These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

Tried to update vetta and now it doesn't work at all
by bobkinney24 on 2011-09-10 11:40:19

I recently posted this question about my vetta and was told to try a different midi cable. Here was my reply. I'm posting this so other people don't make the same mistake I did and lose their vetta for good.  Long story short, don't try to upgrade as it cost me my thousand dollar amp even though I did everything correct... I actually used the midi sport UNO the first time. I tried several other times. I then called line 6 and they said I have to take it in. I took it to their liscenced repair shop and after 85 dollars and a weeks waiting he told me line 6 told him there's nothing that can be done. I think line 6 should reimburse me for telling me to take it in, Only to tell the repair shop it can't be fixed. Not happy my thousand dollar amp is worthless. I loved the vetta and would buy another but I can't take the risk of losing that much money again. I wish I would have known about this problem before trying to upgrade. It was not worth losing my amp and now I will never buy a line 6 product again. I've been devastated for a week and it really bothers me how much it took to get this amp for it to be worthless now. Thanks for the user suggestions though, not your guys fault. Shame on line 6 this time

Re: Tried to update vetta and now it doesn't work at all
by TheRealZap on 2011-09-10 11:49:19

where are you located and which shop did you go to?

i still think using another interface is viable...

i believe that the amp still has value and could be saved in the right hands...

by DeanKeaton on 2011-09-12 11:11:08

Bob... was this a Vetta I or Vetta II?  Either way, you need to understand that the Vetta is NOT a guitar amp.  It's a computer with speakers in it.  Vetta owners have a hard time understanding this.

Regardless of anyone's opinion, a guitar amp is a Marshall, Mesa, Fender etc.  Old school technology with tubes and wires, NOT circuit boards!  That's why those amps last a forever!

Put it this way... Vetta I is almost 10 years old at this point.  My old desktop computer was 6 years old when the motherboard gave out.  I spent $1500 on that computer.  Did I call Dell and tell them that their product sucks and that I'll never buy another Dell computer ever again?  No, I took the hard drive out, and bought another Dell because it kicked ass for those 6 years!  Also when you break it down it's pretty cheap.  $1500 divided by 6 years, divided by 12 months = $20.83 a month!  You probably spend 4 times that on your cable TV or cell phone every month!!!

It's funny people have no problem dumping $1000 on a new computer every 3 to 5 years, but when their 10 year old Vetta sh*ts the bed, it's the end of the world and Line 6 sucks.  This is the world we live in, it's a competitive market and more and more products are becoming disposable.  I have a Mesa dual rectifier that I've had for 16 years, and still works perfect.  I've also gone through countless Line 6 products, DL4's, POD's, you name it.  A lot of it has broken and I've had to repair or replace it.  But that's the same with any company.  I've also gone through a ton of Roland gear and oddly the only pedal i have from them that still works is my Metal Zone.

Bottom line is that yes it's unfortunate your amp doesn't work anymore, and every Vetta owner knows how much you spent on it.  But it's a computer and over time computers fail.

If you really can't let the amp go, try bringing it back to the same service center and tell the tech to send the mother board back to Line 6 for them to fix it.  It CAN be done!  But i'd expect to pay around $350-$400 for the repair.

Good luck and have a nice day.

by guitargrinder on 2011-09-12 12:16:54

I had the same issue.  I recently bought a used Vetta (around May) and went to update it using a MIDI Uno sport (or whatever you call it) and it failed and put my amp in a bad state.  After working with it for 5 hours, using MIDI-ox as a diagnostic tool, I discovered that the Uno sport was recieving data, but not sending.  I was using the Windows driver (not the actual driver from MIDI Uno)   So, I went to the MIDI UNo SPort website to get the actual driver and tried again and it worked!!!   That was my experience.....  I hope this helps....

by bobkinney24 on 2011-09-16 09:43:51

Dean Keaton, line 6, and their licensed repair shop are all idiots. Thank you so much to guitar grinder for saving my life! I've tried for a month and explained everything I did on several posts and you finally did it! I owe you so much man I can't thank you enough! Honestly

by MerlinFL on 2011-09-16 17:18:51

I'm surprised that it took someone to to figure out that in the UNO SPORT directions it says that you need to have the drivers installed before using or it might not work properly regardless of what you are connecting it to.

