These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Looping with my SV 212 Mk1 - How, and what do I need to Loop please?
by TNT47 on 2011-09-20 19:12:05

Hi, I have a Mk 1 SV 212 and I  want to do looping.  What do I need to achieve this please?

I just ordered a FBV Mk II footswitch after reading stuff, but then noticed it mentioned the Mk IV which has a loop switch, and Mk II SV 212...but I need to know if the Mk 1 can loop, and how/what to buy to do this.   I think the FBV Mk II wont achieve this with my Mk 1 212 amp?    Desperate for answeres folks.

cheers

Tony

Re: Looping with my SV 212 Mk1 - How, and what do I need to Loop please?
by Samzee on 2011-09-20 19:20:48

The FBV pedals only control and enable the functionality of the amp, they don't add functionality. And, there is no Spider Valve Mk IV. You're talking about the Spider IV. Only the Spider IV and Spider Valve Mk II have "Quickloop," as it is called. Unfortunately, Quickloop is too quick for many people, as it only offers 14 seconds of recording time. So, I'd suggest getting an external looping pedal.

by TNT47 on 2011-09-22 06:31:17

Samzee....cheers, that sorted that.  I bought the FBV Shortboard Mk II today.  I now need as you kindly suggested a 'Looping pedal' or similar kit.   I have been recording my stuff to a Tascam recorder, then transfering to my PC into Audacity, and building up from there.    I guess the sampled loop/loops will be recorded into the MIDI  Sequencer 'Live'   using such software as Record from Propellerhead etc.....can you suggest software..  Propellorhead is quite expensive ?  I am quite familiar with Audacity and its menus offer MIDI Inputs etc.   Any ideas on Looping kit?   I saw a Youtbe vid of my setup using Record/Reason software, and the guy was Looping stuff live and building a track so easily....this is what I fancy.    Apologies for maybe asking staightforward shit, but a stroke robbed me of most of what I used to know and play, so this is a bit new again, but music is life.......and life is great

cheers         Tony

by Samzee on 2011-09-22 12:42:00

Hm, I'm curious to see this video you speak of. Not sure I quite know what you're talking about exactly, and MIDI isn't my forte. As for recording software, I must say that I only use Audacity for much lighter needs. You know -- quickly throwing down ideas so not to forget them, rough takes, et cetera. Being that it's a small program and requires few system resources, it's convenient for such things that don't require a huge array of functionality. I know some people use it more extensively but I think of it as like, a hand-held voice recorder -- to take note of things, so to speak. Personally I don't have experience with a lot of recording programs. I use Acid Pro 7 which suits my needs very well. But right you are, good sir. Music is life, and a great life it is. =]

by mtnman82 on 2011-09-27 18:05:09

Samzee - I'm assuming you've heard of KT Tunstall?  If not, look her up as she's awesome with the looper.  I believe the one she uses is the Akai Headrush.  I'm trying to think of the pedal I saw in a competition at the NAMM show last year...  I think it was a Boss looper of some sort.  Either of these will give you the ease & flexibility you're looking for.  Cheers!

by Samzee on 2011-09-28 13:22:40

Ah, yes. I think I stumbled on a video of her once a million years ago. Just watched a video on youtube and am quite impressed. Thanks for the reference.

by TNT47 on 2011-10-07 02:02:53

Hello again ...went and bought the JM 4 Looper....now I am in heaven...fantastic kit, hooked into my Spider Valve 212 with controls set as suggested in the advanced manual..works a dream.  Via headphones as well it is amazing.  It is so easy to jam with then save to an sd card/pc setup.  Sent the shortboard back, found it too cumbersome...dont really need it.    So, thank you all for your responses, its really appreciated.   And Line 6 I love ya....I lived in North America for almost 20 years back in the 'heydays' of the 70's when 'Gas' was only 39 cents a gallon or so!  Those were the days.     Cheers everyone.

Tony              Canadian Loon

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.