These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

DSP Limit?
by fanir on 2011-10-01 21:32:23

Hi, having bought this unit yesterday, I have played with it ever since. It's superb, I totally love it. Best money spent on a gear so far though the steep learning curve. Anyway, I'm having a little problem. Here's my FX chain so far -

pitch - screamer - delay - reverb - brit 800 - whammy (pitch glide).

I wanted to try out the dual amp feature but the unit comes up with a DSP limit error?

Any ideas?

Other than the above issue, I'm loving the unit. Top notch Line 6!

Re: DSP Limit?
by qwpeoriu on 2011-10-01 22:26:16

DSP limit you say? Welcome to the club, have a seat, try the veal.

Dual amp mode hogs a lot of the unit's processing power, there are also DSP heavy effects (e.g. some reverbs). When you hit that limit, you don't really have a choice but to bump back down to single amp mode, start trimming effects out of your chain, or switch out processor heavy effects for ones that are less processor expensive. It kinda sucks, but the more you work with the unit, the more you learn to work around the lack of horsepower.

by silverhead on 2011-10-02 06:24:33

A quick search of this forum under the term 'DSP limit' will lead you to a bunch of previous threads on this topic - you'll have a week's worth of bedtime reading!

If you really want to see feathers fly, try calling it either a feature or a problem. I suspect there are about a hundred proponents of each who will be happy to re-engage on the topic!

Personally, I think that horse was beaten dead some time ago.

by TheRealZap on 2011-10-02 06:31:11

reverb and pitch effects are the most expensive DSP items outside of the amp models... so your chain already has some potentially heavy DSP items in it besides...

the spring reverb for example is the heaviest DSP useage reverb... and i'd guess it's a favorite because of that....

afterall many of us pick it because of its quality... and it takes more power to deliver that.

by bbenham on 2011-10-02 06:37:20

Also, depending on what you are using for amplification, you may want to try using the amp pre's as opposed to full amps.  If you're going thru a guitar amp fx loop or into one of the Line 6 DT series amps they will be providing the power amp section anyways.  If you are going thru studio monitors, headphones, or PA you may want to stick with the full amp sims and trim some of the other effects or use less resource intensive ones.  The attachment at the end of the first post of this linked thread will give you some rough estimates of which are the most resource intensive amps and effects.

http://line6.com/support/message/208840

P.S. doesn't matter if you call it a feature or a problem.  It just is what it is.  If you love the sounds you're getting from the unit then you'll find a way to live within your DSP budget.  It would be nice if Line 6 gave us a dsp resource usage gauge though.

by albertpike2000 on 2011-10-03 09:44:14

I was momentarily  frustrated until I figured out that Line 6 gave us a lot of toys to play with and maximum flexibility on the HD 500. It is the same as my UAD card -- I can't run all of the plug-ins at once. I think of the effects, amps, etc as plug-ins and understand that some hog more resources than others, then work within the parameters. It is an intelligent well-designed platform IMHO.

by gregr on 2011-10-03 09:48:38

As someone who essentially never has this as an issue, I'd like to see more slots for effects blocks.

by fireballchaser on 2011-10-03 09:58:12

I couldn't agree more.  You'll never hit the DSP limit on the 400, 300, x3, XT, or 2.0.  Then again, you won't even be able to come close to how much you'll be able to with the 500.  Sure, it would be nice to not have to worry about it but that is one problem that I love being able to even have the ability to hit.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.