These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Variax Footswitch with Passive Guitar
by CMinusInGym on 2011-09-11 12:03:17

Can I use the powered footswitch as an A/B box with a standard passive guitar if I use a mono TS cable?  The power light is off when switched to the 1/4" output, but lights up red when switched to XLR.  Is this safe to do for the guitar, footswitch and amp?

Re: Variax Footswitch with Passive Guitar
by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 12:14:47

i suppose  you  could  it is a switch.  why would  you  use  it  powered?

by CMinusInGym on 2011-09-11 12:36:25

The switch doesn't work without power.  Also, the power light only glows red for a few seconds, then goes off, so I assume that means that no power is being transmitted.

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 12:57:16

i think your  assuming  wrong.   the power  goes  through the  tip    to the  center  sleeve  as  ground     on a trs  cable   since  your  putting   a mono cable  in  your   creating  a  circut  that wasnt   originally there   your  attatched  to    the  ground  terminal  and  at the same time  the   terminal  that the   sound  circut  connects  to.  so  technichly  your  creating  a short  with the  mono cable  and  thats  probably  why  the  red  light  goes  off. is it gonna   damage  your  guitar.   most likely not  but ill bet  your  sending current  to  the  guitar through  the  pots  and   pickups.    heres  how to find  out .   hook up a  meter   to the  mono cable  that  plugs into the  guitar   tip  to shank. if your getting  power  there    well then you have  completed  a circut.   since  the  ab  box   is designed  to do this  . well  is it  working   correctly.  if not it  may be shorting  internally and  who  knows  what that will do over time.  since  these  switches  arent  readily avalable...  do you  want to take that chance  is the  question.  you might  fry a resistor  over  time.   i dont  see these  avalable  anywhere.

as to the   amp end  it  wasnt  designed  to sent  power to the  amp as  far as i know  . so that end  should be fine.  if you feel you need  to do this  with     this ab switch  with  another  guitar that does  not require  power   id  say  stick with the  stereo cable.  in most cases   the contact  in the  guitar  if you have  a good output  plug  is  low  on the  shank   and  the  tip. the trs   should  work fine. ive  used them this  whay  when i diidnt   have  anything  else  with  no problems.

my advice  to you  would be  to  not use this  switch  in that way. go buy  one  or build  one.  just curious  what are  you trying  to acomplish   with  that rig.

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 13:05:13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-AB100-Guitar-Amp-Selector-A-B-Footswitch-/270762843198?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f0ab91c3e

iwould  suggest   you get one  of these.   its   cheaper than  the  line  6 switch and   you can   get these  . like i said   the line 6  switch  is not  readily avalable.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-11 13:45:05

(8>*} ... I will include a question on this in the new edition of the VOQT™ I am currently working on, O Great, All-Knowing One!

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 13:48:21

voqt  wat dat?

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-11 13:51:34

Variax Owners' Qualification Test

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 14:02:04

oh oh  im in trouble.

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-11 14:13:12

(8>ɔ)... Not at all, Excellency. You are endowed with a great deal of "horse sense", being - like myself - a type of horse's a$... OOPS! Damned typos!

Ahem!... Nothing to fear from this little test, Sire. It's just the same principle as not selling guns to...

I am sure you would pass with flying colors!

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 14:17:23

why thankyou .   i thought   playing  one  without  a proper   set  of paperwork  could  get  me in a big  jam  at l6...  thats good to  know.

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 14:19:50

i see this  thread  is  still marked  unanswered.   would  the  miracle  answer  man  please  stand up

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-11 15:55:03

Hey, hey, amx05462

We have to wait for 48 hours without activity from the original poster before "The Eraser' swoops in and delivers the coup de grace...

J/W

[Do you see now why it is a good thing we were never in the same class in high school?]

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 16:08:52

i can see clearly  now.     we refer  to that person as  the  eraser   here...

by JellyWheat on 2011-09-11 16:11:56

I have corrected my erroneous post, Excellence... please forgive me!

J/W

by CMinusInGym on 2011-09-11 16:19:16

So, should I use the stereo TRS cable?

by amx05462 on 2011-09-11 16:21:35

uh no  you should get  a proper  ab  box.   the  line 6 one  was   only  meant to be  used  with    line  6   guitars. ... in my opinion.

by CMinusInGym on 2011-09-11 16:26:51

Thank you very much.  Looks like I've got a new DIY project!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.