These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Did I get a US-made JTV by mistake?
by FormerLPUser on 2011-09-20 19:35:04

Hello Line 6, first time user here. I recently bought a JTV-89 off eBay. I had already owned one but this one looked different, and the differences multiplied when it got here. It has all black hardware, and I had heard that even though the pictures of the Korean 89s all show black hardware, everyone is receiving them with chrome hardware instead. The seller said it was new but also said there was no serial number. As soon as I got this I took it apart and my first question arose: what kind of JTV comes with Seymour Duncan American-made pickups? This one has 2 of them and they look original.

The tuners look different than everyone else's too - they are Hipshot Classics with the open gears. There are no markings on the neck itself and no serial number anywhere that I can find.

Oh, it also came with two batteries. I thought only the US JTVs came with two batteries - another clue. Also there was no gigbag, wrenches or anything besides the guitar, batteries, charger and power plug converters. He said that's all he got with it. I suspect he also got a hard case and kept or sold it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Did I get a US-made JTV by mistake?
by laelamiles on 2011-09-20 21:12:29

Well done!  Looks like you've got yourself a US beta guitar.

With SD's to boot, and true *black* hardware.

You've done well.  I hope the person who sold it to you doesn't get in trouble.   This is clearly traceable.

by FormerLPUser on 2011-09-20 21:31:55

Hmmm . . . didn't think of that. Do they require the beta testers to keep the guitars forever?  They can't ever sell them?

by laelamiles on 2011-09-20 22:02:30

I have no idea if they are allowed to sell them, honestly.  I guess they are allowed to keep them as "thanks", but not sure if there are any conditions attached regarding selling them.

Neal (MerlinFL) or any of the other beta testers here would know for sure.

by TheRealZap on 2011-09-21 05:58:02

definently american... in fact they stopped using the SD pickups in the current american models... they are all JTV "spec'd" now...

looks like you scored BIG....

as far as i know there are no rules on selling beta gear....

but a million ethical concerns...

for instance, no warranty likely... did the internal specs change? may not be the same as the final product.... (the SD pickups are an example... although in this case a nice bonus) if the internal specs are different... a firmware update could hose the whole thing....

personally i hang on to my beta gear because there are always new updates and feedback to be provided....

being able to try updates helps me to support the users here a bit better (which i do because i like to... not paid)

it also allows me a small bit of input with line6 to hopefully make things better for everyone.

having said all that... each beta program is it's own thing... experts are not always beta testers... in fact i don't know of any experts that were on the JTV beta's although most of us would love to...

many of us actually bought jtv's because we like them

blah blah blah... anyway... sounds like an awesome get for you! welcome to the forums!

by Rowbi on 2011-09-22 06:02:06

+1 to what Zap-Tastic said..

so long as you got a good deal (on the price) I would say it's worth it... the down sides are lack of warranty of any kind (so repairs would have to be paid for), and a small risk of firmware issues... but in reality by the time hardware has gone through initial design, then alpha testing, the beta hardware is usually the same as production hardware, so I wouldn't worry.

which pickup is in the photo by the way?  is that the bridge?  it looks like a SD SH-4 to me from the numbers on it, which is the code for a standard spaced SD JB... (i.e. normal spacing not fender/floyd F spaced)...  did you happen to take out the other pickup and note what model it was?  as I'd like to know which pups were gonna go in there, as obviously they were tested in beta and only changed because the korean made ones aparently sounded good as they were... but those wantint to swap to SDs may like to know which ones you had, as obviously they work...

Well done and thanks for any more info you can give.

Rowbi

by FormerLPUser on 2011-09-22 06:27:18

Yes, the bridge pickup is the SH-4, and the one in the neck position is an SH-1N. They sound great. I've had one of each of the Korean models before (59, 69 and 89) and these SD's definitely sound better than the pickups in those did. 

I got it for $790 plus shipping, just a little lower than what Sweetwater is charging:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JTV89USBK/

__jive_emoticon_name="wink" __jive_macro_name="emoticon" class="jive_macro jive_emote" src="http://line6.com/support/images/emoticons/wink_r17275.gif">  I was the one and only bidder on this on eBay. Everyone had a shot at it but no one else recognized that it was "different" even though the clues were there in the ad.

by TheRealZap on 2011-09-22 06:44:49

you could probably triple or quadruple your money by putting it back on ebay correctly identified as a USA model...

or just enjoy the crap out of it! i would....

by FormerLPUser on 2011-09-22 15:25:17

Quadrupling my money would be a good thing but no one is buying on eBay anymore. Every time I sell a guitar there I lose money. But thanks for your help on this!

by bigolsparky on 2011-09-28 13:46:44

I'll give you 200 bucks for it.

by FormerLPUser on 2011-10-17 10:14:26

Sold it for $3750, thanks anyway.

by TheRealZap on 2011-10-17 10:28:16

awesome! thought you were going to keep it though?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.