These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Reasonable (perhaps rack mount) power amp for the HD500
by sean106ESP on 2011-09-21 12:33:07

Hey guys, using my Mark V as of now as my power amp for live stuff with my HD500. Sorry if been asked before.

But any recomendations on a decently priced Power amp that works well with the HD500? Right now I am using the HD500 into the FX return of the Mark V and using a Diezel 4x12 with V30's.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Reasonable (perhaps rack mount) power amp for the HD500
by kdog on 2011-09-21 12:45:22

Depends on your config (i.e. do you care about weght, are you going full range or are you doing a guitar cab) and what "reasonable" means in terms of pricing for you...

If I was going to a guitar cab, I'd consider a tube power amp like a Peavey 50/50, Carvin TS100, or Mesa as possible reaonable choices.

If you are thinking SS, I'd look at the Rocktron Velocity 300 or a used Mosvalve. Those are both cheap and highly regarded.

If you're going full range, you might consider more a PA style power amp. A nice, light, high wattage stereo SS power amp like a Carvin DCM series or ART SLA2 would be a good value for that type of config.

by porcytree on 2011-09-21 12:51:30

I have heard very good things about the Rocktron Velocity 300 (as mentioned by kdog)....one of the guys from the GT10 forum uses one and reckons it has really improved the dynamic response of his GT10 and made it sound more "tubey" even though the Rocktron is SS.

by sean106ESP on 2011-09-21 16:37:07

Hey thanks guys. I guess when i mean reasonable like under $500-$600 and the size of a 1-2 rack space power amp. I kinda feel like using my Mark V for othe things but still have another rig using the HD500 models pushing through 4X12's. Thanks.

by cGil on 2011-09-21 17:30:50

Here's what I use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Classic-50-50-Guitar-Power-Amp-Ultra-Rare-/180727573892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1433ed84#ht_500wt_1332

Not this one, but mine's just like it.  Didn't even know mine was of the "ultra rare" variety till now.  Anyway, they're very dependable and super easy on your tubes.  I bought mine in the 90's and it's still running strong with the same set of tubes.   It's gonna be kinda hard to beat that price, too.

Gil...

by gregr on 2011-09-21 18:04:06

For the music Sean plays I don't think EL84s are the best match.

I'd probably just continue using the Mark V, though the Mesa Fifty/Fifty or 2:Fifty would probably be my first choice for a tube amp. They're loaded with 6L6s.

I'm really curious about how the Rocktron Velocity 300 sounds in comparison to something that uses 6L6s or KT88s.  While they say it sounds like a tube amp, I imagine it is probably cleaner at higher volumes.  For those wanting something that will break up or at least begin to break up at less than ear-blistering levels (such as EL84 and EL34, respectively), I doubt the Rocktron will deliver.

Of course, the HD500 includes power amp modeling when a full amp is chosen, so maybe just a no-frills solid state amp will do the trick.

Me, well I'm GASsing for a Mesa Road King.  With EL34s and 6L6s you cover a lot of territory.

by cGil on 2011-09-21 21:03:17

The Classic 50/50 isn't anything like the Peavey Classic combo's.  It's a keyboard rack stereo tube amp.  Very uncolored, so the models sound most natural in Studio/Direct mode.  Great as a hifi stereo amp in the house cuz it's full bandwidth @ 20 - 20khz.   Exceptional for modelers.  

Gil...

by sean106ESP on 2011-09-21 22:02:12

Greg what about a Mesa 20/20 Dynawatt? I had one once and it sunded loud enough. I would get a 2:90 but that would defeat the purpose as then I would GAS for another Triaxis etc. (I used to have a whole TA/2;90, FX unit, condistioner, GCX etc. setup)

I had a Road King once but I think it was the 1st generation and the cleans were not good. Frankly I think it is overkill for me with all the tube settings. Everyone raves about the Roadster tho. So maybe try that out.

Or a Mark V They thing is awsome and can go from 90 down to 10 watts for Bedroom volume.

I miss them dearly but I had a VH4 and VH4S. Those were totally plug and play. Non tweakers. Plus 6 loops. 1 serial,1 parallel and 1 loop for each channel. just the cleans on the Mrk V are the best I ever heard and also the VH4's were UBER heavy. Hope L6 makes a VH4 model.

by gregr on 2011-09-21 23:30:01

cGil wrote:

It's a keyboard rack stereo tube amp.

Cool, I saw EL84s and had assumed it was the typical characteristic.  Thanks for the correction.

by gregr on 2011-09-22 00:14:43

sean106ESP wrote:

Greg what about a Mesa 20/20 Dynawatt? I had one once and it sunded loud enough. I would get a 2:90 but that would defeat the purpose as then I would GAS for another Triaxis etc. (I used to have a whole TA/2;90, FX unit, condistioner, GCX etc. setup)

I'm glad Gil corrected me, but I my comment about EL84s stands regarding the 20/20. Modern metal tones typically require a clean power section.  It's a good amp for small clubs with a drummer who understands something about dynamics.  Once pushed, the amp will break up and the tighness will go away.  However, if you're doing stoner or sludge metal, then this will be a great amp.

