These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Noises with magnetics when using VDI cable
by OZLO on 2011-09-07 05:53:31

Hi!

I got some noise when I play my JTV 59 through the VDI cable to my POD X3 Live uns use the magnetic pickups. There is a noise, not very loud but yet slightly disturbing, that is changing with the sounds I use on my POD. On some patches I hear a permanent nois, in others it is chopped. When I use the Variax unpowered with a TS Jack cable and no battery the same magnetic pickups are completely slilent when I play at the same volume. Could the Variax electronic disturb the magnetics when running? Or is my Varaix possibly damaged (it's new)? I hope someone can explain that to my.

Thanks a lot, OZLO

Re: Noises with magnetics when using VDI cable
by edstar1960 on 2011-09-07 07:48:12

Hi Ozlo,

I received a replacement JTV59-TSB last week (serial number begins W1104) - and I had a very similar problem with noise on the mag pu's when using with VDI via X3L and I also had noise on many of the model sounds too - but what concerned me most was this constant noise from the mag pu's that varied depending on patch being used on X3L  -  it was almost like there was a bad earth because noise gets quieter when I touch the bridge or strings.

Anyway - I spoke to Line6 UK directly about this and they said they would need it back for repair. So it has been sent back and is currently with Line6. I hope I will get it back next week.

I would recommend you contact your dealer and alert them to the problem and discuss with them - maybe they can send you a replacement or maybe they will liaise with Line6 and get your JTV59 repaired for you.

Good luck!

Best Regards

Eddie

RE: Noises with magnetics when using VDI cable
by Line6bakker on 2011-09-08 04:10:02

Hi,

I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Line6 support

Re: RE: Noises with magnetics when using VDI cable
by fredo_ on 2011-09-26 13:50:43

Same problem here with my brand new JTV 69 (Korean) and also brand new POD HD 500 :-(

Same patch on the POD :

- magnetic pickup through VDI cable = big hiss / noise

- same pickup througn standard jack cable = perfectly silent

Is my JTV broken ?

[EDIT] I actually ran some more tests, and the noise appears as soon as I plug the VDI cable into the Variax, even when using the guitar input on the POD and a standard jack cable. For example, with both VDI and standard jack links between the JTV and the POD, I have noise on both "Guitar" and "Variax Ch 2" inputs ; and as soon as I disconnect the VDI cable from the Variax, "Guitar" input becomes clean.[/EDIT]

Thanks for your help !

Regards,

Fredo.

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 01:24:01

I have a very similar issue with my JTV59-TSB.

I am currently discussing the problem with Line6 UK and they believe my particular JTV59 is faulty.

Cheers

Eddie

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 08:18:19

Hi Ozlo,

What is the current status of this problem with your JTV ?

Has it been resolved?

Cheers

Eddie

by mike-w on 2011-10-24 01:42:16

Is it the VDI cable or maybe an op-amp that is activated by using the VDI?

My Korean JTV-69 is the same, although, certainly I would have noticed a rush coming from it in the previous couple of weeks and considered a prompt return.  The noise popped up yesterday - a load of hiss and digital pulsing - on the pickups only.  A 1/4" cable only was quiet.  With the VDI I had to use a model for a quiet song. The noise goes up and down with the volume knob, which feels like a bad op-amp to me.

The VDI cable is also suspect.  I wonder if a CAT-6 spec cable or some sort of shielding would cut down on noise and interference.  There isn't any analog going down that VDI cable is there?

If I had a wireless I'd try applying these links for wireless VDI to eliminate the cable:

http://www.vettaville.nl/pagmore.php?id=166

http://www.vettaville.net/Vetta%202.5%20Wireless.pdf

Surelysomeone has tried this and might be able to give us some input.

I waited 10 months for this guitar.  Other threads aren't giving me any real confidence in receiving a timely or completely satisfactory replacement.  That said, when I bought an XT Live and later an X3 Live, they each required replacements. Maybe I should expect the same here, but I'd hate to send it back at this point because it's exactly what I need.  I've got another week to trade it in. 

