These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

problem with HD Edit
by Santuzzo on 2011-09-01 12:17:03

Hi,

Today I experienced the following problem when using my POD HD500 with HD Edit:

I was editing patches in HD Edit (not touching the POD unit at all) and I corrected some volume levels to match all the patches in one bank in terms of volume.

In one particular patch I had to drop the volume because it was way louder than my other patches in the same bank.

after editing the patch, I hit send selected, and I also saved it on my PC

Then I closed HD Edit and switch back and forth between the patches and the patch I had changed was way loud again (like it was before editing it), then I re-opened HD Edit, waited for it to receive all the patches form the unit and when I selected the exact same patch in HD edit, the volume was right (as in the edited version).

Could this be cause by having several patches in the same setlist (but not in the same bank) that go by the exact same name but have different settings?

For example: I may have a Lead 1 patch in one bank and I copy it to another bank within the same setlist and in the new location I change some setting of the patch without changing its name, so Lead 1 in bank 1 may have different volume (or FX or whatever settings) than Lead 1 in bank 5.

Could this cause the problem?

Thanks,

Lars

PS: I recently finished a new song I recorded with the HD500, I will post it up later

Re: problem with HD Edit
by silverhead on 2011-09-02 05:31:01

I doubt that having the same name for different patches is relevant. My suspicion is that there's a temporary buffer that is not being cleared properly, and that if you were to power off the HD500 at the same time you close HD500 Edit (after the SEND SELECTED), and then power on the HD500 again you would not notice the problem. Can you try this and let us know?

However, that would only be a workaround. What you describe does sound like a bug. Can you provide a recipe so that others here can try to reproduce it? I know the recipe is probably implicit in your description but perhaps you could describe it excplicitly in a few clear steps?

RE: problem with HD Edit
by Line6Don on 2011-09-02 09:30:20

Hey Santuzzo,

I agree with silverhead, it sounds like something to do with the POD HD500 Edit temporary memory buffer. Powering the unit off and then back on and testing would help to validate this being related to edit.

Can you please try your best to provide us with a recipe to reproduce this problem consistently. Provide us with a step by step process to encounter this problem. You may also submit us patch files as well if they are needed to reproduce the problem consistently.

Thank you.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-03 00:20:09

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help!

I will try what you suggested today and post back.

Here's a simple step- by step recipe how I got this to happen:

1. open HD edit with the POD HD500 connected to your computer

2 create a patch and copy said patch onto a different bank within the same setlist. all of this is done in HD EDIT!

3. in the new (copied) patch change the volume (amp channel) to a higher or lower setting so that the increase or decrease of volume is clearly noticeable. all of this is done in HD EDIT

4. save new patch on your PC and hit 'send selected'

5. close HD edit

6. still on the bank of the new patch (the one with changed volume) switch on your HD unit to another patch within the same bank and then back to the patch you had saved

7. check if the HD 'kept' the volume change or if it went back to the volume setting you had previously (before chaging it).

I have only tried this with one amp model (Treadplate pre), so I don't know if the amp model chose plays a role here.

I will do some more research and post back.

In the meanwhile, can some of you let me know if you get the same results when applying the recipe above?

Thanks,

Lars

Re: RE: problem with HD Edit
by Santuzzo on 2011-09-03 00:27:44

Thanks Don,

see my post above for the recipe.

I tried to attached the patch I had this problem with, but it still does not work to upload/attach a file with that ending, and I don't know how to change the file type in Win7, sorry.

Thanks,

Lars

by johnpicton on 2011-09-03 04:11:22

Hi Lars you can change the file type in windows 7 in the following way.

Double click on "My Computer" then click on the Organize button near the top left of the window.

Capture 1.PNG

Next you need to click on the "folder and search options" menu item.

Capture 2.PNG

Next Click on the view tab and in the list that comes up take the tick out of the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types"

Capture 3.PNG

Now find your patch file and right click on it. Select rename file from the list and at the end of the file name put something like .png (this makes it into a file that can be uploaded.

Then upload your file.

After you have don't that you can follow the above instructions and put the tick back in the box to hide the file extensions if you want.

GOOD LUCK

Kind regards

John

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-03 04:47:58

Thank you very much John!

Now I uploaded the file, but before using it the extension needs to be changed back to .h5e

Lars

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-03 09:08:03

ok, here is an update:

I just tried to reproduce the problem, but this time it did not happen.

Isn't that strange?

I did the exact same thing this time. How can this be that one time the problem occurs and another time it does not?

very confusing......

by silverhead on 2011-09-04 11:07:00

Santuzzo wrote:

Here's a simple step- by step recipe how I got this to happen:

1. open HD edit with the POD HD500 connected to your computer

2 create a patch and copy said patch onto a different bank within the same setlist.

3. in the new (copied) patch change the volume (amp channel) to a higher or lower setting so that the increase or decrease of volume is clearly noticeable

4. save new patch and hit 'send selected'

5. close HD edit

6. still on the bank of the new patch (the one with changed volume) switch on your HD unit to another patch within the same bank and then back to the patch you had saved

7. check if the HD 'kept' the volume change or if it went back to the volume setting you had previously (before chaging it).

