These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod Hd 500 Effects in the Dt25 Effects loop
by kmcnair1 on 2011-10-19 18:29:44

Will the AES/EBU XLR cable,recomended by Line 6 using the L6 Link connection make a difference in the quality of the sound coming from the DT25 when hooked to The Pod HD 500. I just hooked up the HD 500 using the effects send and returns to and from the DT25  with the guitar straight into the amp and the effects sound insanely better. Much more definition And quality to the sound. I guess the effects are coming in before the Preamp hooked up this way. the HD 500 patch has No amp or Pre amp selected, just effects .  I got the DT25 last week and have been using a regular XLR cable L6 link from the Pod HD 500 and the effects sound kinda gritty, not very clean and not much depth.

Re: Pod Hd 500 Effects in the Dt25 Effects loop
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-20 00:13:14

kmcnair1 wrote:

Will the AES/EBU XLR cable,recomended by Line 6 using the L6 Link connection make a difference in the quality of the sound coming from the DT25 when hooked to The Pod HD 500. I just hooked up the HD 500 using the effects send and returns to and from the DT25  with the guitar straight into the amp and the effects sound insanely better. Much more definition And quality to the sound. I guess the effects are coming in before the Preamp hooked up this way. the HD 500 patch has No amp or Pre amp selected, just effects .  I got the DT25 last week and have been using a regular XLR cable L6 link from the Pod HD 500 and the effects sound kinda gritty, not very clean and not much depth.

When the HD500 is connected up using L6-Link, the DT-25's DSP/Pre-amp section is bypassed and the HD500 becomes the pre amp for the DT-25.   The FX from the HD500 - if placed in the same equivalent position in the signal chain should sound equally as good as you're reporting with an analogue connection when treating the DT-25 as a regular amp because there's no additional D>A and A>D conversion happening, and in fact I would expect the L6-Link signal to sound marginally better if anything.

I hear what you are saying and I don't disbelieve what your ears are telling you.  I haven't had my DT-25 long enough to really notice that kind of difference myself, but I will try and check it out over the next few days when I get a chance.

If you're certain that the signal flow is identical in terms of FX placement before and after the PRE amp stage and that you are using the one of the same four PRE amp models in the HD500  that are used in the DT-25 to drive the DT-25 power amp, then I'm not sure what the problem might be.   Remember that when using the FX in the DT-25's own FX Loop to achieve the equivalent placement of those FX in the HD500 - DT25 L6 Link version, the FX would need to be placed post PRE amp block in the HD500. 

Can you post both your L6 Link version of an HD500 preset and its equivalent as an FX only preset and exacty how you have everything connected in both scenarios please?   That would help me at least ensure that I'm on the same page as you when I get around to looking at this. in a day or two with my own rig.

Thanks

Nick

by kmcnair1 on 2011-10-20 14:04:38

Hey Nick thanks for the reply!

I just got the  AES/EBU XLR cable and there is for sure a difference in the sound quality of the Pod HD 500 when using it in the L6 link hook up to the DT25,as compared to a standard XLR cable. Every thing is cleaner and more defined. the reverbs and delays are much smoother and not so gritty.

but just to be sure I'm not going crazy,I'm going to do a A/B test into protools  of 3 or 4 patches with and XLR and then The AES/EBU XLR cable and do a blind sound test on a couple of my friends that great ears( gold album producers and enginners) will get back to you with the results.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-20 17:15:57

kmcnair1 wrote:

Hey Nick thanks for the reply!

I just got the  AES/EBU XLR cable and there is for sure a difference in the sound quality of the Pod HD 500 when using it in the L6 link hook up to the DT25,as compared to a standard XLR cable. Every thing is cleaner and more defined. the reverbs and delays are much smoother and not so gritty.

but just to be sure I'm not going crazy,I'm going to do a A/B test into protools  of 3 or 4 patches with and XLR and then The AES/EBU XLR cable and do a blind sound test on a couple of my friends that great ears( gold album producers and enginners) will get back to you with the results.

Yep - good idea.  I did exactly that with the DT-50 and HD500 earlier this year.  I haven;t done it yet with the HD500 and DT-25

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.