However, this answer should have been offered immediately by ANY Line 6 rep first to learn your specific situation.  but first the QUESTION should have been asked like Dean did.  THAT is EXCELLENT TECH SUPPORT!!  Don't know why Line 6 has gone so downhill so rapidly since 2007, but I guess when you have more money than god making Spider amps the biggest retail selling amp IN THE WORLD, then who cares about much anything else, right??

Now back to the computerization age...

MCI (and others) came up with computerized recording consoles that moved faders and remembered ANYTHING you did about 30 years ago (you can see one of those consoles in the "Every Little Thing" Police video where Sting is literally dancing on top of it - YIKES!!!) and it cost over $250,000.00 for the basic model.

Then we had about 20+ years ago a revolutionary keyboard no regular person could afford that was computer based called the "Fairlight".  You can hear this terrific cutting edge instrument on the Yes "DRAMA" album as one of only a few keyboard could afford it and then even understand how to work it.  That keyboardist is Geoff Downes.  you can even see it in older "Buggles" and Yes videos he played in especially the song Tempu Fugit.  It's the giant keyboard with the tiny little old style Apple 2C screen on it.  AND for those who like trivia - the ENTIRE PYROMANIA album was recorded using this keyboard Mutt Lang had to create the now famous Def Leppard sound.  Don't believe me?  Look it up.

And lets not forget the most important thing - 99.9% of all recording done at the pro level TODAY is done on automated consoles with computers connected running software instead of all the physical outboard gear like the good old days!!

I LOVE this answer by Dean.  This is 1,000,000,000% correct ladies and gentlemen.  Welcome ot the age of computers running the world and now even stepping into the music business...

Regardless of anyone's opinion, a guitar amp is a Marshall, Mesa, Fender etc.  Old school technology with tubes and wires, NOT circuit boards!  That's why those amps last a forever!

Put it this way... Vetta I is almost 10 years old at this point.  My old desktop computer was 6 years old when the motherboard gave out.  I spent $1500 on that computer.  Did I call Dell and tell them that their product sucks and that I'll never buy another Dell computer ever again?  No, I took the hard drive out, and bought another Dell because it kicked *** for those 6 years!  Also when you break it down it's pretty cheap.  $1500 divided by 6 years, divided by 12 months = $20.83 a month!  You probably spend 4 times that on your cable TV or cell phone every month!!!

It's funny people have no problem dumping $1000 on a new computer every 3 to 5 years, but when their 10 year old Vetta sh*ts the bed, it's the end of the world and Line 6 sucks.  This is the world we live in, it's a competitive market and more and more products are becoming disposable.  I have a Mesa dual rectifier that I've had for 16 years, and still works perfect.  I've also gone through countless Line 6 products, DL4's, POD's, you name it.  A lot of it has broken and I've had to repair or replace it.  But that's the same with any company.  I've also gone through a ton of Roland gear and oddly the only pedal i have from them that still works is my Metal Zone.

Bottom line is that yes it's unfortunate your amp doesn't work anymore, and every Vetta owner knows how much you spent on it.  But it's a computer and over time computers fail.

I wished I had seen this thread sooner.  Great job Dean - and Shame on you Line 6 rep!!  Learn your gear before you get involved please.  Fair enough to ask from tech support??  I KNOW "Line6Miller" would have handled this quickly, correctly, and in with care and compassion for your situation and frustration.

Take care,

Neal

PS - if anyone want Vetta answers, I'm happy to help.  Been gigging constantly with them since 2003 and know them pretty darn well with all the changes that have occured in the past 8+ years.  Now I just added all the new guitar gear to my Vetta to enhance what my Vetta has been doing all this time.

by guitargrinder on 2011-10-12 19:31:05

I feel your pain and also know how good I felt when my amp started updating.   Glad I could help.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.