These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Signal level on Bass PODxt Pro through USB really low
by Antti29 on 2011-08-23 09:56:17

I was unpleasantly surprised not to find the same problem described on the forums. Am I the only one?

Anyway, I have the Bass PODxt Pro and it works fine. I installed Line6 Monkey, everything is up to date, and the device shows up as a sound card in my Windows XP. However, when I try to record with it through USB, the signal level is ridiculously low.

I have, to my knowledge, tried every setting in both the computer and the Pod. Whenever I see a volume control, I crank it up to max level, but nothing seems to help. The only way I can get an audible signal is turning up gain on the Pod, but the level is still at about 25% of maximum, which isn't nearly enough and the quality is of course down the drain due to gain.

I've tried multiple recording softwares, including Windows's sound recorder, Audacity and Adobe Audition. They all share the problem.

As I said, the device works just fine elsewhere. I've used it in studio (with the XLR outs) and on live performances. I can hook it up to my amp and play with headphones. The USB signal level is the only one that isn't high enough.

RE: Signal level on Bass PODxt Pro through USB really low
by Line6Don on 2011-08-25 14:26:43

Hey Antti29,

First thing to do is make sure your Line 6 drivers and software are up to date:

Download and install the latest drivers for your operating system:

Windows Drivers 4.2.4.4:

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3987

MAC Drivers : 7.0.9

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=4170

Once the drivers are installed you will need to install the Line 6 Monkey application from the links below:

Windows Line 6 Monkey 1.41:

http://line6.com/getrelease?rid=4114

MAC Line 6 Monkey 1.41:

http://line6.com/getrelease?rid=4115

Once Line 6 Monkey is installed, remove any additional unnecessary USB and firmware devices from your computer when troubleshooting this issue. Make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try using additional USB cables and every USB port available until you are able to launch Line 6 Monkey and detect the device.

Once Line 6 Monkey is launched apply any updates that are available until you have a green check next to each component.

On the Bass POD XT Pro the "Chan Vol" will control the overall level being sent to the USB. Make sure and turn down the compressor. Make sure that the input pad is set to normal.

Make sure and use an amp model as well to boost the signal.

Re: RE: Signal level on Bass PODxt Pro through USB really low
by Antti29 on 2011-08-26 07:57:00

I already said that I have Line6 Monkey installed and that everything works and is up to date.

That leaves me with the last two lines of your reply. Both "Chan Vol" and "Output" are at maximum, compressor has no effect on the matter, and input level is at normal. The problem persists with any combination of effects, amps and cabs, including with them being off.

by TheRealZap on 2011-08-26 08:01:18

it is supposed to be really low if you have the "dry" inputs selected in the pod.

i don't have a bass pod xt pro so i can't tell you how to select the affected outputs.

but for XT and X3 devices there are usually multiple output choices available for the track in your recording software...

for instance on the x3

track 1/2 is tone1 stereo

track 3/4 is tone 2 stereo

track 5/6 is tone1 + tone2 stereo

track 7/8 is the dry inputs from tone1 and tone 2

by Antti29 on 2011-08-26 09:04:31

That was rather promising: Audacity did find 16 channels from the device. Sadly, the only ones that worked were the first two, mono and stereo respectively. Having stereo as an option was weird since the device is mono. I tried recording stereo, and the left channel had the normal (in this case, silent) signal and the right channel something very very silent, resembling the proper signal.

I did find the dry bass setting too, and it was just as silent as the processed output, if not even more so.

Thanks for the effort though!

Maybe I'll just throw in the towel and go buy a small mixing board.

by Line6Don on 2011-08-29 11:09:45

Hey Antti29,

Please make sure to try removing any additional unnecessary USB and firmware devices from your computer when troubleshooting this issue. Make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try testing it using additional USB cables and every USB port available as well.

by Antti29 on 2011-08-31 12:24:24

The only other USB device connected to my computer is the mouse. Using another cable or another port (rear ones) had no effect on the issue.

by Line6Don on 2011-09-02 11:24:26

Hey Antti29,

If you still are receiving a low input volume, I would suggest to use a amp model or a compressor to add some extra volume to the signal.

by Antti29 on 2011-09-04 10:05:46

Neither of your suggestions helped. Well, they did, but it's like getting an increase from 10 to 12 when I want to be at 100. I think I should be able to clip the signal at will.

by Line6Don on 2011-09-07 08:24:38

Hey Antti29,

Make sure the Line 6 Audio-MIDI driver is sending the processed guitar signal.

The Line 6 Audio-MIDI device menu can be found on the the Windows Control Panel. Once you have brought up the menu, select the Inputs&Recording tab and make sure the PODxt Audio Signal Routing is set for "Send Processed Guitar".

BassPODXTUSBoutputs.bmp

by Antti29 on 2011-09-08 09:16:16

Yes, the setting is as in the picture. I believe that is the default setting.

by Line6Don on 2011-09-13 09:20:43

Hey Antti29,

At this point I would suggest to contact Line 6 Europe for some assistance in locating a Service Center in your region to assess if your Bass POD XT Pro is in need of repair.

Line 6 - Europe

Telefone: +44 (0) 1788 566 566

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.