These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Using JTV Guitars with VDI Equipped PODs
by flabergaster on 2011-10-19 20:05:53

I already own a Variax 700, 300, and an X3 Live.  I'm very spoiled to changing guitars with patches.

That being said, I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge with the JTV59 or 69.

I downloaded and read the JTV manual and it says almost nothing about pairing with the X3 or how the magnetic pickups come into play when the VDI connection is used.

Can someone please explain this and how I'll have to change from my normal approach with the legacy Variaxs, or point me to a known article that already exists. I did several searches of the forum but didn't turn up much. 

Oh, and does the guitar power off the VDI cable like the legacy Variax, or do you have to keep the battery charged?

Thanks.

Re: JTV and X3L Via VDI
by edstar1960 on 2011-10-20 01:49:17

The X3L with the latest flash/firmware fully supports the JTV.

Using a VDI connection from the JTV to the X3L you will be able to power the JTV and also change guitar model patches when you swap X3L patches.

The X3L will recognise that you have a JTV connected rather than your V700 or V300 and it will default to DONT FORCE MODEL.  So you will have to go through each patch with the JTV connected, swap it to Variax Control and then dial in the desired guitar model for that patch on the JTV. If you are on input view you will see the model displayed. Once you have selected the correct guitar model then simply SAVE the patch on the X3L. Do this for every patch you want to use with the JTV.

What's more, if you then go back to using your V700 you will see that the X3L still remembers the settings you had for that. So you get both JTV and V700 settings stored with the X3L patch.

With the latest firmware on the X3L, you will see that you get a few extra input options for Tone 1 and Tone 2 on each patch.  You will now get Variax CH1 and Variax CH2 as extra input options along with just Variax.  If you leave it as Variax (which will be what it is set to from working with your V700) the you will get BOTH the MAGNETIC and the MODEL signals from the JTV. This can be a real problem if you are using an alternate tuning on one of the models or if you have engaged the alternate tuning knob to a different tuning because you will hear both the alternate tune sound PLUS the standard guitar string sounds from the magnetics.

So if you want to use a TONE with just MODEL sounds then set that input to Vx Ch1.  If you want to use it with just the mag pickups then set it to Vx Ch2.  NB: You must have the modelling mode switched on (model knob pushed down and illuminated) on the JTV to make use of the modelled sounds - you can't remotely switch on the modelling from the X3L - but once the modelling mode is on - then you can swap model patches remotely with the X3L.

With the JTV you can set up X3L patches that have the MAG sounds on TONE1 and the MODEL sounds on TONE2  (or vice versa) which enables a whole new world of sonic options for you. eg: blended acoustic and electric, blended out of phase strat and humbuckers etc.

This info is available within various threads on the forums but it's not that easy to find.  So at least it is all in one place in this thread.

Hope that helps and answers all your questions.

Cheers

Eddie

by flabergaster on 2011-10-20 15:08:37

Thanks Eddie,

One quick follow up. Do you have to run two cables to get the models and the mags with the seperate 1/4 inch cable pluged into the standard guitar input of the X3L, or are both somehow brought down the VDI Cable?

I appreciate your answer. I wish Line 6 would publish a document for those of us already entrenched in the world of Variax and Pod. The manual for the JTV available for download is pretty basic.

Peace,

Mark

RE: JTV and X3L Via VDI
by Line6Don on 2011-10-20 17:49:26

Hey flabergaster,

The JTV will give access to either the magnetic or the modeled pickups over the VDI connection. Within POD X3 Live input selections, you will be given the choice of Variax CH1 or CH2, CH1 being the magnetics and CH2 being the modeled.

by edstar1960 on 2011-10-21 01:21:48

Hi Mark,

The VDI cable provides you with both the CH1 (models) and CH2 (mag)  feeds from the JTV, so you only need the single VDI cable connected.  The VDI cable is the only way you can get both model and mags at once via a single lead.  The 1/4" jack will give you either MAGS or MODELs depending on whether you have turned on modelling by pressing the model knob.

If you also try connecting the 1/4" jack cable at the same time as the VDI you will probably experience a ground loop issue and a high pitched whine and maybe other extraneous noise. This is documented in various threads and was a reported problem with the Variax 700. I have just started a discussion thread on that very topic though as I have recently seen an official Line6 video with an official Line6 demonstrator (Paul Hindmarsh) where his JTV69 clearly has both the VDI and 1/4" jack connected and he has no ground loop or extraneous noise issues, so I have asked how has he accomplished that as I am sure many would like to know for the times they actually need to utilise both outputs at once. See http://line6.com/support/message/321711#321711

Hope that answers all your questions - let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

Eddie

Re: Using JTV Guitars with VDI Equipped PODs
by Zbluezman on 2011-10-29 14:54:30

You may want to try the JTV out with your setup before you buy. I've been using a 500 for about five years (Vetta II and recently HD500). Never had any problems with the 500. I've been using a JTV-69 with the HD500  (VDI) for the last month and there is a glitch. Occasionally the HD500 will flash to the Line 6 screen when I try to change presets (momentary silence then the original preset comes back on). I have discussion item up on the problem but so far no one has experienced the issue.  I've reset and rebooted and rebuilt my presets in the HD500 but the problem continues. It has not happened during a song (so far).

