VDI access.   If I stumble upon one of the floor units for cheap, that may be the way to go.    Thanx for the idea.  I get so focused on my problem, I fail to see simple solutions.   Since I'm broke, that may be a good thing.  The power supply is the original that came with the Vax.  It has had no problems, but I did notice shortly after I got it, that something was rattling around in it.  I opened it up and it looked like a clear LED without the wires... I chalked it up to excess plastic from some process... it didn't look like it came off the circuit board.

The GK-2a drives my Roland GR-30.   I play synth guitar (keyboards, sax, banjo) in both bands I'm in.  It made more sense to have everything in one guitar.   I have a GR-Ready MIM Strat I love, but it doesn't give me any beefy humbucker tones (obviously) and has only 21 frets.  I need both for some songs.  When I shielded the coffin, it seemed like the best thing to mount the GK on the Vax.   The GK guitar input/output (for the little cable) is messed up, so I always had to use a wireless or something to use it on the PRS Standard it was mounted on.  Now the PRS is just a guitar I take for certain projects that don't require the Vax/GR-30 capabilites.   I bundled together a TRS to TRS cable and the 13 pin cable.  Works like a champ.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-13 10:09:20

(((8>D}}}... so then, you have a POS as your main axe and a PRS as backup, if I understand correctly!

[hnyuk-hnyuk-hnyuk... where is the Great One to share in the levity?]

OK, I thought it might be something like that. I still say - broke or not - your most cost-effective diagnostic option at this stage is to rent a POD with a Variax connection and try it out. Your rig has a lot of components, and we have to start eliminating some potential problem areas. In this vein, you might also want to try out another XPS Mini and see whether the problem recurs.

Here's another question : do you experience any problems at all when you are running on battery power alone? I realize this is not a viable long-term option for a gigging musician, but - as I said before- we need to start narrowing down the field of options, here, or we'll just continue to go around in circles...

Later.

J/W

by es336td on 2011-09-13 10:27:44

If you knew the band, you'd understand...     

I'll have to check out rentals...     as for battery power....  remember...  I roached a resistor  by putting in one of the batteries backwards.  The batteries don't work at all.   In fact, I removed them so I don't forget and they leak.  I'm strictly on XPS power or nothing.   I use the VDI to connect to the PC for WorkBench.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-13 10:39:57

Just remember that a legitimate tech is going to charge you a minimum of $50 - $75 just to do an hour's diagostics on your Variax, whether he/she knows what they are looking for or not.

1. I suggest you get the resistor (diode?) replaced... it's relatively cheap, and it will give you some "Plan B" capability if your XPS goes south;
  2. Beg or borrow another XPS Mini, for diagnostic purposes;
  3. Go to a legit retailer and seek help. I deal with Long and Mcquade up here in Canada, and they are SUPER at lending me gear to do trials or diagnostics, or providing cheap short-term rental rates for the same purpose.
  4. If you like what the Variax gives you, be prepared to go the extra mile to make it work... there is nothing else that does what the Variax does, in terms of guitar modeling.

[Blah, blah, blah... etc, etc...]

JellyWheat

by es336td on 2011-09-14 12:24:08

Indeed... a major factor I haven't taken it in...   been thinking of getting a XPS Mini, but finances won't allow that...   There are some stores around here.  I'll have to try.   Will post results when they happen.   Thanx!

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-14 16:14:52

(8>C}... Too bad about your finances, but this is one of those instances where I'm afraid there is no such thing as a free lunch. It's coing to take at least a small amount of coin to get you out of these woods, I fear (... unless you can find an acquaintance with a PodXTLive for you to use at a rehearsal or gig).

Good luck. Please do keep us posted.

JellyWheat

by amx05462 on 2011-09-15 00:43:55

http://www.smarthome.com/78540/Plug-In-9-Volt-Power-Supply-Battery-Eliminator-9V-ADAPTER/p.aspx

getone  of these  and  hook it up  to the battery terminal.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-15 02:45:39

He can't do that until he replaces the diode he blew by reversing polarity, O Great One...

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-09-15 02:50:23

is the diode  on the  vdi circut  or the  battery circut.    couldnt have  put the battery  in backwards  could  he.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-15 05:06:30

Yes, Excellency, that is exactly what he said he did...

((8>D}}

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-09-15 20:29:18

ok.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-16 09:08:19

es336td wrote:

My GR-Strat is a fine guitar, even though it's a MIM.  I could take the GK-2a off the Vax and put it back on my PRS Standard, or any number of other guitars.   I've been toying with the idea of the Roland GR-55; replacing the Vax and my GR-30.  It would be close to the same price as the RackVax once all is said and done.   However, the Roland sounds vs the Line 6 sounds is what drove me to the Vax...    decisions... decisions...

?(8>*}???... PRS = big monetas! ... any number of other guitars = more monetas!!

[The more I re-read these posts, the stranger it seems to me that there are not a few spare bucks floating around for a couple of relatively minor Variax repairs and a spare XPS Mini!

In the absence of some pretty basic upkeep on the Variax in question, sometimes I think the thread shpould be retitled:

"I let my 600 down."

