These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

New Warmoth Neck on my JTV69
by litesnsirens on 2011-09-08 23:14:05

I know it seems like blasphemy to tinker with such a beautiful guitar and while I am excited about it I do feel a little bad about it. I certainly don't mean any disrespect to Line 6 or James Tyler it's just that sometimes you get used to certain profile and the neck on the 69 is thicker than I am used to playing and occasionally I would encounter the slip off on the E string (both high and low). 

It became evident fairly early on that this guitar was going to be my main guitar so I figured I should have a neck on it that really suited me.  It's a Warmoth Pro construction 25 1/2 " scale but 1 11/16' at the nut (as opposed to the 1 5/8" on the original neck) and the fret shoulders are steeper so there is no slipping off anymore.  I got the stainless steel frets, standard thin profile and the 10 - 16" compound radius.  The wood on the neck and fretboard are African Padouk, it's unfinished and it doesn't require any finish.  I am not even finished setting it up and I can say without a doubt it's the nicest neck I have ever played on it is such a silky feeling wood, I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of putting a new neck on any guitar. 

Re: New Warmoth Neck on my JTV69
by xtcguitar on 2011-09-09 07:47:55

is that a direct bolt on replacement? as in no modifications to get it on the guitar?  i absolutely hate the stock 69 neck its horrible, the worst neck i have ever played.. the e string slipping really annoys me.

by litesnsirens on 2011-09-09 10:34:38

If you are asking about the heel fit, it's perfect it was actually a smidge more snug than the original neck.  As has been mentioned of this forum before, 3 out of 4 of the pilot holes match up, there is just that one offset bolt for which you will have to drill your own pilot hole.  I didn't bother plugging the other hole on the neck you can't see it, it's still covered by body of the guitar.  The neck didn't come with pilot holes for the machine heads but I found that by getting them pretty snug with the nut on the front it was just a matter of using a straight edge at the back to get them all straight I drilled the pilot holes with the machine heads in place and then just put the screws in.

I finished the setup this morning a little tweaking of the truss rod, and some adjustments on the bridge saddle heights and I now have the action perfect not a buzz to be heard any string, any fret. I could probably take it lower but I like it where I have it now ... which is just a bit lower than the original neck was set up for.

I really do notice the difference on the compound radius, it's just like Warmoth claims, nice and comfy for chording at the nut and a little flatter as you get up around the 12 fret so bending is easier.  In short it plays like a dream now... I have the best of all worlds.

by laelamiles on 2011-09-09 23:52:48

So the JTV has made it to Canada? Well done replacing the defective neck. Can't complain about the 59 though, lovely guitar.

by litesnsirens on 2011-09-10 07:39:31

Hey Laelamiles, all I can say is this JTV made it to Canada I have heard rumblings that there are now some 59's to be found.  I got this end of July when it seemed bo one else up here had one.  And the serial number would suggest its one of the earlier made guitars made in Dec 2010 #104 of the batch.  It's interesting to me to ponder how it wound up in my hands but at the end of the day I'm extremely grateful that it's here.  Thanks for the compliment, I'm not much of a guitar repair guy but I took a shot and it turned out perfect so I'm happy and gained some experience along the way.

by laelamiles on 2011-09-10 12:00:54

Glad you got one then.

I'm sure intrigued by the Warmoth neck... that's one good thing about a bolt-on I guess, you can always mix and match to your preference.

Nice work, either way!

by McBrain on 2011-10-01 14:02:02

Looks great! I'm thinking about doing the same. If the neck is "Warmoth Pro" doesn't it have the Gotoh side-adjuster? Was that not a problem with the 'moved' neck screw?

by litesnsirens on 2011-10-01 18:10:56

No, on the Warmoth site it says that with certain Fenders that have the offset bolt that it will be on a collision course with the side adjuster screw, as it turns out though on the JTV that offset bolt doesn't line up with the adjuster screw.  Fortunately for me I didn't see that warnng until after I bought the neck and installed it.  Just blind luck that it worked out, but if i had read that earlier it might have scared me off from buying the neck. 

by McBrain on 2011-10-02 02:19:04

Thanks for answering. That is good news. I want the 24.75" conversion neck which is only available in the Pro construction. I was afraid that I had to buy a neck with an angled headstock, and that should not be good for tuning stability when using the tremolo. Did you use the Variax tuners? If so, what ream size did you choose?

by litesnsirens on 2011-10-03 16:01:50

Yes, I used the variax tuners, I believe I read somewhere that they were Gotoh style tuners so I selected the Gotoh/Grover for the ream.  Be sure to get the stainles frets, it's worth the little extra cost.  And do post up here with the final product, I'd love to see it.

by McBrain on 2011-10-05 10:20:42

Will do. Thanks again.

by pappywatts on 2011-10-12 02:20:25

Well it's good to hear that the Canucks have started to receive their JTV's

Incidentally I posted here, around four months ago:-

http://line6.com/support/message/280559#280559

aboutswapping tylers korean neck out for a Warmoth pro quality, and another Brit had done some similiar work on his 69, am pleased to report I've gigged the guitar throughout the summer, with no problems and the change in neck has dramatically improved the playing experience.

by mrscaryz on 2011-10-22 14:00:52

Which neck should I order from Warmoth for my JTV69 I'b a bit confused? seems like there are so many choices on their website I don't know where to start?

by sdunmire on 2012-05-21 20:23:38

Anyone?

