These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Is it bad to run DT50 Head direct into PA W/O having a cabinet hooked up?
by shredbkw on 2011-10-14 06:41:48

I have been running my DT50 Direct output at gigs with no cabinet attached for about a month now.  I recently heard that It burns up the tubes doing that and is a BIG no no.  should I start hooking the 4X12 up again or Is DT50 an exception to that rule?

Re: Is it bad to run DT50 Head direct into PA W/O having a cabinet hooked up?
by TheRealZap on 2011-10-14 07:03:48

you really need to have some load attached to the head...

you can always get a single 12 or 212 cabinet if you just dont need the volume of a 412

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-14 07:03:55

You should NEVER run a valve amp with the Standby switched on direct to a PA if there's no speaker load or suitable dummy load attached.

You can cause a lot of damage to the tubes and the output transformer as well as the surrounding circuits.

The DT-50 is a valve amp and you should treat it the same as any other valve amp and ALWAYS have a cab attached.  You may have been extremely lucky to get away with what you have been doing   But re-connect a speaker load or purchase a power-soak or dummy load that will make silent running safe to do.

Nick

by shredbkw on 2011-10-14 11:25:39

Thanks, I found another thread explaining my stupidity on this one.  but You would think if it was a bad thing that it would sound terrible, or have some type of feedback or something.lol   in all actuality,  When I have walked out front with my rig hooked up this way it is some of the best tone I have ever achieved.lol

anyways I have played maybe 15-20 gigs hooking it up this way, so I'll probably go get the head checked out to make sure nothing is fried, but as far as I can hear, the DT50 sounds as good as ever.

Thanks guys

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-14 11:39:02

FWIW I don't think you'll have done the amp any favours by running without a speaker load, but if it's still working and sounding good, I wouldn't worry unduly.   You will probably need to replace the power tubes a bit earlier than you would have, but the main thing is that the amp seems to have survived intact so far.  I would simply advise that from now on you use the amp as intended    I think you've had a narrow escape, but we all make mistakes now and then.

Enjoy your amp.

Nick

by shredbkw on 2011-10-17 09:16:06

Got the amp checked out.  the guy said he didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and that the tubes looked like they have a good bit of life left.  I'll probly replace them after I've had it a year to be on the safe side.  plus, my cover bands play every weekend so I put plenty of hours on it.  does line 6 reccomend any certain brand of tube for replacement??? 

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-17 12:39:16

The factory fitted brand is Electro-Harmonix tubes I think, so those will be the preferred spec tubes - although you can pick up a whole range of tubes all made in the same factory on the same machines to the same specs, but under a range of different brand names.  You should be safe enough if you buy any major reputable brand versions that meet the same specs as the original tubes.  You should re-bias the amp anyway.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.