These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How to set the overdrive/screamer, and compressor effects?
by Talenless on 2011-09-30 10:11:07

So i'm pretty much an effecttard. when i used to play through my 50-watt tube combo i would just plug straight in, and get my OD from the amp's gain and volume knobs. maybe use a digital delay in the effects loop.

now that i have all of these OD/screamer/distortion effects right there, i'm wondering how to set the controls. i've always read that the gain gets set to zero, and the volume set to 10.

is this the typical way to use this effect?

also, i've never used a compressor effect before. and am pretty clueless how to set these things.

but i think that this goes before the OD effect

is there a page with tutorials, explanations, descriptions of how and why?

Re: How to set the overdrive/screamer, and compressor effects?
by duey101 on 2011-09-30 10:37:32

In general I set a Red Comp in the chain first and set it to 49%-49% and adjust up from that.  When I use distortion I set those at 49% to start as well, and then adjust up or down depending on what sound I want.  Normally I mix a Tube Driver with a Fuzz PI or a Tube Screamer (Tube Driver comes after Fuzz PI or Screamer).  I made a guide on my website for my You Tube followers to use.  You can look at that for general information on how I create tones (David Gilmour) and what steps I take and why, that may be useful.

http://www.dueymoore.com/david_gilmour_tone_guide_pod_h.html

by TheRealZap on 2011-09-30 10:57:44

excellent work Duey... i'm going to have to give these a whirl.

by meambobbo on 2011-09-30 11:23:54

i don't know if there's a standardized terminology here, but I've always been led that an overdrive is a pedal used to boost the signal level WITHOUT distortion, so that some other piece of your signal chain distorts.  Older amps would barely distort when cranked.  Overdrive pedals raised the input signal level forcing the amp to distort.  They can also EQ the tone, changing the way the amp distorts.  A brighter tone results in a more searing distortion, whereas a darker distortion sounds more fuzzy.

Modern distortion pedals did the opposite.  You'd keep your amp clean and get all the distortion from the distortion pedal.  This is helpful if you didn't like the way your amp would distort - your pedal provides the distortion and the amp just amplifies it without providing its own distortion.

For the "distortion" effects on the Pod HD, most can be used as overdrive or distortion.  For an overdrive, you want to turn down the drive (which controls the amount of compression then distortion inside the effect) down and turn the gain (which controls the output level of the effect without changing the tone) up.  But you only need to turn up the gain enough to get your amp (or amp model on the Pod) to distort.

On a distortion effect, you can use the "drive" parameter to get some compression - just turn it up a tad, but not enough so that it itself is distorting.

If you want to use a compressor, you generally want to set it before your distortion/overdrive effect.  If you're not using a distortion/overdrive, place it before your amp model.  It'll usually have threshold and level parameters.  Threshold is the volume level the input signal has to be at or above for the compressor to work on it, and level sets the output level of the signal when the compressor is working.  A higher threshold means very little of your playing will be compressed, only the attack when you pick/strum hard.  A lower threshold will compress everything, leading to longer sustain and basically make all your playing a relatively consistent volume.

I usually use heavier distortion, and find that my distortion stage offers enough compression.  However, if I want a mild crunch type distortion, but I need it to work on signle notes as well as chords, I'll put a compressor in front.

by Hey_Joe on 2011-10-01 09:29:48

Duey - This was a very useful guide and in all the years I've been frequenting the Line 6 forums I've never seen a nicer presentation along with the visuals of Edit.

I really don't care for Edit either and liked Gearbox better all the way around for editing. Seems I first saw this GUI when I got my Spider IV and the Spider editor and Line 6 seems to have branched off of it with the HD Edits...it could have worked better if it was more like PodFarm individual effects close ups. I DLed your Clean Hywatt patch last night before I saw the above link...really nice.

Between you and Meambobbo, I've seen some really great advice this past week on the forum -

meam - thanks for your answer here...your HD guide thread got so big with thank yous I never got around to extending thanks...so thanks for your hard work...been using it as a complete start from scratch all over again course in HD500 101 learning.

Now to add duey's ideas to all that.

by pratikb on 2011-10-01 12:57:26

by the way duey...i saw all your videos on the youtube....Excellent is not the word to tell how much respect i have for the way you have dedicated a page for David G. I loved your solo on the "Turning Away". I pray to God that you should get a chance to jam with David Gilmoure on Comfortably Numb and Time.

I request you to please post a video on how to get the sound on sound or a patch to get the tone for David G in detal.

by spikey on 2011-10-01 21:12:36

All I can say is damn...

Duey ur my new hero! I copied your setup and tweaked a bit and wow, the patch just came alive using your setup.

Thanks man.....

by StudioTM on 2011-10-02 05:28:30
 Duey wrote:

In general I set a Red Comp in the chain first and set it to 49%-49% and adjust up from that.  When I use distortion I set those at 49% to start as well, and then adjust up or down depending on what sound I want.  Normally I mix a Tube Driver with a Fuzz PI or a Tube Screamer (Tube Driver comes after Fuzz PI or Screamer).  I made a guide on my website for my You Tube followers to use.  You can look at that for general information on how I create tones (David Gilmour) and what steps I take and why, that may be useful.

http://www.dueymoore.com/david_gilmour_tone_guide_pod_h.html

Thank you for sharing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Br

Thor

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.