These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

new instrumental song (metal) I recorded with the HD500
by Santuzzo on 2011-09-04 15:56:43

Hi,

Hi,

I finished a new song.
I'm still planning on improving the drum programming, and the mix still needs a lot of work, too.

You can listen to it in the attachemnt or by going to the music section my website the song I'm talking about is called 'Metal 7'.

Any kind of feedback on the sound, tone, especially the mix, playing, song, etc. is very welcome!

Thanks,
Lars

Re: new instrumental song (metal) I recorded with the HD500
by ronnied50 on 2011-09-05 06:24:21

This is Awesome!!!!!!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-05 09:07:35

Hi Lars

Nice work.  Great playing. 

Mix wise - I'd like to hear the drums brought forward a bit and possibly the melody line could do with coming forward a tiny bit too.  

Drum programming is always hard for me.  I mostly set up a basic drum pattern to get the bones of the song down and then I go back later and try to put some variation in there to stop it being too obviously programmed (I think - LOL), but I can spend days tweaking and adjusting and it's easy to go too far.  I much prefer to work with a real drummer where possible. With your drum track I don't actually think you need to do too much really as what's there suits the track very well

Overall sound and tone is great

Nick

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-05 14:30:18

ronnied50 wrote:

This is Awesome!!!!!!

Thank you very much !

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-05 14:33:21

nickmattocks wrote:

Hi Lars

Nice work.  Great playing. 

Mix wise - I'd like to hear the drums brought forward a bit and possibly the melody line could do with coming forward a tiny bit too.  

Drum programming is always hard for me.  I mostly set up a basic drum pattern to get the bones of the song down and then I go back later and try to put some variation in there to stop it being too obviously programmed (I think - LOL), but I can spend days tweaking and adjusting and it's easy to go too far.  I much prefer to work with a real drummer where possible. With your drum track I don't actually think you need to do too much really as what's there suits the track very well

Overall sound and tone is great

Nick

Hey Nick,

Thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words and feedback!

By drums and melody brought forward ,do you mean simply to turn up their volume a bit or change their EQ to make them sit better in the mix?

The whole mixing/processing is still very ddifficult for me, but I keep learning

I can't tell you how happy I am with the HD500!!!!

Lars

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-05 14:51:31

Hi Lars

I think I simply mean turn them up a bit but that may change the dymanics too much, so you might need to use some kind of side-chain ducking process in the mix where the melody part is concerned so that the overall voulume remains but that the melody cuts through a bit more.  EQ might help too as too much might be fighting for the same frequencies.

Don't make huge changes though by any means.  Softly, softly would be the approach I'd adopt, and make sure you keep any mix automation info and any mix settings as a snapshot every time you have made a small change, so you can always go back.

I'm no expert on getting the foolproof best mix, but the mix you have put up here is not at all bad IMO and only needs some slight adjustments in my opinion.

Nick

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-05 15:41:36

Hi Nick,

Thanks again.

Side-chaining is already way over my head, I have hear about it,and I do have a rough idea of what it is and what it does, but that's about it. I'm really still a noob with mixing. LOL.

But I will keep your suggestions in mind when I work on this mix the next time (unfortunately I only have time in the weekends to work on recording/mixing...).

Thanks again for listening and your feedback, it means a lot to me!

Lars

by meambobbo on 2011-09-05 18:19:13

sounds great!

as for advice, i agree with nick.  definitely moreso with the melody/solo guitar track than the drums.  right now the melody/solo track feels clearly buried.

I'd try to simply boost the volume on the melody track first.  If that makes the mix feel too "cluttered" or noisy (it'll sound like the rhythm and melody tracks are "fighting" for the same space), then I'd try to boost a specific EQ range that allows it to "cut" through.  I would imagine that if needs be, you could scoop (cut the low mids) the rhythm tracks a little more, and then boost those mids on your melody track.

by Santuzzo on 2011-09-05 23:12:21

meambobbo wrote:

sounds great!

as for advice, i agree with nick.  definitely moreso with the melody/solo guitar track than the drums.  right now the melody/solo track feels clearly buried.

I'd try to simply boost the volume on the melody track first.  If that makes the mix feel too "cluttered" or noisy (it'll sound like the rhythm and melody tracks are "fighting" for the same space), then I'd try to boost a specific EQ range that allows it to "cut" through.  I would imagine that if needs be, you could scoop (cut the low mids) the rhythm tracks a little more, and then boost those mids on your melody track.

Thank you very much !

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.