These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Bass Pod XT Live input levels
by maes2ro on 2011-09-19 13:35:59

I have a Bass Pod XT Live pedal unit which is working very well for me with both my Stingray and Ibanez 5-string active basses. I would now like to use my Variax Bass for live performance in addition to the other instruments, however I have a problem; For any given patch, the Variax (connected using a Variax cable) is much quieter than the other instruments, rather like the input level is turned down. I don't want to have to change my main amp settings between guitars, so I am hoping that there a setting somewhere in the XT that lets me wind up the input level.

I have been through the Variax Patches and the output volume is alrady turned up all the way. Can anyone advise me where to look for this feature?

RE: Bass Pod XT Live input levels
by Line6Don on 2011-09-21 11:53:42

Hey maes2ro,

Both of your other basses have rather hot/loud output volume when you compare it to the pickups of the Variax Bass.

I would suggest to make copies of your presets that work well with your other basses, and adjust the channel volume or EQ to compensate for the lower output volume of the variax bass.

Re: RE: Bass Pod XT Live input levels
by maes2ro on 2011-09-24 00:17:40

Thanks very much, that makes good sense.

After a bit more playing around I have noticed that on the VAX preset channels (which are the ones I want to use anyway), the DLY/VRB selections are really loud compared to the other selections, so there may be something worth exploring there.

I have just updated the flash on the Floor Pod, and will continue with my experiments.

by maes2ro on 2011-10-04 09:20:11

I have just done an interesting experiment: I set the XT to a non-VAX setting (Classic Jazz), and set the Variax Bass to full volume (winding down the power amp to avoid ear damage of course!). I then played the Bass with it connected via the Digital cable, paying careful attention to the volume. I then disconnected the Digital cable and reconnected with the 1/4" jack, and found that the sound was quite notably louder from the Jack. I swapped back a few times to be sure, but there is a real difference, although without a VU meter I can't say how much exactly.

Is it possible that my digital cable cable is faulty? I know that using network cable is a bad thing so I don't want to try that, but I am a bit reluctant to buy a new cable just to see what happens.

As I bought the guitar used, is it possible that someone in the past has connected with a CAT 5 lead and done some damage?, if so, would reduced volume be a symptom?

The guitar works and plays really well in all other respects.

by maes2ro on 2011-10-04 09:21:20

Hi there, I think I just accidentally replied to myself. Here is what I intended to send to you...

I have just done an interesting experiment: I set the XT to a non-VAX setting (Classic Jazz), and set the Variax Bass to full volume (winding down the power amp to avoid ear damage of course!). I then played the Bass with it connected via the Digital cable, paying careful attention to the volume. I then disconnected the Digital cable and reconnected with the 1/4" jack, and found that the sound was quite notably louder from the Jack. I swapped back a few times to be sure, but there is a real difference, although without a VU meter I can't say how much exactly.

Is it possible that my digital cable cable is faulty? I know that using network cable is a bad thing so I don't want to try that, but I am a bit reluctant to buy a new cable just to see what happens.

As I bought the guitar used, is it possible that someone in the past has connected with a CAT 5 lead and done some damage?, if so, would reduced volume be a symptom?

The guitar works and plays really well in all other respects.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.