These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider 3 150 hd malfunctioning?
by creeping-death on 2011-09-19 21:13:11

Hello there,my Spider 3 150 hd seems to be broken or malfunctioning,I will list the problems below :

- LCD flickering,fading and sometimes vanishing...mostly on the tuner it does it most.

- Dips in the sound of the amp

- Sometimes the amp will have no sound at all

- Sometimes there will be a very low clean sound (I saw someone else with this problem in the forums before)

It is definatly the head that is malfunctioning. I read that it could be a malfunction caused by the FBV pedal?

I have done several factory resets,but no luck. It is definatly the head,and it is definatly in some sort of trouble.

Thanks.

I await your reply.

Ian.

Re: Spider 3 150 hd malfunctioning?
by fflbrgst on 2011-09-20 05:32:01

I'm not that familiar with the Spider 3 can you do a firmware update (via FBV/USB/Monkey)?

Is it still under warranty?

You will probalby need to contact your local service center..

http://line6.com/service_centers/

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-20 10:27:37

fflbrgst wrote:

I'm not that familiar with the SPider 3 can you do a firmware update (via FBV/USB/Monkey)?

Is it still under warranty?

You will rpobalby need to contact your local service center..

Good thought, but unfortunately you can't update the Spider III.  You can do a factory reset by holding down the Channel A button at the same time as you power on (same as the Spider IV) but that's it

@creeping-death

If you suspect your FBV pedal or Ethernet cable try running the map for a while without connecting either and if the problem goes away then the problem is either the cable (easy to swap out to check later), the FBV or the FBV socket in the amp.  If you can isolate it to one or other of your devices with a bit of elimination, you may be able to resolve it - and if it is the Ethernet cable that's at fault that's an easy fix .

Nick

by creeping-death on 2011-09-20 18:39:58

I tried factory reset numerous times. I have been trying it without the fbv plugged in and without the cable. Would it maybe be the actual port hole for the cable that could be faulty or something?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-21 01:29:21

Hi

Yes there is a slight possibilty some of the connections in the RJ-45 socket (FBV socket) in the amp have become bent and could be shorting but in normal usage I think this is unlikely.  You can check by using a flashlight to look inside the socket.  There should be eight gold coloured springy metal 'finger' running straight and parallel from front to back and none should be touching any of the other 'fingers'

I am guessing big time, but I think the issue could maybe be due to a dry solder joint or connector cable plug needing to be reseated inside the amp and related possibly to the power supply section - that's a job for an amp tech to check out and I don't recomment you go poking around inside the amp as you could make the problem a lot worse if you don't know what you're doing.

You should book the amp in to your nearest Line 6 Authorised Service Centre by finding one here: http://line6.com/service_centers/   Use the Old Service Centre Finder link if you can't find a service centre using the new database.  An official ASC is the best place to take the amp as there are a lot of proprietary parts that a normal amp technician or non authorised service centre won't be able to get if the need arises.

Nick

by creeping-death on 2011-09-21 23:51:54

Okay it is possible that it is the  rj 45 socket,although I can't seem to see bent connectors on the outside...maybe internally damaged on those? Could be the other thing you said though.

Off topic: Would a spider 4 head work with the 412 spider cab I have for the spider 3? Or is there a special spider 4 cab? (Just something someone asked me yesterday)

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-22 00:18:38

Hi

Looks like you'll need to book your Spider III in for a diagnostic at least at an Authorsised Line 6 Service Centre

The output section on the Spider III head is pretty similar to, if not identical to the Spider IV head and the speaker impedance load requirements are the same at 8 ohms per side, so the Spider III cab you have should work just fine with a Spider IV 150 head.

Nick

RE: Spider 3 150 hd malfunctioning?
by Line6Don on 2011-09-22 09:54:10

Hey creeping-death,

If you are experiencing these sort of issues, I would suggest that you have a local Line 6 Service Center assess the amp for repair. You may follow the link below to locate a Line 6 Service Center in your area:

by creeping-death on 2011-09-22 21:39:49

I see. So that means,England is closest (me being in Ireland) do I contact them first and tell them I am sending it and what it wrong with it or?

And yes,I thought that would be the case with it.

Thanks.

RE: Spider 3 150 hd malfunctioning?
by Line6david on 2011-09-26 16:31:26

Hi,

I would suggest contacting our UK office by phone:

Clifton House

Butlers Leap

Rugby, Warwickshire

CV21 3RQ

+44 1788 566 566 (phone)

0044 1327 302 704 (fax)

Thanks,

David

by creeping-death on 2011-09-28 08:57:03

Alright,thanks for all the help.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.