These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider IV 75W voltage @ 220V 50Hz
by iroman on 2011-09-29 07:48:29

Hi, I'm evaluating the purchase of a Spider IV 75W amp. I live in the US, but travel a lot and would like to make sure it works at 220V 50Hz power.. I'm looking for technical advice.

Have some questions below related to this issue:

1. If a voltage transformer is needed, does it affect the sound quality?

2. Does Line6 have such a voltage transformer and if so, at what price?

3. Can the Amp be modified internally to be able to work at 220V 50hz? Do you do that at the authorized centers in South America? (please indicate where)

Appreciate the comments.

Re: Spider IV 75W voltage @ 220V 50Hz
by misaz on 2011-10-04 06:32:37

You stomped on a real problem here...even in Europe there is different voltage standards, for instance in England is just like in US while other parts of Europe uses 220V 50Hz, different plugin jack too .

1. It is needed, huge impact in terms of size and weight rather then sound quality

2. don't know, doubt...

3. Transformer should be wounded for both voltages...think there is no space for that

Maybe you should buy your amp in Europe while you're there and sold it before you return home...hope I helped at all

by iroman on 2011-10-04 14:15:22

Thanks man. The plugins are the least that worries me. I'm more concerned with sound quality if used with a transformer. I guess I'll just get a transformer when I move.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-05 11:34:47

misaz wrote:

You stomped on a real problem here...even in Europe there is different voltage standards, for instance in England is just like in US while other parts of Europe uses 220V 50Hz, different plugin jack too .

1. It is needed, huge impact in terms of size and weight rather then sound quality

2. don't know, doubt...

3. Transformer should be wounded for both voltages...think there is no space for that

Maybe you should buy your amp in Europe while you're there and sold it before you return home...hope I helped at all

Hi

Just one major point of correction is needed here.  In England (the UK as a whole) the standard mains voltage is considered to be 240v AC at 50Hz and so is NOT the same as the US.  In practical terms this may vary a ittle however.

You can buy a Step Down transformer here in the UK quite easily which will convert a 240v AC input to 120v AC output.  Something like a 300w Step Down transformer should be sufficient to operate a Spider IV 75 intended for  US power supplies safely.

Nick

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.