These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

pod hd pro mic latency to DAW via SPDIF
by bern21 on 2011-09-24 11:14:35

What is the latency of the microphone input including a bit of processing until it hits the DAW through the SPDIF output?  Also, the latency to the analog outputs?

RE: pod hd pro mic latency to DAW via SPDIF
by Line6david on 2011-09-29 14:35:21

Hi,

While no precise measurement exists. the latency from the hardware connections would be absolutely imperceptible.

Why are you curious? Is there a certain setup you have in mind?

Thanks,

David

Re: RE: pod hd pro mic latency to DAW via SPDIF
by bern21 on 2011-09-29 16:39:40

Thanks for the reply, David.  I plan to go from the pod unit to my DAW interface, RME FireFace 800.  I usually only use analog mic preamps.  They have almost 0 delay/latency.  However, using the pod unit as a mic preamp, there must be some latency.  I would like to know how much.  I am confortable with 0ms latency, thus, I use analog preamps.  Any figure for the pod latency at the mic preamp to the SPDIF or analog outputs will be appreciated.  I have found that all Line6 devices provide too much latency for an old analog engineer.

Regards,

Burt 

RE: pod hd pro mic latency to DAW via SPDIF
by Line6Don on 2011-10-03 10:19:22

Hey bern21,

As David mentioned above, no official precise measurement of this latency exists.

The POD Pro features analog XLR outputs as well then you could connect directly to your FireFace 800 mic pres.

The POD HD Pro also features the ability to act as a USB audio interface as well, so you if you are concerned about recording digitally, you could connect the POD HD PRO directly to your computer's USB port, assign it as your DAW's interface, and input POD HD sounds directly into the DAW without passing the audio through the FireFace.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.