These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-59 Acoustic overtones?
by steele9999 on 2011-09-23 09:42:46

Could someone please help me out and listen to this file. 

I don't know if it's my ears or my guitar that is causing this problem, but I seem to be hearing very anoying overtones in the acoustic guitar mods.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the 12 string mods as much as the 6 string.  I don't hear it at all with the electric mods.

I just strummed a few chords (C, G & D)  that's where I hear it the most.  I've called it an overtone for lack of a better way of describing what I'm hearing. Sometimes it almost sounds like an organ key is being played in the background. 

This was recorded straight from the 1/4' jack into a multitrack recorder.  It's a "dry" signal.

Does you variax sound like this?

Thanks

Re: JTV-59 Acoustic overtones?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-23 10:21:10

Hi

I'm having some difficulty in determining exactly what it is you're hearing in this clip.  I can hear a slight bit of 'boominess' here and there but it's not overpoweringly maddening or anything.  You can probably dial it out using the tone control which in the case of the acoustic models acts like swinging the boom on a mic stand so you can move the virtual mic nearer or further away from the virtual sound hole.

What are you monitoring though?   I'm currently listening on a pair of Sennheser HD280 Pro headphones.

Remember too that you are essentially playing an electric guitar with electric guitar strings rather than acoustic strings which in turn are lighter gauge than light gauge acoustic strings.

To me it doesn't sound bad.  However, maybe someone else with different ears will hear what you are talking about more clearly than I can.

Sorry

Nick

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-23 11:10:08

It sounds like normal Variax acoustic models to me.

I think I know what you are getting at regarding the drone sound - is it the sound that seems to hang on after you have played the last chord until you mute the strings?  If it is, then I can also hear that in the 12 string samples. I think it's just the chord sequence you have chosen and that's just the ringing strings - a JTV59 sustains way more than a standard acoustic will - so that may explain why there is more of an overall drone than with a real acoustic.

Overall it sounds as I would expect.   Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

Cheers

Eddie

by mickscrill on 2012-05-04 03:26:03

Hey there!

I can hear what your getting at its a horrible over resonant peak around the 390hz when you play any chord involng a G note. There is also the same problem involing anying with around 440hz i.e an A chord or note.  especially a D chord or note which has an A note as it's 5th.

But the good news is the firmware update 1.8 has gotten rid of it.. hurray...the bad news is it's now moved to around 370hz a Gb down to an E, and its even louder.. horrible nearly blew out my pa speaker

I'm starting a ticket as we speak

Cheers

by edstar1960 on 2012-05-04 04:24:45

I have recently just programmed in some acoustic patches for my HD500 and oddly enough I started to really notice these overtones involving the G note much more so than before.  I know I posted many months ago stating that the attached sample sounded normal to me and in fact it still does and still sounds like my acoustic tones on my JTV59 - but having said that the resonant peaks mentioned by steele9999 and also mickscrill just now are definitely there and seem to be more pronounced and annoying then before.  My JTV59 is still on firmware 1.71.  The drone/organ sound/resonant overtone is more pronounced with my latest HD500 patches which were an attempt at getting a more authentic acoustic sound for live band use.  Now that my ear has keyed into it, its more difficult for me to ignore.

Shame to hear that the problem has simply moved with v.18 but hopefully mickscrill ticket will get it addressed.  It's another reason for me to put off moving to 1.8.   Shame as I really want to exploit the HD500 v2.02 functionality which goes hand in hand with JTV 1.8.  Guess I will just have to wait some more. 

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-05 02:34:22

I totally missed this thread until now but I agree regarding the low Gb in 1.8 and it's octave ( not quite as bad but there). I did however post in another thread that I had been trying to dial it out using a few paraEQs at 95hz and 190hz.  As well as I can anyway with the current EQs offered and their percentage based parameters.   It's just trying to get the Q right and trying to lower it these overtones enough without making the sound thin.  I am very glad to have seen this thread because I have been working on this in my basement through my live system and was wondering in it might have been the room or placement of the PA.   But it others are hearing it at Gb then it's definitely not a room anomaly.

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-06 21:37:47

I spent a fair bit of time today tweaking my acoustic patches on the HD500 for my JTV69.  I kept what I had regarding the effects and the solo boost but turned of the noise gate (it was killing the sustain) and instead of using any compressors or EQs I just used two instance of the new mic pre amp.  I'm still using the tone knob on "0" for all the models except the 6 string D28 model sounds a little better when it's rolled up to about 30% or so.

I set up both of the pre amps to work on FS1 with one on and the other off so FS1 toggles back and forth.  I sometimes play in concert pitch and sometimes half a step down.  I was finding that I needed slightly different settings on the pre amp for concert ptich and 1/2 step down tuning that's why I set up the two to toggle back and forth, now they can match the tuning.  The setup for concert pitch also sounds smoother for any capo'd up tunings I use.

It really came down to playing with the HP and LP filters to get a nice smooth sound out of the acoustics.  Once I got it dialled in for concert pitch it was just a matter of raising both HP and LP a little bit for the 1/2 step down.  Oh and setting the gain at 50% and the output at 90% gives enough output so that is keeps up with other patch levels.

by TexasStrat on 2012-05-14 07:23:58

L&S,

would you be willing to share your pre-sets?  I have tried a lot of different settings and I can't seem to get the tone I'm looking for.

Thanks...

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-14 16:33:48

Sure, I will endeavour to post them up this week.  Are you playing through FRFR (PA or similar powered speaker) system or through an amp.  It will make a huge difference.  If you're playing the acoustic models through full range, my patches should work for you're playing through an amp I doubt it will translate very well.

by mickscrill on 2012-05-24 05:26:04

Hi

started  ticket but line 6 seem to be in denial the moment

there is a new update 1.82 which offer a function on the tone control to take out nearly all the room. it has tamed it slightly but is still very obvious

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-24 10:30:21

Oops, I forgot about this thread.  I'll post up some presets when i get home tonight.

by hobbes40 on 2012-06-01 07:23:43

i too have had issues with this and posted some sound samples earlier this year. long story but the short version was line 6 took back my JTV69 and adjusted the neck/action, and "tightened up some components in the bridge" and intonated it and said it was fixed. it was better, but not fixed and they would not comment on what parts in the bridge were tightened. the overtones/organ sounds are still there on the 12 string models. sad as i love those otherwise!

FYI: it is very important to be in tune and properly intonated to minimize the overtones on the 12 string models.

i'm running v1.81 now and will try 1.82 to see if that helps. good luck to us all!

by mickscrill on 2012-06-02 03:40:16

Hi

I bought the 59 US £££ and had to send it back a week or so later for repair to the bridge (the saddles were sliding about in there slots and making a clicking noise when string bending, and apparently there are adjuster underneath to stop it) thats proberbly whats been done to yours.

Ive sent sound files of to line 6 and they say they can't here the fault yet advised me to get an EQ to get rid of the fault they cant here??

I nearly took a speaker out on my PA with this Gb note. Its mainly on the acoustics.

I have dropped the D string volume a bit in workbench and its sort of works, but now the solids seem lacking if you know what i mean.

I really want to work with this thing but its so frustrating and distracting. It doesn't happen on the mags

DENY DENY DENY!!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.