These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Flextone I / II / III / Duoverb / HD147

Flextone II XL crackling
by orphanstephen on 2011-09-01 22:22:07

One of my flextones is acting up.  I thought it was the master volume pot so I replaced it and that helped but I am still getting crackling like a bad pot.  I have cleaned all pots on the board and it is not affected by turning any of the pots.  It is intermitant and more common right at power up when the amp is cold.  after a few minutes it almost goes away just the occasional pop.  I can add echo to the crackle.  pluging into the fx loop return eliminates the crackling.  I have tried other guitars and it does it even with nothing plugged in at all.  there doesnt appear to be anything whong with the board,  not loos componets/connections.  Any ideas?  could a bad chip cause this?  I did do a few factory resets.  It was acting a little funny,  not switching channels and no sound at all at times.  Luckily I have another flextone II xl and a flextone hd so this may just become an extension cab.

I was going to record the sound but now its not doing it... go figure.

Stephen

Re: RE: Flextone II XL crackling
by Kneehow on 2011-09-02 10:33:50

It sounds as though the component that is the root cause of this intermittent sound is the mainboard/DSP, which handles all pre-power amp related tasks on the Flextone II amps.

I doubt it would've ever been the "pot", since these are digital data encoders (not analog pots you'd associate with actual analog amplifier circuits). The real processing of sound occurs in the DSP and it requires all it's associated hardware components on the mainboard to be in good working condition to provide "normal" modelling tasks. If a component starts to go bad, you may notice intermittent glitches like noises, parameters "jumping around between values on their own", among other symptoms.

Remember, even though it looks like an amplifier on the outside, the internal guts of your Flextone II have more in common with an older PC running Windows XP from back in the early to mid-2000's than any tube or transitor amplifier made between 1950 until 1997.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.