I have a 2:90 and a 295.  I haven't tried the HD500 through the 295, though our other guitar player was borrowing it to use with his DigiTech RP and it sounded great.  I used to use it with an MP-1 and loved it.  It has 6L6s and EL34s (the fatter variety); a beautiful amp!  The 2:90 is all 6L6s and is more aggressive.  I'm not crazy about it with my HD500 patches, though I they were dialed for a Marshall head and could probably be re-tweaked.  The thing sounds absolutely divine with the TriAxis and the now Quad preamp which I just got and has me consumed in a state of bliss.

I had a Road King once but I think it was the 1st generation and the cleans were not good. Frankly I think it is overkill for me with all the tube settings. Everyone raves about the Roadster tho. So maybe try that out.

I'd want the second generation for the imrpovements, but with a modeler or as a slave to my preamps or Marshall head it doesn't much matter.  The variety in tube settings is precisely the reason why I want it.  Finally a power amp that can do Fender Clean, Marshall Crunch, Mesa Chunk and Boogie Lead!  However, I wish it also had the voicing options available on the 2:90 combined with the power amp options available on the Mark IV, though I do like that it does straight Class-AB.  Apparently the amp doesn't actually do Simul-Class when running the EL34s with the 6L6s, though Mesa claims to get the same sound.

I miss them dearly but I had a VH4 and VH4S. Those were totally plug and play. Non tweakers. Plus 6 loops. 1 serial,1 parallel and 1 loop for each channel. just the cleans on the Mrk V are the best I ever heard and also the VH4's were UBER heavy. Hope L6 makes a VH4 model.

Those are some really nice amps, indeed!

by cGil on 2011-09-22 09:18:52

Greg's right on the money about the Mesa 20/20.  I had one of those, too; and it was very colored in terms of the el84 signature.   The Mesa didn't translate digital models well at all, but it was pretty great for an analog guitar rig.   Still, I wound up trading away my Mesa Formula Pre, Mesa 20/20, and Lex G2.   

Kept the Peavey 50/50 cuz even thought it didn't have any of the typical tube tone signature we tend to expect from a tube amp, it was still far more musical in nature than my Mesa 20/20.  And because it worked so well with modelers and keyboards and everything else, I just couldn't see the sense in parting with it anyway.  The Peavey 50/50's were simply great utility power amps.   Too bad they don't make 'em anymore, but they will still service them if for some strange reason it's ever needed. 

Gil...

by gregr on 2011-09-22 09:39:01

The problem with choosing a transparent tube power amp over a solid state amp is that the solid state amp (if well deigned and well built) will not require the same amount of servicing (if any servicing) over its lifetime.  A tube power amp will periodically require new tubes and biasing at the very least.

by cGil on 2011-09-22 09:52:25

That's true. I have been inside my Peavey a few times since buying it.  Mostly for cleaning out the dust the cooling fan sucks into it, but also cuz I can't resist snooping around inside tube amps anyway.   As I said, mine is still using the same 'used' set of tubes that were in it when I bought it off the trade-in bench at the local mom & pop guitar shop in the late 90's.  That's unusual for a modern tube amp to not eat through tubes like they were potato chips; but hey, I'm not complaining.  After all, two quads (yep, 8 of 'em!) of matched el84's aren't cheep! 

Gil...

by jcosta_sr on 2011-09-22 11:35:17

Currently I use an Atomic 1x12 50w - it uses a tube power amp with 6L6 tubes.  I love it and I am looking to purchase another for stereo..........

I just went on their web site http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm and I see they are now selling a stereo 50/50 w 6L6 rackmount power amp.   Now I'm really GASing...........

I found an old 4x12 cabinet for $100 with blown out spreakers and I am going to replace the drivers with full range 12 in speakers and wiring them in stereo.  Then I think I will have a kick a$$ rig. 

by relayerjb on 2011-09-22 12:25:19

I've been running a Mesa 50:50 for years and love it.  I did replace the tubes a few years ago.  I've been considering getting an SS amp just to save on weight and perhaps rack space, so the Rocktron looks like it's worth checking out.  I'm also interested in that Atomic amp but it's pretty expensive and weighs about the same as my Mesa.

Funny, Rocktron also has an amp modeler/effects processor with the following in the description:

"When was the last time you plugged into Pop’s old guitar amplifier? Most likely, never. So why buy a processor that promises you the sounds of old amps and cabinets?"

Um, because we like them?  ;-)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.