These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Why doesn't Line 6 put 1 tube in their HD pedals like a Vox Tonelab?
by daveschutt on 2011-08-22 18:24:46

Although I really like my HD500 and the additional parameters were a nice touch that add more control and authenticity but I wonder why they have not put an actual tube in their pedal line.  Seems that would be the bomb!

Re: Why doesn't Line 6 put 1 tube in their HD pedals like a Vox Tonelab?
by ozbadman on 2011-08-22 18:39:49

The problem with tubes is they don't sound great when operating in starved mode, so to make them sound good you need to add a heavy transformer which adds significant weight and cost.

by TheRealZap on 2011-08-22 19:10:49

but dave don't you have a dt50.... that kinda sorta puts 4 tubes to your hd500 :-) i think you'll be ok....

but just in case i have a vox tonelab le i'll sell you :-)

by fireballchaser on 2011-08-22 19:37:03

In addition to weight and cost, reliability issues come up too.  I have to stick new tubes in my actual amps from time to time (especially when I want them to sound their best), I don't want to have that headache with my POD as well.

by daveschutt on 2011-08-23 05:42:56

I do have a DT-50 and you're right it makes for a good combo.  It was more of a curiosity.  What people say here makes sense.  I was just wondering about it after thinking about the Tonelab and some of these boutique overdrive pedals that have a valve in them.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-08-23 05:58:28

ozbadman wrote:

The problem with tubes is they don't sound great when operating in starved mode, so to make them sound good you need to add a heavy transformer which adds significant weight and cost.

In the case of the Tonelab, the tube isn't a preamp tube.  It's a physically modeled poweramp section.  And it isn't starved for voltage either.

Line6 could do it.  Fractal could too.  But neither does.  They model their poweramps in the POD and Axe in software instead of hardware.

by spaceatl on 2011-08-23 06:21:26

Probably because VOX holds a US patent on the Valve Reactor...

by TheRealZap on 2011-08-23 12:50:00

that surprises me, because i have an old DOD multi, that also has the tube "VGS50"

was great at the time... :-)

by ChrisRT on 2011-08-24 13:10:02

Because its old fashioned and expensive technology?

One day we will all have to embrace modern technology.

by kdog on 2011-08-24 15:52:03

Because there is not a one preamp tube circuit that would improve the product in any way shape or form. It would do nothing but add cost to the product. Only upside would be it would allow them to say "it haz toobz" in their marketing material.

Preamp modeling has been nailed by modern modelers and the non-power tube as a power amp with no real serious output transformer is more a liability than anything if you have decent digital algorithms for power amp modeling. They're better off in expending their R&D in that direction.

Sort of like saying, the Ford Mustang has racing stripes on it, Dodge should paint racing stripes on the Charger, too, it'd go even faster.

by daveschutt on 2011-08-26 05:02:19

Thanks all for your opinions I think you all adequately answered my question.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.