These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Big hiss / noise on mag pickups when powered via VDI
by fredo_ on 2011-09-27 10:34:16

Hi everybody, 

I have a quite disturbing issue on my brand new JTV 69 (Korean) and also brand new POD HD 500.

As soon as my Variax is powered by the POD through the VDI cable, the mag pickups become very noisy with a big hiss on the signal (modeled sounds are OK).

When powered by the battery, the mag pickups are perfectly clean. 

The noise appears as soon as I plug the VDI cable into the Variax, even when using the guitar input on the POD and a standard jack cable.

For example, with both VDI and standard jack links between the JTV and the POD, I have noise on both "Guitar" and "Variax Ch 2" inputs (POD input configuration) ; and as soon as I disconnect the VDI cable from the Variax, "Guitar" input becomes clean.

This is not a ground loop noise, but a much higher pitched hiss.

Is something wrong with my JTV and/or my Pod ? 

Thank you for your help ! 

Best regards, 

Fredo.

RE: Big hiss / noise on mag pickups when powered via VDI
by Line6bakker on 2011-09-27 13:17:41

Hi,

I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Line6 support

Re: Big hiss / noise on mag pickups when powered via VDI
by jayson2 on 2011-09-27 20:24:28

Hi Fredo,

Do you have your HD500 hooked up to your PC via USB as well?  If so, try unplugging the cable and seeing if you still get the hiss.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

jayson

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 01:33:26

Interestingly enough I have (EDIT) a very similar (END EDIT) problem with my JTV59-TSB, but it is most noticable when I use it with the VDI connected to the HD500 and monitor on headphones without the HD500 being connected to anything else.

If I connect my HD500 up to my PC with the USB, and have the JTV59 connected via VDI, then the noise from the mags pretty much goes away.

I was wondering whether in my situation it is down to a bad earth or grounding within my JTV59, because when I am connected to another piece of equipment that does have a good earth connection then the problem is very much reduced.

This does seem to be the opposite situation from what other people have reported - typically connecting the HD500 to a PC or an amp can cause a ground loop which can lead to noise issues on the mags of the JTV.  However, in my case, I don't have a ground loop, but I do get noise on the mags when using it with VDI, with HD500 stand alone, but if I then connect via XLR to an amp or mixer, or via USB to a PC, then the noise is no longer as significant.  However, I do still get a pulsing type signal "sshhh ssshh ssshhh" and a quiet mains hum coming through when using the mags with the patches - the patch selected either diminshes this effect or makes it more prominent. These noises are lost when I start to play - but are apparent when I am not playing, particularly when at moderate to loud volume levels.

Cheers

Eddie

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 06:58:41

PS: Just to confirm, that if I use the battery power on my JTV59 and 1/4" jack connection, that I don't get the pulse "sshh sshhh ssshhh" sound on the mags and they seem just as quiet as the model Lester sound when using my X3L to record via USB.

Cheers

Eddie

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 07:01:11

PPS. Sample audio file attached so you can hear what I mean.

There are 4 samples recorded using the same X3L patch via USB into Guitar Tracks Pro as follows:

1) JTV on battery power - 1/4" jack into X3L - mags
2) JTV on battery power - 1/4" jack into X3L - Lester Bridge Model
3) JTV with VDI into X3L - mags
4) JTV with VDI into X3L - Lester Bridge Model

You can clearly hear the pulse sound on sample 3.

by fredo_ on 2011-09-28 07:41:59

@Jayson : I tried removing the USB cable, but it had no effect... still big hiss :-(

@Eddie : Yes in my case it's realy not a ground loop hum but rather a high frequency hiss.

Attached is the recordig I made for line6 support.

First part without VDI, second with VDI, and third without.

Cheers,

Fredo.

by fredo_ on 2011-09-28 07:51:10

Yes that's exactly what I meant !

And in your case you must have a noise suppressor on the patch, that's why the hiss like pulses, as it must be near the threshold level of the noise supressor.

OK so this seems to be a design issue with all the JTV, not only mine...

The mag pickups are just as silent as the model sounds, but some "sshhhhhh" noise comes in the way when the JTV is powerd through the VDI cable.

Can anyone else confirm ?

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 08:01:36

Hi Fredo,

I get a very similar sound on my mags on my JTV59, if I connect using VDI to my HD500 standalone, listen on headphones and have master volume turned to max, on a new patch that does not have any fx or amps switched on, in other words just the guitar signal straight through.

I don't think it's normal. I think it is a fault, both on my guitar and on your JTV69.

Cheers

Eddie

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 08:15:02

Hi Fredo,

Yes I have the noise gate on that patch - in fact it's a two channel patch with hi-gain amps on both channels and noise gate on both channels - which may explain why it is so prominent.

This is my 2nd JTV - it was a replacement for one that had the switch problem - however, my first JTV59 did NOT have this problem. I also know someone else who has a JTV59 and a JTV89, and neither of those have this problem - and he has tried to reproduce it.

So, I don't think it affects every JTV, certainly not the earlier ones, but maybe it is something that is affecting a certain batch of JTVs.

What is the prefix of your JTV serial number?