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-21 22:54:38

Well it appears standard strat necks fit the JTV 69.  So from there, figure out what you like just work within the framework of a 22fret modern strat neck.  Other than that, I chose 1 11/16 width at the nut to give me a little more string clearance from the high E to the edge of the fretboard. 

by markcockerill on 2012-05-22 13:38:33

I be the Brit you speak of. On Saturday I bought a new neck for my Warmoth guitar from where I borrowed the neck for the JTV 69. I have gigged the 69 every week since I swapped it out, must be a year ago now. I paid £100 for the new strat neck for my Warmoth body and it is every bit as good as the Warmoth neck. I bought the new neck over here in Blighty and I must say I am very pleased with it. I nabbed the tuners off the Variax 69 neck and stuck em on the new neck. Bobs yer uncle, easy peasey. Two hours later and I'm playing the best strat I've ever owned, I really have missed it having had no neck for a year. The 69 isn't bad either.

warmoth and JTV.jpg

by kylesalone on 2012-06-04 13:01:03

I am pretty much a newbie to all of this...  will this one work?

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Type=1&Paint=1&Path=Strat,Warmoth%20Pro,Finished&sort=price&i=sn9760

And">http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Type=1&Paint=1&Path=Strat,Warmoth%20Pro,Finished&sort=price&i=sn9760">http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Type=1&Paint=1&Path=Strat,Warmoth%20Pro,Finished&sort=price&i=sn9760

Andthen just have someone install it with the Variax tuners? How much should I pay someone?

Thanks

by litesnsirens on 2012-06-05 04:07:27

Yup that should work.  I wound up putting my own on but the variax tuners will fit perfectly.  3 of the 4 holes line up properly so you just need to drill one pilot hole for the 4th screw, which I did with the other 3 screws in.  I also put the two E strings on so that I could make sure the neck was sitting straight before I drilled the pilot hole.  you'll need to drill pilot holes for the tuners as well.  The way I conquered that was to put them all on with the front nuts and washers only. Then using a straight edge on the back I was able to square them all up and drill the pilot holes and screw them in all while they were in place.  If you're careful you should be able to manage.  If you need to take it to someone for a final set up then it might save you a bit.  If you don't feel confident taking on the job, I don't think it should cost you too much.  I don't think I would want to pay more than $150 for a job like that including set up.

by kylesalone on 2012-06-05 05:51:07

Thank you so much for your reply. How about even a decent used strat mim neck or squire for that matter... its so depressing that the neck on the variax 69 is so... cluncky.. dang

by litesnsirens on 2012-06-05 07:07:36

Well I wouldn't want to say for sure.  It seems that the Warmoth necks are standard to fit strat bodies and in fact Warmoth is licenced by Fender to build their parts.  So while it would stand to reason that a strat neck would fit the JTV because the warmoth neck fits.  I wouldn't say I'm sure because I haven't tried it, and the next question would be whether or not there is any spec difference between the American Strat necks and the MIM Strat necks.

by silverhead on 2012-06-05 07:16:31

I know that when I ordered a Warmoth neck for my Variax 300 I had to specify that the neck was for a Variax guitar. It seemed pretty clear that a standard Srat neck was not the correct choice/fit. This certainly applied to the bolt hole locations in the neck - I don't know if it applied to other neck specifications.

I would be cautious about assuming that a standard Strat neck would fit the JTV69; check the specs very carefully.

by bigjase on 2013-01-06 19:47:54

Hi Litesnsirens,

Thanks for the informative post. I have given up on my stock neck after over a year and will be ordereing a Warmoth.

I have read elsewhere in the forums that the frets on the these necks us not dressed and polished. Can you confirm the status of the frets when you recived the neck? Was is a stright drop in or did it need to be finished off?

Also did you go with the graphtech nut and if so does it come pre cut?

Cheers,

Jason

by kylesalone on 2013-01-07 10:11:18

I put a mighty mite neck on my jtv69. It now plays AWESOME. I've never installed a neck before, and this was simple. I had to raise the action so I didnt have any buzz and the action is very low and it feels great and plays like butter.20121210_111059_resized.jpg

20121210_111113.jpg

I also designed a custom headstock and printed it on water-slide paper. Printed it right off my deskjet and its pretty cool. I added a tree of life jackamo inlay sticker kit and its all set (not shown)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.