These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

XD-V70L Mic -- Better Pop Screen Available?
by BlueCalcite on 2011-09-02 07:11:25

Our company is using two of the XD-V70L systems to deliver PowerPoint presentations.  We have two speakers, each equipped with one of the systems.  One of the speakers is a very animated, excited talker, and we're finding that the small pop filter for his mic is not filtering out his excitement very well.  We were previously using a Shure analog system and didn't have this problem with that system (using the WL185 mics and their stock pop screens).  Other than this problem, we're very happy with the XD-V70L systems but would like to know if there is a better pop screen to use with these.  If Line 6 doesn't have one, any recommendations for another brand/model of screen that would be appropriate for these mics?

RE: XD-V70L Mic -- Better Pop Screen Available?
by Line6david on 2011-09-02 08:40:51

Hi,

Even the thickest pop screens can't stop every plosive. Your best bet is to EQ at the board.

Usually a low pass filter around 80 to 120HZ should stop or drastically reduce the plosive noise.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: XD-V70L Mic -- Better Pop Screen Available?
by BlueCalcite on 2011-09-02 10:17:52

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, our board is a rather basic one -- Allen & Heath ZED10 -- which has only three-band EQ.  It does have a high pass filter button on each channel (which I assume is what you meant by "low pass filter" -- high pass = low cut).  I had that HPF engaged, and I also had the low-frequency knob turned all the way down for the presentations.  For all I know, maybe that did eliminate a lot of them.  But enough are getting through to be distracting.

I know that the Shure WL185 mic came with a slightly bigger screen, and we didn't have any problems with that one.  Which is why I was hoping that a slightly larger screen on these mics would do the trick.  Or is the mic itself (regardless of screen) more susecptible than the WL185?

Re: RE: XD-V70L Mic -- Better Pop Screen Available?
by dboomer on 2011-09-02 11:10:38

Wind Tech make a large varity of windscreens.  It's usually just a trade off of size vs visual.

http://www.wind-tech.net/uploads/2010_WS_Catalog.pdf

Themic is not particularly different that the Shure wrt popping.  You could also try adjusting your mic placement.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.