My first JTV59 was W1101 and that did not have the issue.

My second JTV59 is W1104 and that does have this issue.

Cheers

Eddie

by fredo_ on 2011-09-28 08:29:14

Eddie,

OK so it seems that we both have the same issue :-(...

Likely we're not the only ones, but this thread shows that the problem is not that easy to point out !

Anyway your experience with the first JTV proves that mag pickups should be working silently event with the VDI cable plugged in.

My JTV69 serial # starts with W1107, so likely not the same batch as yours.

Maybe it has something to do with the firmware version ?

I am running the last update (1.71 I think).

Fredo.

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-28 08:39:24

I am running v1.71 on my current JTV59, but I also upgraded the previous JTV59 to v1.71 just before I sent it back for the replacement and it definitely did not have this problem. So I don't think it's the firmware. I suspect that it is a manufacturing process change, either in how they assemble the guitars or a component change on the main board. However, this suspicion can easily be disproved if someone with an earlier model JTV has also experienced this problem. From what I have seen on the forums, the noise issue has only been reported for W1104 and W1107 models so far.

I regret asking for a replacement now, as my first JTV59 only had the switch issue but it had gone off for repair and come back with the same issue, so I should have tried getting it repaired one more time  - and besides the switch issue is much easier to live with than the "noise" issues.

Anyway this 2nd JTV will either have to be repaired or replaced now.

Eddie

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-29 04:03:56

Hi Fredo,

On my JTV59,  I also have an issue with noise on some of the factory model sounds, whether running on battery or with VDI (in fact it seems more prominent when on battery).  I get what sounds like "radio interference" type sounds for positions 2 and 4 of CHIME and ACOUSTIC (the 12 string models) and also positions 2,3,4 of CUSTOM2.

Please find attached recording of each position (1 through 5) in factory default model banks CHIME/ACOUSTIC/RESO/CUSTOM2 of my JTV59 on battery power connected to X3L via 1/4" jack running through same clean amp patch.

This demonstrates the weird interference noise or radio noise that is present on some of the models. You can clearly hear when the noise is present in comparison to the models that don't have it. I recorded each bank in sequence with a short gap in between, stepping through switch psitions 1 to 5, and playing each string individually at each position.

The noise is most noticable on the CHIME and ACOUSTIC 12 string models, and on positions 2,3,4 of the CUSTOM2 bank (not as prominent in pos 3).  The RESO bank seems fine although there is a slight hint of something in pos 4 (BANJO) position but it is not significant and you have to have recording level at max to capture it.

The recording shows factory default models for switch positions 1 through 5 in sequence for each of the following model banks:

Section 1 - CHIME
Section 2 - ACOUSTIC
Section 3 - RESO
Section 4 - CUSTOM2

Do you have this issue with your JTV69 or are all your model sounds silent regarding background noise?

Thanks

Eddie

PS: I don't have this problem with my Variax 700 and I did not have this problem with my first JTV59.

by fredo_ on 2011-09-29 13:41:38

Hi Eddie,

Same here, I got noise on the following models :

- Chime position 2 and 4,

- Acoustic position 2 and 4,

- Custom2 position 2, 3 and 4.

Boooooh we're damned !...

Cheers,

Fredo.

P.S.: First session with the band and my new rig last night. I love the sound of the DT50 and the neck of the JTV 69 !! 8-) Line6 rocks... sometimes !

by jayson2 on 2011-09-29 18:21:50

Actually Fredo, that might be a good thing. 

The fact that both of you have problems with the exact same models but are playing different JTV's, could suggest that a firmware fix rather than a hardware fix might be a solution.  If that's the case, I hope L6 can figure out the problem. 

Cheers,

jayson

by edstar1960 on 2011-09-30 02:51:17

Hi Fredo,

Yes - the JTV certainly rocks! Shame about these annoying problems - but when it's working 100% it is an awesome guitar!

Do you also experience an earthing issue when you are running just the mags? Do you notice a slight fizz or buzz when you touch the bridge or the strings that reduces the background hiss?  Specifically when you get the noise using the VDI ? And maybe at other times too?

If you get a moment, please can you try using your HD500 standalone with just headphones. Connect your JTV to it with the VDI. Select a new patch which ensures you will have no amps or fx's active. Then turn the Master volume up to max and listen to the ambient noise of the mags, try touching the strings and the bridge and see what effect if any that has. Then do the same for the models you listed above, Chime and Acoustic positions 2 and 4, and Custom2 positions 2,3,4.  And just for grins check out the RESO bank, because you may now hear a noise on positions 2 and 4, or at least on 4.

I am very interested to hear what you discover, as these are all the issues I get on my JTV59.

Thanks very much.

Eddie

by fredo_ on 2011-10-04 13:42:16

Hi Eddie,

Sorry for the delay.

So here are my conclusions to the tests :

- I have a slight hum on mag pickups with standard jack cable, for positions 3 and 5 only (but much less disturbing than the noise of the VDI cable),

- I do hear a small fizz when I touch the bridge or the strings, but like I would on any other guitar,

- Same hum with VDI cable on mag pos 3 and 5, but it's covered but the noise of the VDI cable,

- I do hear some noise on RESO position 4, but small.

