These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 dsp limit
by oommen on 2011-10-03 21:48:31

Is it possible to upgrade the POD HD500 DSP limit? I'm loving the sound and flexibility I get from my HD500, but the problem I've been facing is the amount of pre show work I have to put in to assigning different sounds to different presets - I've been trying to configure mine to work as a traditional pedal board with all 8 switches being assigned to different effects, but it's virtually impossible for me to do this without reaching the DSP limit. I understand that certain effects like reverbs take up more memory, but still, this is leaving me feeling very limited without the freedom of selecting effects on the fly the way you would with a traditional pedal board, instead of having to program a bunch of presets with different sounds

Re: POD HD500 dsp limit
by gregr on 2011-10-03 22:35:51

Other than reducing the overhead through making compromises or careful effects selection, the DSP limit is what it is.  There is currently no provision for upgrading.

One thing you didn't mention is whether moving from full-amp models to preamp models is doable.  This will free up DSP resources as well.

Of course there isn't anything stopping you from incorporating additional effects around your HD500, either before the guitar input, in the loop or after the output as you would with a traditional pedal board.

by jimsreynolds on 2011-10-04 02:55:37

Again, if you are using a 'real' guitar amp that works for you, you can use the pre-amp/Power amp from that and just use the HD for effects.  This will free up a lot of DSP - I rarely see an issue in that mode. 

Understand why you may not want to go that way though ...

by Finewest on 2012-01-29 10:46:40

I also am having the same issue... I want to use my Desktop POD HD with  my Line 6 expression board as a line in recording effect processor pedalboard, but am running into the same DSP overloads. Very fustrating. I also have a "real amp" Bugera V22 that has a effect loop so I can go direct to its amp bypassing the pre-amp, but this model amp does not have a line out for recording... I don't suppose a firmware update would help?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-29 11:04:42

Depending on the firmware you are coming from and to I suppose it might help but I have not heard any suggestion that there has been a big drop in DSP on any FW updates.  Nor have I seen anyone tracking the differences.

There is an old thread on DSP usage here that may help with choosing your doom.  http://line6.com/support/thread/50339

">http://line6.com/support/thread/50339">http://line6.com/support/thread/50339

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-29 11:08:32

You might find that you can get away with running Output 1 from the HD to your Bugera power stage and Output 2 into a DI Box that includes a speaker sim.  That DI box would go to the desk. At least one of the expert users here uses this method (Nick_Mattocks).  Make sure that your Panning is all centred if you go this way.

I think Behringer (amongst others) has such a device.,

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.