These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Alternate Tuning for 12-String
by bmcmanus on 2011-09-19 05:18:18

An ecstatic owner of a new JTV-59, I'm trying to figure out how to switch to a 12-string DADGAD with my PodXT Live (between other standard model/tunings). 

I've tried creating the alternate tuning with Workbench, but only one of (each of) the strings changes - it appears that the alternate tuning screen affects only the sympathetic strings, and not the primary (or vice versa).  Only one of the strings in each course is modified by the alternate tuning - the other remains in STANDARD tuning.

There is an old discussion on this forum from 2007 regarding Variax 700 that indicates that alternate tuning is not available for 12-string models.  Is that still the case with the JTV? 

Is there any way I can re-assign the standard DADGAD tuning to the "MODEL" setting for one of the 12-strings, so that when I select that model with the XT, I'm in DADGAD?

Best Regards,

Bud

Re: Alternate Tuning for 12-String
by TheRealZap on 2011-09-19 05:59:46

i don't think that you can save the alt tunings in the XT patch is the problem...

you would have to create a custom model and store it on the variax, then you should be able to recal that.

i haven't tried it yet... just got my 59 last night! but i'm pretty confident that the 12 string models can be alt tuned.

you might go here: http://line6.com/support/manuals/

andselect the variax and check the workbench manual for saving a custom tuned 12 string model.

by jasonbogen on 2011-09-19 06:02:40

I am not sure how it works on the XT, but you can definitely alt tune 12 string models on the JTV.    That is one of the great new features on the JTV.

by bmcmanus on 2011-09-20 18:17:59

TheRealZap wrote:

"i don't think that you can save the alt tunings in the XT patch is the problem..."

[BUD]  I'm not trying to save the alt tunings in the XT.  My hope is that I can assign an alt tuning to the model, then when I select the model with the XT, the tuning is already as I want it.

"just got my 59 last night!"

[BUD] Congrats!  It's a great little machine, huh?  I like it just with the standard HB pups.

"you might go here: ">http://line6.com/support/manuals/"

[BUD] Yeah, that's been a little confusing.  When I look for the manuals, I can find no Workbench manual anywhere - under Workbench, or any of the variax models.  I'm certain I've seen a Workbench manual before, but they are nowhere to be found now.

-Bud

Re: RE: Alternate Tuning for 12-String
by Kneehow on 2011-09-21 11:41:14

You won't be able to save a 12-string model along with say, DADGAD tunint to a memory slot on the JTV.

What you can do is select the 12-string model first. Then change the Alt Tuning knob to DADGAD, for example. You'll be playing through a 12-string DADGAD sound so long as you don't change out of this current tone.

I don't know the precise reasons why, but that is the current behavior of this aspect of the JTV. Compared to the previous Variaxes, it's a step up, since a "12-string model" is already essentially an alternate tuning (in terms of pitch shift algorithm from the DSP's point of view). To then pitch shift the 12-string pitch shifted model requires more processor power to execute, so with the JTV's hardware it's now possible.

You can save the 12-string model into, say Custom 1-X position. But then you'll stick have to manually re-access the DADGAD tuning via the knob. It won't store the DADGAD tuning along with the 12-string model.

by TheRealZap on 2011-09-21 11:50:25

select variax to get to the manual... they buried the workbench manual in there.

Re: RE: Alternate Tuning for 12-String
by bmcmanus on 2011-09-21 15:14:05

I think that's the answer I'm looking for (though not the one I would have preferred).

To clarify, the 12string models do not support saving an alternate tuning in the MODEL position, other than whatever might be finagled with detuning - is that correct?

Thanks,

Bud

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-17 21:07:17

What you've written originally should have been resolved for you before this post of mine, but in case you are still having trouble...

You want a DADGAD tuning for a 12-string (acoustic, not electric - yes?) guitar and had I seen your post much sooner, I would have suggested the following very simple way to accomplish your requirements...

1. First thing to know is that any older Line 6 VDI equipped gear will not save or recall any JTV patches.  I believe this was originally intended to be backwards compatible, but it turned out not to be for reasons only Line 6 would know the answer to.