Hope this helped...

Any news from the support for you ?

For me, the last message was Spet 29, saying they sent the information to the support team in England (I'm in France)...

Cheers,

Fredo.

by edstar1960 on 2011-10-05 02:03:19

Hi Fredo,

Thanks for doing the tests and recording your results.

It is interesting that you say the slight fizz when touching the bridge is the same as you would get from any other guitar - I only get this on my JTV59 and my Gibson LP Standard, I don't have any fizz problem on my Fender Telecaster Custom FMT HH - it is silent. Ideally you should not get any fizz if the guitar is earthed correctly and I did not have that issue on my first JTV59.

This second JTV59 has already been with Line6-UK for a couple of weeks to get these items plus the switch problem repaired - unfortunately it came back with only the switch issue repaired but Line6-UK did not experience the other problems on their tests which is why it was sent back to me. So either something has worked its way loose during shipment back to me, or has subsequently failed, or the problems were not highlighted in their tests.

They have now suggested another replacement guitar - so I am waiting to hear back from them on when that will be available - hopefully soon - and hopefully it won't have any of these issues.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved - they do sound almost identical to mine.

The Line6-UK team will take good care of you.

Best Regards

Eddie

by lindsayward on 2011-10-06 17:08:56

Those positions (chime/acoustic 2 and 4) are all 12-string models. I'm not sure about custom2, but they could be alt-tuned, are they?

by edstar1960 on 2011-10-07 05:11:32

lindsayward wrote:

Those positions (chime/acoustic 2 and 4) are all 12-string models. I'm not sure about custom2, but they could be alt-tuned, are they?

Yes they are.

NB: No problem like this on my first JTV59 or on my Variax 700 for same models.

On this second JTV59 there is no problem on Custom2 positions 1 and 5 either - but 2,3,4 all suffer.

by fredo_ on 2011-10-07 12:26:18

Hi there, 

I just received an answer from Line 6 support and wanted to share with you (I translated from French):

"

We have reproduced the same noise issue during our tests, so far this behavior is normal for JTVs and is not a specific issue with your own guitar.

We are still waiting for more inputs from Line6 US on this matter.

Right now, it is not recommended that you return the guitar to you retailer.

"

Not sure if this is a good news or a bad news...

The good news is that they may work on a solution since they managed to reproduce the issue (will they ?).

Still it is strange that not all the JTVs are affected, according to Eddie's testimony (and I'm sure we would have seen more complaints on this forum if everyone was affected).

I hope the will find a software solution because I don't want to send my guitar back (unless it is replaced right away). 

Wait and see... 

Fredo.

by edstar1960 on 2011-10-12 10:26:06

Hi Fredo,

Thanks for the update.

I am surprised that your guitar has been verified as performing normally - it certainly sounds bad to me IMO.

I have also been told that the hiss on mags via VDI is normal behaviour, however, I think that in some JTVs it is more noticable than others, hence the reason I didn't spot it at all on my first JTV59 - I wish I could get hold of my first JTV59 to try a side by side comparison just to prove that.

I have also been told that the issue has been escalated to the US and that they are hopeful it can be fixed by software upgrade - so, as you say,  we will just have to wait and see.

As you also pointed out - if this is common behaviour then I am surprised that more people have not complained about it on the forums.

Best regards

Eddie

by edstar1960 on 2011-11-02 06:55:00

Quick update to let you know that I got my replacement guitar last week and it has none of the problems that I have mentioned here and it works just as well as I remember my first one working.  It does have hiss on the mag pick ups when using the VDI but it's nowhere near as bad as the other one. And it does not have any earthing issues or any weird radio noises and the ambient noises on the 12 string models are now just background ambient noises that can easily be ignored.

Apparently my faulty one will be sent off to the USA for further analysis so I hope they get to the bottom of it and determine if its just that guitar that is affected or whether others can also have the same problem.  Meanwhile, my new one is sounding great and not giving me any problems - so I hope it stays that way.

Good luck with getting your issue resolved Fredo - I hope you don't have to wait too long.

by fredo_ on 2011-11-02 12:49:38

Well thanx for the update Eddie.

I'm glad you got a replacement guitar that solved most of the issues !

So far no news for me on the hiss on mag pickups with VDI cable, but your new guitar seems to confirm that it's a design issue rather than a faulty guitar...

I do not use mag pickups for now (too noisy), which is a bit of a shame, but I hope that Line6 will find a solution.

If I find some time, I will try adding a RF/EM filter on the power line of my VDI cable to see if it helps (but really this job should be done by Line6 engineers, not by me !...).

Cheers,

Fredo.

by vjclaus on 2011-11-11 05:25:22

hi there, i have the same problem with my jtv59 CSB, big hiss on the magnetic pickups and on the models it´s noticeable. Some guys in the forum told me it´s a ground hum, cause i have connected it to the pod x3live, but with my other guitars there´s no noise hiss.

what should i do?

i put a soundsample in the thread ground hum noise

vjclaus

serial nr. 1018

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.