These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

XD-V70 or G50/90?
by wettl9953 on 2011-09-30 09:38:39

I have a requirement for another wireless system (bass guitar) and wonder if I should go purpose-built with the G50 or G90 or get the XD-V70L and a guitar cable and have a unit that I could also use for voice with a lavalier mic or by adding the handheld mic.

The unit will be primarily used for the guitar, but if the XD-V70L would work just as good I will probably go that route for the added flexibility.

Thoughts?

Re: XD-V70 or G50/90?
by dboomer on 2011-09-30 10:31:27

The differences are feature set and form factor.  Sound quality is identical in all of them.

The instrument units have cable modeling to simulate the effect (losses)  that a guitar cable adds to your signal chain.  The G50 is obviously a pedal board receiver and the G90 has a A/B switch to easily switch between transmitters if you use more than one instrument/transmitter.

The XD-V has a 1/2 rack form and an environment filter for reduction of unwanted sound.  You'd have to try that with an instrument to see if you'd like that or not.

by wettl9953 on 2011-09-30 11:02:01

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I understand the cable modelling on the the G50/90, that is most useful if you switch back and forth from wireless to wired and don't want to change any settings yet have your guitar sound "exactly" the same.  If you're never going to switch, I can't see wanting to model in a fake cable? 

Maybe it's the sound engineer in me and not coming from the player side.  My son wants the wireless on his bass guitar.  I will get the best thing - just also want the most flexible unit and don't want to lock into just a guitar wireless system.

I have used other manufacturer standard wireless/beltpack combos for mic'ing guitars in the past and I don't ever remember someone complaining about any changes in signal quality between wireless or cabled.

The only thing I see with the XD-V70 is that I'll need the mini-XLR to 1/4" cable for pickup versus the G50/90 where the beltpack takes a standard 1/4".  That little bit of cable is the least of my problem I think - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important before deciding which to purchase.

by sdevino on 2011-09-30 12:09:08

The TA4 (what you refer to as mini XLR) to 1/4 inch also provides a different impedance for the guitar or bass than a regular mic sees (its wired slightly differently in the connector). So that should give you a head start on bass or guitar appropriate matching. Liking or not liking the sound of cable modeling is a personal choice and sometimesthe particular requirements of the performance.

Steve

by dboomer on 2011-09-30 13:40:07

"The only thing I see with the XD-V70 is that I'll need the mini-XLR to 1/4" cable for pickup versus the G50/90 where the beltpack takes a standard 1/4"."

No ... G50/90 and V70L all use TA4f connections to the transmitter.  The G30 and V30 use 1/4"

by sdevino on 2011-09-30 13:44:20

OK just for clarification: The guiar obviously needs the 1/4" and I assumed the OP was refering to the TA4F as a mini XLR..

So the G50/90 and the V70 body pack transmitters would all require a 1/4" to TA4F as Don pointed out.

Steve

by wettl9953 on 2011-10-07 15:39:58

So I bought the XD-V70L and the guitar cord from the Line6 store.  Everything came today, easy to setup and my son took off to practice.  I'll find out later how he likes it but I couldn't have got anything easier!!!  Thanks for the helpful and quick answers everyone.  I'm very happy I purchased the XD-V70 rather than the G50 for the extra flexibility and use.

by dboomer on 2011-10-10 10:06:48

Thanks Mark

Please keep us posted so that others can learn from your experience.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.