These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 buzz issues, weird feedback, time on warranty is a tickin' - Need help!!!
by Captain_Sensible on 2011-10-03 17:17:51

I forgot to mark my other discussion (found at http://line6.com/support/message/317345)as a question, so I'm repeating it here to try to get some Line 6 corporate love.

I purchased my Pod last October.  I've never had any issues with it.  But yesterday it started buzzing like mad after you plug in the guitar cable.  I'm using headphones.  I tried different cables, different guitars, different outlets, yada yada.  I tried reinstalling the software.  No change.  When a cable is plugged into the guitar input or the aux input, the unit makes an awful buzz.  If you touch the little metal bar below the screen you get a little feedback click like the whole thing is pulsing with electricity.

I need help to figure out what is wrong.  Again, check my other post for additional details and replies to other folks' suggestions.

My warranty runs out in less than two weeks so I'm anxious to identify this problem and see if it is something I can fix or if I need to haul the unit across state lines this weekend to the nearest service shop.

Line 6, help me out!

Thanks.

Re: HD500 buzz issues, weird feedback, time on warranty is a tickin' - Need help!!!
by Primitim on 2011-10-03 22:27:00

My best bet would be a grounding problem. Since you've already tried different (quality?) cables, outlets, guitars etc. I guess it would be in the device itself. So get it to the nearest service shop asap before your warranty expires.

Re: HD500 buzz issues, weird feedback, time on warranty is a tickin' - Need help!!!
by jimsreynolds on 2011-10-04 03:15:59

I would say, take it to a friend's house and try it out with his guitar/cable and ... wall socket.   If the noise persists, take the hit and do the warranty call.  It may be that the input jack on the HD is damaged

.... actually, have you tried plugging into the second input on the HD (Aux In)?  You would need to set Input 2 to 'Guitar' on the system settings (set Input 1 to Variax for the purposes of testing).  If the noise goes then there is a strong indicator of damage to the input jack.

by Captain_Sensible on 2011-10-04 05:21:29

Thanks, Jim.  I have tried the aux input and that results in the same buzzing.

by xvykariousx on 2011-10-05 10:16:33

I had the same problem a long time ago but I started using XLR out cables instead of 1/4" cables and that reduced the buzz by a lot. It is a grounding issue, and there's not much you can do about it playing through headphones other than using the noisegate which takes away a lot of the sustain.

RE: HD500 buzz issues, weird feedback, time on warranty is a tickin' - Need help!!!
by Line6Don on 2011-10-07 14:56:08

Hey Captain_Sensible,

If you have reinstalled the latest POD HD500 flash memory, tried multiple cables, guitars, and power outlets without any change to buzz. I would suggest that you have a local Line 6 Service Center assess the unit for you.

To locate a Line 6 service Center in your area, follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Re: RE: HD500 buzz issues, weird feedback, time on warranty is a tickin' - Need help!!!
by Captain_Sensible on 2011-10-08 18:38:18

That's exactly what I've done.  I'll post again in a couple of weeks when I hear back from them on what the issue is and whether they could fix it.  Thanks.

RE: HD500 buzz issues, weird feedback, time on warranty is a tickin' - Need help!!!
by Line6Don on 2011-10-13 09:46:15

Hey Captain_Sensible,

Your welcome. If you have any questions once you get the unit back from repair, please start a new thread.

Thank you.

by Captain_Sensible on 2011-10-20 13:58:03

Well, I took my HD500 to a local repair shop for fixin'.  After two weeks I heard that they didn't have the parts from Line 6 to fix it so it is being sent off to the factory.  Still not sure what is wrong with it.  Now it will likely take two to four more weeks before the local shop gets it back from Line 6.  Hopefully at that point it will be back in good shape.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.