These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Disconnecting speakers...
by jesuscares on 2011-09-07 00:21:16

How do I disconnect the speakers from the amp on m Mk2 amp? Is it ok to disconnect speakers & use just the amp section for line out recording?

Re: Disconnecting speakers...
by SSstormtrooper on 2011-09-07 02:10:17

Leave it in standby mode and hook up the xlr out to your mixer or audio interface and there you go.Make sure to set your DI output to "Studio" mode and don't bump the standby switch by accident.

*Never run any tube amp with the speakers disconnected! The electricity created needs to go somewhere and it is drained into the speakers.You could seriously damage your amp by trying to run it with no speaker load.

I have the SpiderValve mkii HD 100 head and have read to never run it with out a cabinet(speaker load) or there will be serious damage.There is a cheat if people so wish but be fore warned about the dangers.One can put the amp in standby mode and run it with no speaker load because the power output tubes aren't on and only the pre-amp tubes are fired up,but....one false move by you,little kids or a dog or something bumping that switch out of standby mode and your amp is frazzled.So I suggest always keeping speakers or a "hot plate" connected at all times.

A Line 6 expert can tell you for sure but for now I'd stick to what I'm saying

by spaceatl on 2011-09-07 17:51:09

In theory, leaving it on standby should not damage it...However, if the switch ever got bumped without a load attached you could blow the output tranny...And when an output tranny goes, it almost always takes something else with it...You could be lucky if the fuses blew in time I think...

You could pull the power amp fuse...Likely, this would disabled the power amp completely, but likely the heaters would still be burning since that fuse is internal...

Another way to protect yourself is to just remove the tubes...The amp is not likely designed to run like that, but is likely safer than running with no load at all...

Personally, I won't run a tube amp without a load attached...One thing you could use a dummy load...basically, this is what those fancy annodized boxes that cost too much contain...But this is more like what a tech uses on a bench...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=019-020

by jesuscares on 2011-09-07 23:15:02

The reason why I wanted to disconnect speakers is because they are too loud to use in m home studio area.But with all those risks involved I wouldn't go that route! Besides it's not worth using the amp with just the preamp tubes.I wish there was a way to turn off the amp volume & just send the entire signal to the XLR out.

(BTW on stage if I use the XLR out,do I need to use a direct box?)

by spaceatl on 2011-09-08 09:11:58

MK2 will send XLR direct in standby...You have to set that as there are two flavors of direct on MK2...If it is Live Mode then it pulls off the output tranny and tracks to the Master volume...You can run direct in stanby with a MK2 and a Mk1 (non SVPre mod)...What's the problem?

You don't need a direct box...just punch into the snake directly with an XLR cable...Message was edited by: spaceatl

RE: Disconnecting speakers...
by Line6Don on 2011-09-08 14:08:23

Hey jesuscares,

I would suggest to use the Direct Out XLR output for home recording.

I would suggest to use the live mode for the Direct Out so that it can take advantage of the Power amp's tone. Make sure not to disconnect any of the speaker leads. I would say you could take the amp out of standby and keep it at a low volume so that the amp can be used to monitor your sound, try to use as much master volume as you can.

For more information on how to adjust the Direct Output modes, reference page 3-4 of the Spider Valve MKII Advanced Users guide at the link below:

http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a060072bd264aca7babf058d/application/pdf/Spider%20Valve%20MkII%20Advanced%20Guide%20(Rev%20A)%20-%20English.pdf

Re: RE: Disconnecting speakers...
by jesuscares on 2011-09-08 21:09:34

Thanks a lot for the replies.Can you tell me how to turn on the Live Mode? This is what I found on page 3.4 of the manual -

"

"Press the down arrow to edit your Direct Out setting. Your choices are Studio, which uses the DSP output, or Performance, which taps off the power amp transformer."

By Live mode did you mean the Performance mode?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-08 23:12:21

jesuscares wrote:

By Live mode did you mean the Performance mode?

Yes - Performance mode is what is meant by Live mode

by jesuscares on 2011-09-09 14:44:44

So on performance mode we have both switches set to on right? Maybe I will wrap a thick blanket around the speaker to keep the vol down.I gues the vol issue has been the #1 issue in this amp from what i read on the forums.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-10 04:57:11

Yes - you have to have the Power and Standby switches ON to use Performance mode. 

You could investigate a Speaker Isolation cabinet which effectively is like putting a loudspeaker in a thick concrete underground bunker in terms of sound proofing, but you can also put a mic in there and mic up your cab without disturbing a soul.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_cabinet_(guitar)

Aternatively too - and probably cheaper, you could simply buy a suitable dummy load capable of taking in excess of 100w and connect that in place of your speaker cab which will protect the amp.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.