I also have some concerns about the E strings going off the neck.  I'm not a great player, but this is the first guitar in 40 years where I've found myself doing that.

I'll get it on WorkBench this week and see if I need to update some firmware or something.

by edstar1960 on 2011-10-24 05:12:29

If I use my JTV with the VDI connected to my HD500 and ensure that the HD500 is also connected to an amp either using the XLR direct or 1/4" live outputs, as long as that amp is plugged into the mains outlet (it does not need to be switched on) - then I don't get the hiss on the mags or the grounding earthing issues.

However, if I use my HD500 standalone(i: not connected to any amp) then I get bad earthing issues with the JVT connected via VDI or 1/4" jack to the HD500.

Does your JTV69 have this problem in all connection scenarios or only when connected to an HD500 standalone (ie: not connected to an amp or mixer). ?

I also discovered today that a problem I encountered last week with using the VDI and 1/4" jack outputs from the JTV at the same time seems to have resolved itself today - as I cannot reproduce the problem.  I am not confident the problem has actually gone but it certainly is not raising its head today - maybe it will come back - I don't know. It's weird.  Just as it's weird that your guitar was fine and then hit the hiss and pulse problem on the mags.  I wonder whether your problem will disappear in a few weeks or if it will remain constant from now on.

Hope you get it resolved one way or another.

by davidb7170 on 2011-10-24 19:11:27

The mags are just regular pups, so have all the same issues that other magnetic pickups have. The humbuckers are a lot less noisy than single coils, but not perfect. I hear the same hiss pumping with my regular guitars plugged into my X3L, and on mine, it's the noise gate setting being just at the threshold of the noise from the guitar. It's worse in my computer room -- 2 pc's and a network router -- very hashy RFI possible. Mag pickups also dislike light dimmers and neon lights. If I push the setting up just a scosh, the pumping quiets down. The needed gate level will vary depending on the noise level you're around. You gotta be careful and hit the right balance of it, though, as too much gating can suck the tone out of the signal. The JTV models have no emf hum going on, so don't get influenced by stray RFI and don't pump the gate...

My 2 cents worth....

Dave

by mike-w on 2011-11-02 09:07:32

Guess I'll lead with a question since it seems important to the moderators that a question be asked to keep a thread alive.

¿How can you say the question is "assumed answered" when the guitar on the VDI cable - which is important for the gig I'm doing in terms of switching models with my X3L - is unusable?  This is why many of us bought this guitar and one of it's strongest features is worthless.

Even adjusting the noise gate, I was only able to cut the noise by about 1/3, but still, doing volume swells in a quiet song, it's pulsing and hissing away.

I don't buy it that the noise I have is just normal single coil noise.  The JTV-69 and my Strat are both quite fine with 1/4 " cables.  The VDI is the problem.  I even bought some really stiff shielded ether cable and made my own VDI - same problem.  FWIW, I play live in a couple of different spaces weekly and the noise is no different in either environment.

Line 6 guys -- please get your heads back in this thread and let's get some real answers for the problem here. Eddie, no, the issue hasn't been resolved and question hasn't been answered and I hope Line 6 understands this.

by edstar1960 on 2011-11-02 09:35:42

Hi mike-w,

Unfortunately Line6 won't be reviewing a thread that has been marked answered - you will need to start your own new thread marked as a question to get Line6 to respond. That's just the way these support forums work, I'm afraid.   The best way to get information, advice and help from Line6 is to phone them directly. Click the ":Contact Us"  link right at the bottom of any web page on the Line6 site to get their direct phone numbers for both the UK and USA.

I know from my discussions with the Line6 UK team that there is a hiss issue when using mags with the VDI, caused by the analog to digital converter I believe, and that has been escalated to the USA for further research and hopefully resolution in a future firmware upgrade (that's just speculation on my part) but  this level of hiss is expected and should not be significant and should not make the guitar unusable.  However, if the hiss is significant and makes the guitar unusable then I would think it is a fault and you need to get Line6 to take a look and repair it for you.