I'm sorry if you were not aware of this when you chose to buy your JTV-59.  I doubt you were thinking you should have asked, but if you had asked...99.9% of all retailers do not know anything significant about the more sophisticated Line 6 gear they are selling.  I do not know if Line 6 gives seminars or anything like that to instruct all the big time retailer store chains and most certainly not the smaller non-chain stores that are authorized Line 6 dealers.  I do not know if Line 6 issues any notices of bugs as well as when those bugs are resolved to any retail store personnel.  Personally, I think it would be the best thing that Line 6 could do to make certain their products are properly understood by those selling them as well as these updates, bugs and fixes.  This (in my opinion) would certainly keep Line 6 one step ahead of it's competition who choose to do nothing beyond bulk sales to retailers and distributors.

1. First - are you using JTV build 1.81?  If yes, then this simply will not work on any of the five acoustic models.  However, as of this post...Line 6 has released a JTV build 1.82 revision that does allow Workbench created Alt tuned patches to work properly.  I mention it here and every other JTV forum I've been on so the word gets out about this problem being resolved in case you or any reading here might not yet be aware.
  2. If using JTV 1.71, or the latest JTV 1.82 software - Launch Workbench to read your guitar patches and banks.
  3. Choose where you want this DADGAD 12-string patch to be located on your guitar.  It can literally be anywhere, not just in the banks labeled Custom.  For example, I ever have need for the Jazz guitars, so I use that bank as five slots for alt tuned acoustic guitars I've created in Workbench.
  4. Since you will never be able to reply on your POD XT Live to handle the patches on your JTV, you can use the older 1.71 if you prefer the tone of those acoustic guitars or now use the latest 1.82 update if you want the newer "HD" (term used by Line 6 in their promotional material regarding this bank of acoustic guitars) models.
  5. Within Workbench with your JTV-59 connected by either USB to Variax connection or through VDI on your POD XT Live USB connection with your pedalboard connected to your computer.  Choose the body of one of the two 12-string acoustic models offered.  Personal suggestion - if using it with a band, choose Acoustic model bank slot # 2, if a solo, perhaps you might prefer the richer & fuller tone of the Jumbo at slot # 4.
  6. Use the tuning dots or open the tuning preset dialog box and simply move those dots to (low to high) D-A-D-G-A-D or choose DADGAD from the dialog box.  If you have the "Enable" button selected, you should immediately hear the tuning change you've just performed.
  7. Once pleased with the tone of the body, the tuning of DADGAD, then fine tune your tone by adjusting the tone knob on the guitar directly on using the Workbench controls from that tab for volume and tone controls.  These changes should also be heard immediately with ENABLE set to the on position.
  8. Save the guitar patch from Workbench to the slot you've chosen, then as a back-up, be certain to either save the patch by itself or the entire guitar set of banks before exiting.

That's the long way but it is the only way to save that tuning on your guitar.

A simpler way, but not be able to save it would be to turn the MODEL knob to Acoustic, then pick slot 2 or 4, then use the Alt tuning knob on the guitar to choose DADGAD.  The JTV-59 & 69 have this as an option on the tuning knob that is not available on the model 89.

This should work, but if for any reason you do not get the results I've described in either way I've discussed, please PM me and I'll send you my patch created in Workbench for DADGAD using a 12-string acoustic guitar model.

Best of luck and take care,

Neal

bmcmanus wrote:

An ecstatic owner of a new JTV-59, I'm trying to figure out how to switch to a 12-string DADGAD with my PodXT Live (between other standard model/tunings). 

I've tried creating the alternate tuning with Workbench, but only one of (each of) the strings changes - it appears that the alternate tuning screen affects only the sympathetic strings, and not the primary (or vice versa).  Only one of the strings in each course is modified by the alternate tuning - the other remains in STANDARD tuning.

There is an old discussion on this forum from 2007 regarding Variax 700 that indicates that alternate tuning is not available for 12-string models.  Is that still the case with the JTV? 

Is there any way I can re-assign the standard DADGAD tuning to the "MODEL" setting for one of the 12-strings, so that when I select that model with the XT, I'm in DADGAD?

Best Regards,

Bud

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.