These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Screamer - How does it work?
by Ax3M4n on 2011-09-10 14:32:03

Original TS808/TS9 has 1 EQ control - "Tone"

POD HD has 3 - Tone, Treble and Bass.

Obvious answer is - it gives you more adjustement - but it's not the answer I am looking for.

Original gave you an option of transparency - dial in the rough EQ you had with the "Effect Off" -  OR - dial in more tonal colour as desired.

POD HD version is very interactive - slight adjustment of one EQ control massively affects the already-dialled-in values of the other two. Its a nightmare - its like trying to nail jelly to a wall.   Black-Magic Balancing act.

Can any Line 6 expert bods let me know what the "zero" effect value for Bass and Treble are.  I'm not convinced it's "50%" , also the default values are very toppy (like a treble boost) - so it's not that either.

Having more control is very nice, but I'd like to know how to cancel them out of the equation if possible.

Re: Screamer - How does it work?
by phil_m on 2011-09-10 14:53:45

50% is the zero value for treble and bass. The mid control is analagous to the tone knob on the real pedal, which is really kind of an unfortunate label. A tubescreamer's tone control really has more to do with the treble than the mids, but that's how it works. I've actually done some A/B with some TS clones and the Line 6 model, and I can get them pretty close. I usually leave the treble and bass at 50%, adjust the tone knob until I like it, and then only mess with the other EQ parameters for fine tuning.

by meambobbo on 2011-09-10 23:03:49

i agree, but i would add, if you feel the TS effect is cutting out your bass, turn the bass parameter up.  I almost always keep treble at 50%, but I'll often keep the bass parameter at 70-90% to make sure the tone isn't TOO bright.

by gregr on 2011-09-10 23:10:45

People often prefer Tube Screamers because they do just that: tighten up your tone.

As for the "Tone" control, it's really more of a high-mid/low-treble boost; like the bass, high treble is also de-emphasized.

I think I prefer the TS-9 model in the DigiTech RP series over the Screamer model in the HD series.  The higher-end DigiTechs also have a "modded" version of the TS-9 that doesn't cut the lows.

by Ax3M4n on 2011-09-11 08:24:59

Thanks for response.  I'll give it a try again with the "50% = zero EQ effect".

The way I have approached this is to go one step at a time.  I've been trying to create a Base Tone patch for U2/Edge on a Strat before adding all the funky stuff (delays etc).

I started with just a Vox AC30TB amp model - dialled the EQ on that.  Then I added a reverb (spring), then I added a compressor (Red) - all this for the CLEAN tone. Having got all that tuned in I added the screamer (post comp).  I was trying to tune in the screamer so it added more drive but didn't drastically affect the overall tone - as I believe the Edge does.  This is where I ran into difficulty.

Knowing the Edge probably only has a "Tone" control to play with, I figured a good model would require 1 sweep of the dial to zero in on the tone. Except it didn't.

I play an open chord and let it ring while switching the Screamer On and Off listening to the change - what I want to hear is added grit - without added EQ...  hope that makes sense.

by gregr on 2011-09-11 09:12:13

Ax3M4n wrote:

Thanks for response.  I'll give it a try again with the "50% = zero EQ effect".

50% for the bass and treble controls only = zero added EQ effect to the original TS808 being modeled.  This is a far cry from saying the Screamer will have no EQ effect overall.

I play an open chord and let it ring while switching the Screamer On and Off listening to the change - what I want to hear is added grit - without added EQ...  hope that makes sense. 

...then the Screamer is probably not the model you want to use.  In addition to adding overdrive, Tube Screamers color your tone; there are no two ways about it.  If The Edge is using a Tube Screamer, then it is adding color to his tone.

If you want to go for a flatter response, I suggest you increase the bass above 50% and adjust the treble and tone against one another until the tone sounds most even thoughout the treble region.  After doing this you may find that the treble will also be above 50%.  As I said earlier, the tone control boosts the upper-mids/lower-highs, but not the upper-highs.

by Ax3M4n on 2011-09-11 12:28:49

Gregr - thanks for your answer. I've never actually owned a TS,  so I was assuming quite a bit. My frustration probably arose with the "highly interactive" controls - or at least that was my experience. What I needed was a baseline. I've been messing about with it still - keeping Bass and Treble at 50 - only adjusting when the Tone is zeroed in (or as close as my ears can judge).

Anyway - I'll post up my "creation" in custom tones when I'm done. I'm hoping it will be close.

by meambobbo on 2011-09-12 06:52:41

I can't see your tone right now, but the drive and output parameters are going to be also just as important as far as obtaining the distortion tone you want.  I almost always use the TS effect as an overdrive.  I turn the drive to 0% and set the output to whereever it needs to be to force the amp to distort to the desired level.  If your distortion is too gritty, you may want to rely more on the TS for its distortion (which is pretty smooth).  Set the output to a level (60% or lower generally) where your patch stays clean, then turn up the drive until you have the desired level of distortion.  Or you could try to mix the TS distortion with the amp distortion, using a little of both.

by phil_m on 2011-09-12 06:58:39

Well, a Tubsecreamer is not a transparent effect. That's why some people have issues with them. You pretty much always always have a mid-hump. The other overdrive model, simply called "Overdrive" is actually a bit more transparent.

by Ax3M4n on 2011-09-12 10:50:56

Cheers to all.  I'm still learning never, having owned any of the real world FX on this unit. So real insight is useful.  Thanks.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.