Z

by silverhead on 2011-11-03 09:01:16

Here is another thread that describes a little-known feature of VDI-controlled Variaxes.

http://line6.com/support/message/324005#324005

Beginning in post #3 of this thread, the significance of the 'f' vs. 'u' designation of selectable models from the controlling Pod is described. The thing to note is that a VDI-controlled Variax has a total of 110 (not 60) selectable models. Using the Variax itself, 60 models are available using the Model Selector knob and the pickup selector switch. Using the VDI-control, an additional 50 models (the original unaltered factory presets) are available.

by PeterHamm on 2012-01-25 06:08:13

It sounds like the JTVs need an "advanced user guide" to be written!

I have a question related.

I have a JTV59 incoming. I will use "both voices" extensively. Often with the mags as electric and the modeling as acoustic simultaneously through the POD HD 500. I know that they travel down the same pipe on the Variax Cable. My question is this... CAN I hook up both the 1/4" and the VDI (yes, I know it's a problem on the original variaxes) and have it set so that the mags are always coming out of the 1/4" and the modeling always through the VDI? I will experiment when I get the guitar (any day now it should be here...) but wondered if anybody already knew...

peter

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-25 06:17:29

You can have the mags always active if you use Variax Channel 2 with your POD HD500/HD Pro or X3 Live/X3 Pro over VDI.  You can also use the 1/4" out at the same time, but it will give you the mags OR the models - not both.  The mags/models switch on the guitar needs to be ON in VDI mode to allow the guitar to be controlled by the POD and when you turn on the modelling option on the guitar, that's what gets piped out of the 1/4" output too.

Nick

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-25 06:21:54

if using a pod HD500 both the mags and models will come from the VDI digitally, and you can route them down individual paths... no reason to involve the extra cabling.

by daferalo on 2012-01-25 06:32:32

Hi Nick, this can sound as a "dumb" question, but here is:

I have always thought that when you choose variax ch 1 as input source 1 in the POD HD 500 (please forget about input source 2 for the sake of this question), then you would get the model that you have programmed working on the guitar (if so). Otherwise, if you choose variax ch 2 as input source 1, then you would get the mag pickups working. Of course it would happen only if the JTV is connected through the VDI cable.

But when I power on the POD HD 500 with the JTV already connected into it and go to a patch that has been programmed to work with a certain guitar model, I only get the mag pickups working, up until I press the model control knob on the guitar and press again the foot knob to recall the patch.

Is it supposed to work like that way?

Best Regards,

Daf

by PeterHamm on 2012-01-25 06:38:16

I can think of gobs of reasons.

I will often use the acoustic models with "real electric" layered underneath, and using both cables will allow me to do that AND use some of my stomp boxes on the electric signal before it goes into the POD.

In fact, I'm going to hook it up that way immediately upon receiving my JTV 59, which should arrive in the next few days (so psyched)...

by daferalo on 2012-01-25 06:42:33

PeterHamm escribió:

I will often use the acoustic models with "real electric" layered underneath, and using both cables will allow me to do that AND use some of my stomp boxes on the electric signal before it goes into the POD.

Well, you could use the FX loop in the pod to do so and just place it at the first position in your "electric" signal path. Of course, this would mean to have available one FX block less

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-25 06:53:48

i'm pretty sure that it won't see it as a variax at all until you enable the modeling (turning it on!)

before that it just sees it as a dumb guitar using the variax input.

by daferalo on 2012-01-25 07:12:21

Hi TheRealZap,

I actually thought the opposite, for example if you have your input source 1 as variax ch 1, and your POD HD 500 is supposed to control the guitar, there should be no reason for the magnetic pickups to "feed" the signal chain with their output. That is what I understood from Line 6 user manuals. Or better, that is what I misunderstood!!!!

Thanks,

Daf

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-25 09:20:35

daferalo wrote:

Hi Nick, this can sound as a "dumb" question, but here is:

I have always thought that when you choose variax ch 1 as input source 1 in the POD HD 500 (please forget about input source 2 for the sake of this question), then you would get the model that you have programmed working on the guitar (if so). Otherwise, if you choose variax ch 2 as input source 1, then you would get the mag pickups working. Of course it would happen only if the JTV is connected through the VDI cable.

But when I power on the POD HD 500 with the JTV already connected into it and go to a patch that has been programmed to work with a certain guitar model, I only get the mag pickups working, up until I press the model control knob on the guitar and press again the foot knob to recall the patch.

Is it supposed to work like that way?

Best Regards,

Daf

Yes.  That's the way it works

by PeterHamm on 2012-01-27 04:19:40

Well, you could use the FX loop in the pod to do so and just place it at the first position in your "electric" signal path. Of course, this would mean to have available one FX block less

This is, in fact, what I'm going to experiment with today. This way, using only the VDI cable, I can have my regular two-voice guitars plugged in AND have my Variax plugged in at the same time.

This is FUN!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.