I am on my 3rd JTV59 (2nd replacement) - and this one seems perfect - but it does have the hiss on the mags when using the VDI but it is not significant like it was on my 2nd JTV59 so I can live with it, and it does not have any earthing issues unlike the 2nd JTV59 which had very bad earthing issues as well as weird radio noises on some of the model sounds (specifically the 12 string models and some of the custom alt tunings).

I recommend you call Line6 direct and discuss your problem with them.

Hope you get it sorted and please let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Best Regards

Eddie

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-02 09:44:01

edstar1960 wrote:

Hi mike-w,

Unfortunately Line6 won't be reviewing a thread that has been marked answered - y

kind of true...

the message will get cued up again if the original poster responds after support has responded...

so they see it... not sure how closely they look since alot of those post answer replies are the equivilent of "thanks..."

if you aren't the original poster... (and you aren't)  the advice to open your own thread was spot on though.

by mike-w on 2011-11-16 22:09:19

Thanks Eddie,

L&M ordered another guitar for me.  I'll take my X3L and check it out tomorrow.

by fredo_ on 2011-11-19 12:19:27

I don't buy it that the noise I have is just normal single coil noise.  The JTV-69 and my Strat are both quite fine with 1/4 " cables.  The VDI is the problem.  I even bought some really stiff shielded ether cable and made my own VDI - same problem.  FWIW, I play live in a couple of different spaces weekly and the noise is no different in either environment.

Actually the noise is not coming from the signal being transferred through the VDI cable but from the guitar being powered by VDI.

See my thread on this here : http://line6.com/support/thread/71849?tstart=0

Youcan make the test yourself : plug your guitar to the POD or to an amp with a standard 1/4" jack cable => everything is fine. Then, keeping the 1/4" jack plugged, just add the VDI connection, and here it comes: big hiss/noise even on the signal coming from the 1/4" jack cable.

Line6 support told me that it's a normal "feature" of all JTVs and that they don't have a solution for now...

Sad enough.

Regards,

Fredo.

by mike-w on 2011-11-19 16:49:29

Hi Fredo,

Are the words "normal" and "feature" a direct quote from someone at Line 6?  Bad choice of words if so.

If I read the intent of this amazing guitar's features right, the VDI and power available to you using an X3 or HD 500, should be awesome.  But, if using one of their pedals with this guitar messes up the sound - and using this gear is ultimately about the sound - then I say it's a defect, not a feature.  I that case, we need an upgrade to a new "normal".

I traded my first JTV-69 for another.  I think it's somewhat better with noise, and significantly improved with the high E running off the finger board - still close though.  (Play a D chord and do a pull off with your 2nd finger.)  I'll know more about the noise when I gig tomorrow.

If what they are saying is their guitars are incompatible with their pedals, and that's just normal -- there are a couple big problems here.

by fredo_ on 2011-11-20 01:57:58

About the quoted "feature" word, I must confess it's just me teasing Line 6 and trying to pump up the subject to give it more priority in their TODO list ;-).

The answer I got is coming from Line6 Europe and is about the same as the one Eddie got from Line6 UK: they reported the problem to Line6 US and are waiting for an analysis from them.

My answer was in French, but they were talking about a known issue of all the JTVs with no solution at this point.

I have some (limited) knowledge in electronics, and I fear that the issue is a wrong design in the power stage of the DSP board (probably missing a RF/EM filter, and disturbing the analog pickups when powered with an unclean DC power source (POD vs. battery pack)).

When I'll find some time I will try adding a RF/EM filter on the power line of the VDI cable to check this theory.

Unfortunately, if I'm right, no firmware update will be able to fix this, and I don't think that Line 6 will patch the DSP board of all the JTVs out there !...

Maybe they will provide a special VDI cable with the filter in it ?...

Regards,

Fredo.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.