These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Bass Sound for Jamiroqai - Deeper Underground - how do I get that?
by gonecoastal on 2011-09-23 23:43:57

Have just been listening to Deeper Undergound (Jamiroqai, Sykronized). There seems to be some debate about whether Stuart Zendar played on that track or whther it was Nick Fyffe.. anyhow I have been tooling around with my Floor Pod XT to trying and copy that sound..  so far have not been having much success. Does anyone have any ideas or expertise in the synth settings for the Bass Pod that would point me in the right direction..

Cheers.

Re: RE: Bass Sound for Jamiroqai - Deeper Underground - how do I get that?
by Kneehow on 2011-09-26 10:21:17

I've heard that song a few times before... I think the first time listening carefully to it years ago, I was under the impression that it was a real analog synth and not an electric bass through effects.

I did a search online and found this discussion: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/jamiroquai-deeper-underground-sound-550021/

The Stomp "Octave Fuzz" would be a good effect to crunch up and thicken your bass tone with, but that won't allow for you to add in a "synth" tone to the mix, since they're both in the same category of effects.

If you're really determined to copy/replicate that sound, you'll probably have to split your bass signal before the Bass PODxt Live, and route one thru the Octave Fuzz and the other signal through a different effect unit (possibly one of the ones mentioned in that thread above).

Then, you can mix the two signals (one distorted bass fuzz and the other a bass synth tone), I'm sure what you'll end up with is a thick and mean sound.

It still won't be the same as playing a real analog Moog bass synth patch, though. The way the oscillators "drift" and portamento/glide have a big part to do with the authenticity of the sound you hear in their recording.

Re: RE: Bass Sound for Jamiroqai - Deeper Underground - how do I get that?
by Line6david on 2011-09-28 16:27:41

Hello,

It has been at least 48 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this support ticket. If you feel your question(s) have not been answered, or, if you have further questions, please feel free to re-open a support thread within our support community and we will answer your questions accordingly. Thanks!

Line 6 Support

Re: Bass Sound for Jamiroqai - Deeper Underground - how do I get that?
by gonecoastal on 2011-09-29 03:08:27

Thanks guys, I have been mucking around with the effects as mentioned and come up with some similar sounds and but better than that also some cool ones that I prefer for my own setup.. nice one.!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.