... or not. I may just be grumpy today because I didn't sleep that well last night! LOL]

My $0.02/FWIW/YMMV

J/W

by es336td on 2011-09-20 08:45:22

You would think.   However... the "research" is figuring out the solution to the problem that is most cost effective and the most bang for the buck.   If the repair could possibly reach the cost of the GR-55 or the RackVax conversion, then to me, that would be the place to go.    Right now, I'm happy with unplugging the thing when not in use (during breaks, etc.) and waiting for money and the solution to appear.  Hope this helps. 

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-20 09:04:56

I think I understand your perspective, however - were I in your boots (which I am not)- I would be worried about the entropic risk: that is, if you don't restore the system to its stable state, it will continue to degrade and become more chaotic and unpredictable.

Now, if the older Variax instruments were a dime a dozen on the second-hand market, one might be less careful to guard against this possibility. And, I suppose you could just ride this one out to the end and buy a new JTV, as well. This having been said, when live performances were my "bread and butter", I (speaking very personally, once again) could not have lived comfortably with the "wait and see" approach. But that is just me.

As amx05462 often has to remind me, "whatever floats your boat" is the operant principle here, so please pardon me if I seem too judgemental...

Hope your solution floats by soon!

JellyWheat

by es336td on 2011-09-20 09:09:38

True.  But if I can unplug it for now and do shows, that works.  No money... just unplug.   That can't cause a bunch more problems can it?   (I have a feeling you're going to tell me it can.)  For the RackVax conversion, you don't need the battery power (problem 1) or the piezos (problem 2).   What am I missing?   True, if this were my bread and butter, I'd go further into debt and get a JTV59... but I have a day job and am a weekend warrior.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-20 09:36:27

OK... I thought you were earning your living with this rig, so we are already on different turf. The sense of urgency is gone, as you aptly note.

Now, whether doing nothing can or will cause further degradation I dinna ken to answer. I'm with you on the battery part... that should not cause further complications if left unattended. BUT, we still don't really understand what is causing the time-dependent degradation of the performance of the Variax.

What if, for the sake of argument, the cause is a failing electrical component on the board that - when it eventually does give up the ghost completely and utterly - will allow excess currrent to flow and thus damage the rest of the board? My point is that we have not ruled out this possible scenario, which could, conceivably, cost much more to fix than whatever repairs the Variax currently requires.

Anyway... if you are not going to be losing any gigs by taking the risk and letting things evolve towards whatever the end state may be, who Im I to give advice?

This should just be taken as my $0.02/FWIW.

J/W

by es336td on 2011-09-20 09:43:28

True.  The worst thing right now is that I have to drag 6 or more guitars to a gig (tunings and such).  Yes, if the board does fail completely, then I have a $1500. (or whatever it cost in 2006) paperweight.  Right now, I'm in a good position to take the risk.   That could change by the end of the year if my company doesn't win a contract, but for now, I'm good.   I'll make course directions accordingly depending on what happens. 

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-20 09:54:49

Sounds like you need a ROADIE buget, not a repair allowance!

Good luck, anyway!

J/W

by es336td on 2011-11-03 09:01:02

Well... unplugging the beast every break is working.   It crackles every now and then, but so far so good.

by JellyWheat on 2011-11-03 09:29:16

I would say it's likely a capacitor problem, then...

Regards,

J/W

by es336td on 2011-11-04 08:53:15

More than likely a domino thing from the battery problem...   Hopefully it will last a while longer.   Just found out yesterday my company didn't win the new contract.   Gonna be doing a bit of job searching soon.  FM...

by es336td on 2012-07-10 10:44:43

Well...  $200. later and she's back in service.    He replaced something on the board (don't remember what), but he said the big deal was the batteries had leaked and roached a connector and that's where the majority of the problem was.   Used it this past weekend for a two nighter and it worked flawlessly.   He also replaced the warped pickguard and the set screw for the whammy bar.   It's almost like a new guitar!   I guess it's golden when it works and shite when it doesn't.... ;-)

by es336td on 2012-10-16 12:32:54

Headed back to shite...

Recently... it started that fluttering crap, like you are toggling between to settings... the old coffin sheilding thing.  My tech says he didn't change my sheild job...  He told me to use the batteries only in emergency; which I have done.  However, a few weeks ago, I was getting shocked at a venue and changed to batteries mid night.  When the gig was over, I forgot to take them out and they stayed in there for a week.  The next time I fired it up, I remembered to take out the batteries, but that's when all this new crap started.  I'm thinking the capacitor theory brought up earlier in this thread could be the problem.  I'm hoping I've solved it, because it's not done it for the past two gigs.  I hate when I can't depend on something...

Oh... and reading back in this thread...  just found out that the new job I got in April of this year is no longer funded as of November.  Weird.  That and my Boogie SOB head in the shop with a bad power switch, my Blues Jr in the shop with who knows what, and my AX2 in the shop for a new battery, cleaning, etc.  In fact, I got so cocky before I learned of this job thing, I bought ANOTHER AX2!   I am definitely an idiot!   However, $200. for the AX2 was a steal.

by es336td on 2012-11-02 10:35:15

Someone had posted on here (JellyWheat?) about a capacitor problem...   I have found that if I run it only with the power supply and unplug between sets, the flutter never comes up.  When I forget, it comes back.  It only does it on half the select knob... starting with Special, then LP, then Spank, etc.  I've created a redundant set of patches on the other end of the dial for just such an occasion... 

Damn if that JTV-59P doesn't look sweet...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.