These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: ToneCore Development Kit

new ToneCore Developers Kit pedal not working
by ChubbyJerk on 2011-09-23 06:15:39

Hello. I received my TCDDK yesterday, and my pedal does not seem to be working. It only gets power when you hold down the pedal. I'm using a DG1 power supply. I have a cable plugged into the mono input.

The LED does not toggle on or off when you press the pedal.

It does not show up as a USB device when you plug it in.

When you hold down the pedal, the LED will blink on and off, and it will then show up as a USB device.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe there's a loose connection somewhere in there that gets connected when I'm pressing down?

Re: new ToneCore Developers Kit pedal not working
by audioartillery on 2011-09-24 09:53:02

Certainly doesn't sound right.  May be worth trying a 9v just to rule out power supply connector problems etc.

USB enumeration shouldn't be tied to the pedal state at all.  Must be some kind of mechanical flexing or loose conneection as you hypothesized.  May be simplest just to get it replaced.

by ChubbyJerk on 2011-09-26 06:20:33

Thanks. I guess I'll have to talk to customer support.

by MusicalCircuitry on 2011-10-02 11:52:20

When you hold down the pedal and the LED blinks on and off, what color is the LED? I wonder if you've managed to get your module stuck in MCU Bootloader mode? When you are pressing the pedal down and manage to connect with USB, does a window pop up? Does the title say "Download DSP code", or does it say "Freescale JM16 Bootloader"? If you've managed to get it stuck in MCU bootloader mode, you may be able to just flash a new MCU and be running again.

by ChubbyJerk on 2011-10-11 08:29:21

Well. Got an RMA number. Sent it back. Just got my replacement unit.

Different behavior, but it still seems to be screwed up. I need to play around with it to be sure, because I haven't had a chance to hook up a guitar yet.

Plugged a jack into the mono in and another into the mono out.

With AC adapter - cannot get the LED to go on at all.

With 9-volt battery - I can get the LED to flash orange. I can't get it to go solid green, like the documentation says it should with the pre-loaded effect.

I haven't tried plugging it in via USB yet.

Maybe I need to reflash the default effect, but at best, the adapter jack seems broken. The AC adapter behaved the same as a battery with my last unit, so I doubt that's the problem. The LED is green on the AC adapter, so it seems to be OK.

I have a baby coming (2nd kid) Thursday at the latest, so I don't have much time to mess around with this right now. If this is genuinely broken, I hope I don't miss the return window.

This was supposed to be a fun hobby. These problems have sucked any fun out. Very disappointing.

by ChubbyJerk on 2011-10-11 09:50:36

OK. Looks like I might have it working.

Fresh battery, and the orange flashing LED goes green.

The AC adapter is sort of working now. It seems like the connection is just a little loose.

YAY. Sorry for the false alarm.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.