I haven't yet tried to replicate this because the recipe is a little confusing and ambiguous to me. Specifically, in steps 2 and 3 it's not clear whether you are using HD500 Edit or the HD500 device iself to create/edit the patch. This can definitely make a difference in terms of the edit buffer(s) being used and which buffer/device (computer or HD500) is being auditioned.

Your description of Step 4 is also ambiguous. Are you using the SAVE function on the HD500 device, or in HD500 Edit? The results are quite different - the former makes a change to the HD500 device; the latter creates/updates a file on your computer.

The bottom line is that things can get very confusing and unpredictable if you are using both HD500 Edit and the HD500 device itself to make changes. I'm not sure whether you want to pursue this given that the problem does not seems to be consistently respoducible, based on your last post. Personally, unless you are able to reproduce it consistently, using one device or the other and not both, I would put it down to an anomaly created by using both devices simultaneously. And I would forget about it.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-04 11:50:51

Sorry if my recipe was not clear, but I just edited it. All of the actions are done in HD Edit.

But since I myself have not been able to reproduce it (see my previous post), I think someting is strange.

The only explanation I can come up with right now is: I am sure I did all of the steps in HD Edit, but maybe (I am not 100% sure) I switched from one patch the other not in HD Edit but by hitting the footswitch on the HD 500 unit. Still, IIRC, according to what was announced along with the release of the last HD Edit version, this should not make a difference.

by silverhead on 2011-09-04 15:52:08

I agree - the behaviour you originally described would be a bug. But unless it is consistently reproducible it's not likely to be investigated by Line 6 and fixed. If you can find the recipe again I'll try to reproduce it on my HD500 and confirm the bug.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-04 15:54:08

Thanks !

I will keep investigating in this and trying to find out what specifically causes this problem to ocurr and what does not.

Lars

by Line6Don on 2011-09-07 08:41:01

Hey Santuzzo,

Thank you for providing us with a recipe to reproduce what you were experiencing.

Following the steps you have provided, I was unable to reproduce the unsaved volume changes that you reported.

If this continues to happen, please do your best to refine the recipe into something that is more consistently reproducible. By the sounds of it, you haven't ran into the problem again since that time either, so maybe it could just been a step that you over looked or did on accident.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-07 12:53:37

Hi Don,

Thank you very much.

The last time I tried the problem did not occur.

I will keep investigating and try to reproduce the problem.

Could it be that my initial problem came about because I had HD Edit open and switched from one preset to another by hitting the footswitch on the HD 500 as opposed to doing the switch in HD Edit? Still, IIRC, according to what was announced along with the release of the last HD Edit version, this should not make a difference.

Lars

by Line6Don on 2011-09-09 16:04:33

Hey Santuzzo,

You are very welcome.

Glad to see that you haven't experienced this again.

Unfortunately I am unsure of the direct cause for this because I was unable to reproduce the problem to see it first hand.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-10 02:55:32

Thanks again, Don.

I will keep tesintg and see if I can reproduce the problem and post back.

Lars

by Line6Don on 2011-09-13 11:25:29

Hey Santuzzo,

In the mean time, this thread is going to be closed. If you are able to create a recipe that recreates the issue consistently, then please start a new thread, make sure to mark it as a question, and post your recipe for us to test.

Thank you.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-27 02:50:55

update:

I keep experiencing this issue and I do believe it is a bug.

I just worked on a dual amp patch (Treadplate pre and Fireball pre) and changed some settings inside HD edit. Then I sent the preset to the HD500 and I also saved it to my PC.

After that I closed HD edit and switch on my HD500 to the next patch and when I switched back to my first patch the changes I had made were not on it.

When I switch off the HD500 and back on, I get my updated patch back. Wouldn't this suggest it must be a bug?

I do not know if this happens every time, apparently this only occurs occasionally, which makes it difficult to reconstruct, but nevertheless I am confident this is a bug, because it happened already several times and I am sure this is not a user mistake.

When I have some time in the weekend I will try to recreate this with a simple recipe that reproduces the error consistently. I f I manage to do so I will post the recipe in a new thread.

Lars

by rcbeastly on 2011-10-09 10:37:47

I have had similar problems. It seems a patch created in edit sometimes won't work properly when switched to from the HD 500 footswitch - it behaves like a new tone - ie unprogrammed. Switching off and back on usually fixes the problem but as silverhead said, Line 6 probably wouldn't investigate it as it is a very flaky and intermittent problem.

I sometimes get the same problem with the factory presets, but it always switches properly when switched with edit.

by Santuzzo on 2011-10-09 10:51:50

rcbeastly wrote:

I have had similar problems. It seems a patch created in edit sometimes won't work properly when switched to from the HD 500 footswitch - it behaves like a new tone - ie unprogrammed. Switching off and back on usually fixes the problem but as silverhead said, Line 6 probably wouldn't investigate it as it is a very flaky and intermittent problem.

I sometimes get the same problem with the factory presets, but it always switches properly when switched with edit.

Thanks for your input.

With me it's the same, this problem only occurs sometimes, not always. Today I tried to recreate it, and then it would not happen.

by wjoyce on 2012-01-30 01:31:50

I occasionally experience this and had it yesterday with my 500.  I created a patch and used "send selected" to save it to the unit.  I switched to a different patch then back to the recently saved patch and the volume had dipped by about 50%.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.