These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

problems with four cable method
by guitarmonkey88 on 2011-10-13 09:51:31

hello there ive recently invested in an ENGL fireball and wanted to use my x3live solely as an effects unit, i heard about ther four cable method to ensure no colouration from the pedal and use the amps distortion with effects added after eg.noise gate & delay form the pedal but i can seem to get it to work and get a nice sound, it seems that none of the effects are actually doing anything at all but the loop is turned on and is set to full on send and return, any ideas?dan

Re: RE: problems with four cable method
by Kneehow on 2011-10-13 11:27:10

Well, I hate to say this, but there's going to an amount coloration with our POD X3 Live. The minute an analog input signal goes into the POD, there's a stage of analog-to-digital conversion right there. Regardless of whether you have amp modelling turned on or off, your signal is being run through the processor, digitally. Upon completing the internal path, the signal is then reconverted back to analog and output at either instrument or line level output.

So if you want to try the 4-cable method, your physical connections need to be like this:

1. Guitar into the input of the X3 Live. (Cable #1).
  2. FX Loop Send to the input of your Amp. (Cable #2).
  3. Amp's FX Loop Send back to the FX Return on the X3 Live (Cable #3).
  4. X3 Live's 1/4" output to the FX Return jack on your Amp. (Cable #4).

Make sure the desired FX after the X3 Live's loop position are engaged and not bypassed.

Re: RE: problems with four cable method
by Line6Tony on 2011-10-20 09:05:54

Hello. It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you feel your question(s) have not been answered, or, if you have further questions, please feel free to re-open a support thread within our support community and we will answer your questions accordingly. Thanks!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.