These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

No sound from Direct output (XLR) ?of Spider Valve 212 MkI
by Opethfan1 on 2011-10-12 20:04:29

I have a Spider Valve 212 (MkI) and want to hook up direct from the XLR output on the rear via an XLR to 1/8" (Stereo) cord, to my PC (to run through recording software).  I've tried this going into both my PC's line inputs and mic inputs and with the amp's ground switch at 'grnd' and 'lifted' but get no signal at all either way.  The cabinet speakers remain fully functional during the entire process too, never muted.  Does this mean I'm supposed to switch something manually that I've missed, or disconnect the speakers?  Sorry, total rookie here...........suggestions?   By the way, I can run my Spider III-15 to my PC via it's phones/record out jack to any of my PC's line or mic inputs and get a signal that is quite clean and the (Spider III's) speaker is automatically muted too.

Re: No sound from Direct output (XLR) ?of Spider Valve 212 MkI
by spaceatl on 2011-10-12 21:08:40

You need a mic preamp for the XLR output...It's mic level, not line level...XLR->1/8" mono to your mic input would be your bet bet with what you have...Ideally you need a transformer to change it to unbalanced...

Might be easier if you got yourself a small mixer and feed your line in from that...

by Opethfan1 on 2011-10-15 15:38:30

Thx Spaceatl,  I will attempt your suggestion.  I'm a bit surprised though that even when it was plugged into the mic input there was no sound though.  I also tried to put it from the Spider Valves XLR output to the guitar input of my spider III-15 (sort of an pre-amp boost/mixer) and through the 'clean channel' then from the phones/record out to my PC....and still nothing....

by Opethfan1 on 2011-10-22 13:16:27

Sorry to bug you @spaceatl....I'm looking at an ART Pro Audio USB series dual pre-amp Computer interface which says accepts Balanced XLR inputs and has aditional ground loop noise reduction...do you think this would help?

Again, I`m a complete rookie in this field and any help is totally appreciated....I``ve included the product link below if that helps?

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/8757/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mic_Preamps_DI_Boxes/ART_Pro_Audio/USB_Project_Series_Dual_Preamp_Computer_Interface.htm

by spaceatl on 2011-10-22 17:01:47

Seems like it would...You definitely need  mic pre for the MK1 XLR out...any mixer would do that, if you need an interface that might make things easier...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.