These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Workbench 1.72.0 installer has contains a trojan horse virus?
by SCRaible on 2011-10-15 17:00:47

My Norton insists that the download file for Variax Workbench 1.72.0 installer contains a trojan horse and won't permit download or installation.  Anyone else had this experience?  Have Win 7, PodX3Live, Variax 700 acoustic.

Re: Workbench 1.72.0 installer has contains a trojan horse virus?
by BigChas52 on 2011-10-15 17:09:32

I just D/L'd on Win7 with Norton and it went just fine.  No notices. Everything OK.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-10-16 17:22:44

Norton is the worst fucking anti-virus software out there. Sorring for the swearing, but really, everyone should get this diabolical crap off their computers. I use Kaspersky and would recommend that or AVG Free if you're on a budget. Please uninstall Norton. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

by SCRaible on 2011-10-16 17:43:28

Thanks for the info, and yes when my current licenses of multi-PC (I have 6) Norton, I will definitely shop for an alternative; however I have had worse problems with McAfee and Trend Micro (which others also swear by, but it screwed up my registry on another PC).

As it turns out, after reading similar posts, I tried the same installation today and it worked without incident.  I suspect that with the automatic link of found issues to "Norton Community", the specific issue may have been corrected by Norton (or Mr_Arkadin is correct and Norton is diabolical crap as stated) prior to today's installation.  Either way, my Workbench is now up to date according to Monkey.

Thanks, again.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-10-17 04:02:36

Yes McAfee is diabolical too. Avoid. Never heard of Trend Micro.

by johnpicton on 2011-10-17 12:43:53

I completely agree with Mr_Arkadin - What I don't really see is that even though you have a licence for Norton that you are going to carry on using it. That's a bit like buying a dozen oysters and finding out they are all bad but you decide to eat them because you have paid for them.

I would strongly suggest that you consider an alternative. I work with a lot of people that have specific needs of their systems and use equipment that doesn't always hit the hardware in a conventional way. Frequently Norton prevents their systems from working and McAfee just plain slows their systems down.

AVG and Avast! are both free (so you wont spend any additional money) and will probably serve you better IMHO.

by amx05462 on 2011-10-18 01:31:08

i have good luck with a combination  of microsoft  security essentials  which is free   and   avg 2011.  between the two nothing  gets  through .

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.