These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Once you assign 1-8 FX and then changing patches
by sean106ESP on 2011-09-24 22:25:47

Hey guys. I know how to say choose patch 6A. Then make a patch and assing FX pedals 1-8 so I can turn them on and off for this patch. Once I do that....how can I say quickly go to patch 6B? Like if 6A is all distortion and distorition related stuff; and 6B is all clean tone stuff? Thanks.

Re: Once you assign 1-8 FX and then changing patches
by gregr on 2011-09-24 22:39:42

Assuming you're running in pedalboard mode, click on either the bank up or bank down pedal and then choose B (FS6).

by sean106ESP on 2011-09-24 23:40:55

Thanks Greg. When you mean pedal board mode. I assume you are meaning setting I/O to 1-8 instead of ABCD?

Also so I under stand it correct......once a patch has say 7-8 FX assingned....just press FS6........but then what will thar bring me back to? Patches 6A,6B,6C,6D? So I would then technically have to hit twice?....once to get out of the bank and then a second to say....switch to6C?

Thanks as always Greg. You always seem to put up with my noob questions.

BTW got pic's of your Boogies? Always love some gear pron.

by tommasi on 2011-09-25 07:51:33

sean106ESP wrote:

When you mean pedal board mode. I assume you are meaning setting I/O to 1-8 instead of ABCD?

Yes, "FS1-8", as the display shows, is spelled out "pedalboard mode", or at least that's the convention being adopted here.

Also so I under stand it correct......once a patch has say 7-8 FX assingned....just press FS6........but then what will thar bring me back to? Patches 6A,6B,6C,6D? So I would then technically have to hit twice?....once to get out of the bank and then a second to say....switch to6C?

If you're in pedalboard mode, pressing "FS6" any number of times will not switch channel. It will instead toggle whateter fx you have assigned to that footswitch in your patch. In order to change channel, as Greg said, you need to press bank up or down once, which will essentially take you back to "ABCD" mode temporarily, and then one of A, B, C or D to switch to the corresponsing channel. Multiple presses of bank up/down before choosing the channel will also allow you to change bank.

In a nutshell, in pedalboard mode there is no way to change channel with a single press of a footswitch. It's always at least one ogf bank up/down and one of A, B, C or D.

by sean106ESP on 2011-09-25 08:45:17

Ok got it. Thanks guys. Just was seeing if I could avoid tapping two switches mid song live.

by gregr on 2011-09-25 11:08:26

For any given song is it absolutely necessary to be able to toggle the on off state of more than four devices independently?  If the magic number is five devices, have you considered making use of the expression pedal and/or its toe switch?  I often assign the expression pedal to control the my delay mix so that in the heel-down position, the delay is off and in the toe-down position the mix is something like 45.  Also, the HD500 provides for a second expression pedal.  If you also add a stereo volume pedal then you've really increased the amount of control over system.

by sean106ESP on 2011-09-25 11:42:18

Yeah that makes sense. But when we play......most of the songs I write go from a super clean channel with a chorus and a tinge of flange.....then to the djent but tight distortion (which would be the patch with all the FX pedals to have off but I can activate at my willing.....the clean channel stays the same all the time)

Here is an Example of some of my song writing.  (Bad mix as the guitars back then were done using a Randall ISO box and the bass is real low as I did not like my bass players line...LOL hence why I had to let her go shortly after. But gives you an idea.)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7468461

by gregr on 2011-09-25 11:48:25

Seems like you can do this in preset (ABCD) mode.  In fact, I think preset mode would even be preferable so that you don't have to tap dance.  The only other downside I can think of is not being able to have effect spill-over.

by relayerjb on 2011-09-25 12:14:49

gregr wrote:

For any given song is it absolutely necessary to be able to toggle the on off state of more than four devices independently?

Probably not very often, especially since you can assign more than one thing to one pedal it'd be rare to need 4 independent switching options.  More important for me is that when I'm playing live, I might be singing or something too and it's easier to have my foot ready to tap something on the first row of buttons, so I like 1-8 mode.

I try to always have my entire setup for any one song contained within one patch (usually this isn't hard, once in a while I have a song that has a larger number of sounds needed).  So having to tap Up/Down before changing patches isn't such an issue for me.  On my GT8 I have to turn off Manual Mode before changing patches, so this is essentially the same thing...

Good suggestion about the Exp pedal, that works great for any fx that have a mix parameter.  Wish you could also toggle the on/off state of an effect like Distortion at the same time.  You can't just turn its output to 0 because that mutes the whole signal.

by gregr on 2011-09-25 12:56:13

Assign the distortion pedal to the toe switch?

by relayerjb on 2011-09-25 20:03:01

I guess that would work if you also set up the rest of the Exp pedal to toggle in that direction.  But I don't really like using the toe switch, seems like you have to make sure you push too hard to operate consistently.

by sean106ESP on 2011-09-25 21:40:54

I will fiddle around tomorrow or the day after.

But basically as I mentioned here would be the optimal set up for me "Live". (Not recording)

1 preset that I already made and can access which is clean, chorus, slight flange, and slight reverb. I use this alot and all the pedals are on at all times.

2 A preset that is clean with no effects at all. Got that too. Maybe a little reverb.

3 The main distortion djent preset.

I basically want this one to have my treadplate model with the EQ always on....but then access when needed to a phaser, delay for solo's, wah, volume, whammy (not sure yet LOL) reverb and maybe a fuzz. So that is 8. I would typically like all of them off.....but then here and there kick on a pahaser for one pre-chorus....then maybe kick on a delay for a solo.

So it looks like once I make it I just need to hit the bank once and the clean preset to go back to clean-chorus. So no big deal to have to hit twice.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.