These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD 500 MIDI Clock?
by Earhacker on 2011-10-19 03:25:27

Hi,

Sorry to double-post this, but I asked the question in a relevant thread and never got a response.

I'm not a POD owner yet, but I'm looking at the HD500. I'm really only asking how well it is able to sync to MIDI Clock.

If the HD500 accepts MIDI Clock signals - following a firmware upgrade - and these affect some Tempo parameter, what then uses this Tempo parameter? Is it global, i.e. does it affect the Looper and FX such as delays and LFOs?

What I want to do is live looping, but with the loops syncing to a MIDI sequencer of some kind - probably an Akai MPC eventually, but for now a Korg Electribe or something. Both of these can be MIDI Clock slaves or masters. I'm trying to figure out a good workflow, and the best I can think of is to have some guitar looper which can function as a Clock master, which will then control the tempo of the MIDI sequencer. Then I can hit Play on a pre-sequenced backing track and it plays in time with my live-recorded loop.

Is the POD HD500 powerful enough to manage all of this on its own, or should I consider a 2880 (which can do exactly what I want, but doesn't have the POD's sweet modelling) in the effects loop? Because that's gonna stretch my budget and my pedalboard.

The alternative is to let the sequencer be the master, and slave the HD500, but if I do that, does the MIDI Clock do things like quantise the length of the loops, or automatically adjust delay times?

tl;dr Can the POD HD 500 be a MIDI Clock master?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Earhacker

Re: POD HD 500 MIDI Clock?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-19 04:03:43

Hi

I will have to try and double check all of those points for you as I'm not 100% sure, however at present the HD500 does not (as far as I'm aware) act as a MIDI clock.

The HD500 is a little restricted in what it can do with incoming MIDI currently.  Hopefully this will be addressed in a future firmware update, but I can't say if or when that will occur.

I'll try and take a look in the next day or so, but I won't have time for at least 24 hours to set up my rig to manage this and that will depend on how busy I am with my day job.  I can see all the reasons why you are asking these questions and they make sense, however, I don't usually get too involved with synchronising my guitar gear to a sequencer or external looper which is why I am a little vague on these specific points.

Regards

Nick

by Line6Tony on 2011-10-19 18:10:16

I'll add to Nick's post and modify a bit: The HD500 is a little restricted in what it can do with incoming MIDI currently, likely not to the degree you are looking for. It is not intended to be a master. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future firmware update, but I can't say if or when that will occur.

by ibrowze on 2011-12-04 11:11:52

I've just updated the HD500 firmware and it still won't sync to my Boss DR-670 drum machine via midi cable. Boss says 70bpm HD500 says 69.9bpm. That sucks when it comes to phrase looping

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.