These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Graphtech Piezo Preamp Compatible With Spider Valve MKII?? 2nd try :)
by grokker on 2011-09-27 22:29:51

Re: Graphtech Piezo Preamp Compatible With Spider Valve MKII?? 2nd try :)
by spaceatl on 2011-09-27 22:48:55

You could run through a Boss pedal...All Boss compact pedals are buffered even in bypass...An LS-2 would give you a trim for it...

It doesn't seem like it would be too hot, But maybe so, that seems to be a bit low impedence...An EMG 81 is 4V...Impedance is 10K...maybe the tranisent voltage is too much for the JFET...pretty sure it would just cut out if you hit it too hard....I have a MK1 and a MK2 and I havenever gotten mine to do that...I have a Strymon OB.1 and that thing will layout some serious signal...makes me wonder if there is some DC on the signal...maybe it's freaking the JFET?

RE: Graphtech Piezo Preamp Compatible With Spider Valve MKII?? 2nd try :)
by Line6Don on 2011-10-04 10:54:37

Hey grokker,

I agree with spaceatl suggestion to connect the guitar to some sort of pedal first to buffer the input to the Spider Vavle MKII.

How does this amp perform when it is used with another guitar that has standard magnetic pickups?

Re: RE: Graphtech Piezo Preamp Compatible With Spider Valve MKII?? 2nd try :)
by grokker on 2011-10-04 16:32:45

Gonna have to try that! Thanks to both of you for weighing in! I just bought a POD HD 500 and the DT50 head hoping to solve the problem that way, as well as experience the higher res models in the newer PODs with the amp voicings. Should I try the preamped guitar through the HD 500? I'm a little gun shy bnow about using the guitar with Line6 stuff now. But I had a POD HD bean and it seemed not to mind the preamped piezo output from the guitar using it for a recording interface. And to answer your question, Don, the other high output magnetics guitars without onboard preamps work fine with the MKII. I tried using the XLR out from the MKII into the mic XLR input of my X3 Live (blank preset, no models) and then into the computer recording software and the MK II didn't seem to like that, either, became unreliable shortly thereafter just like with the preamped guitar. What possible harm could THAT do? I would like to record off the MKII like that if possible. Thanks again! geoff

RE: Graphtech Piezo Preamp Compatible With Spider Valve MKII?? 2nd try :)
by Line6Don on 2011-10-10 10:24:07

Hey grokker,

Give it a shot, if that is the guitar you play, then by all means try it out with your new gear.

That recording setup should work just fine, although if the problem with the hot pickups pushing the front end of the Spider Valve is still going to happen. That signal will then be sent to the X3 and then recorded. So the problem is not with the way you set it up, just the pickups on the guitar over driving the front end of the amp.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.