These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Ideas for the POD HD 1000
by hollis1003 on 2011-10-21 08:46:31

For those of us that have been asking for MORE, MORE, MORE of a good thing here is my very crude representation of what a POD HD 1000 should look like.

Features:

An additional chip for twice the processing power (no DPS limit issues)

4 additional footswiches with additional functioning for the way they can be arranged

One additional expression pedal

Controls for both Amp A & B at the same time

A larger display screen (probably even wider than what I have also)

A direct USP input so that a memory stick type device could be used (maybe to save loops)

Attachment for a cell phone (as memory storage or editing capability)

A Fav switch so that no matter where you are you can hit that switch and get your favorite preset automatically

Also included should be many of the upgrades others have suggested such as better/global EQ and the ability to run a direct out to PA while still running to an amp (a la the X3).

To me, this would fix 90% or more of the issues that people have been "complaining" about and also add the option of a $800-$1000 price range product that will compete (at least for some people) with the 11 Rack and Axe FX.

Opinions???????

Re: Ideas for the POD HD 1000
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-21 09:22:18

Looks good  - I always enjoy these speculative threads.

Don't forget Custom IR's for those that want this feature

...and the ability to individually program the foot switches so that FX switching can be done on the front row whist patch switching can be done on the back row.

But hang on - are you sure the diagram you've attached is for real????  I think someone might have crossed out HD500 and written HD1000 in in crayon instead- it's hard to spot though so I guess you'd have to look really closely at the drawing 

by Captain_Sensible on 2011-10-21 10:24:45

I would like each amp knob to have a little window showing its value.  More often than not, the indicator on those knobs doesn't match the actual current setting.  If you had a window showing a reading (e.g., 1, 2, etc.), then you could easily see what your value is currently and adjust on the fly.  Probably easier than having the knobs spin automatically into the right position like with the Fender Cybertwin.

by TheRealZap on 2011-10-21 10:43:44

what about a suggestion for a pod HD100 (notice the missing zero)

how about an m9/m5 sized box that only does amp models and no effects (other than maybe a gate and reverb)

this could also be an "M1" sort of modularizing the M and Pod series....

seems to be sort of headed in that direction if you agree

that vetta = pod+dt-x2

could throw the L6LINK in there for good measure...

by johnpicton on 2011-10-21 10:48:57

Power switch would be nice.

by nobilis on 2011-10-21 19:23:50

It does take getting used to just unplugging the thing.  Kind of like pulling the plug on a computer with out closing the programs and shutting down first.  Initially, I kept pausing before pulling the plug. That said, I now do it with reckless abandon.  Thanks Line 6. I am free!

by silverhead on 2011-10-21 19:31:34

I use a power bar with surge protection and an on/off switch. Unless you always and only use headphones, there is other equipment that you need to use along with the HD500 - active monitors, amp, computer, whatever. So plugging all the devices into the power bar gives you surge protection as well as a single switch to turn everything on/off at once.

by johnpicton on 2011-10-22 00:50:29

Oh I don't disagree a powerbar is a very good solution. But come on, how difficult would it have been to include one.

It would never have prevented my from getting the HD500, I don't intend getting rid of it because it doesn't have a power switch, I just think it would have been nice.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-22 03:03:01

TheRealZap wrote:

what about a suggestion for a pod HD100 (notice the missing zero)

how about an m9/m5 sized box that only does amp models and no effects (other than maybe a gate and reverb)

this could also be an "M1" sort of modularizing the M and Pod series....

seems to be sort of headed in that direction if you agree

that vetta = pod+dt-x2

could throw the L6LINK in there for good measure...

Part of me kind of likes that idea of a modular approach because you could mix and match whatever you like, but in one way it could be a retrograde step because we'd end up with lots of individual little boxes like the old days.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing as a lot of people including me sometimes like to work that way   But I like the idea of a POD HD100 amp only modeller. 

And on a similar theme, for those with Variax or JTV guitars maybe a V1 interface which would be a stand-alone VDI interface outputting the Variax Ch 1 and Ch2 signals by analogue outs as well as S/PDIF Out.

by TheRealZap on 2011-10-22 06:28:19

possibly... but i was thinking of the m9/m13 owner that doesn't want to spend for a pod... or even as a compliment to other brands of multifx.

having L6Link would propel any multifx unit to new levels... in the context of a DT amp anyway.

by hansvaneven on 2011-10-23 04:19:06

Ahh, speculations, well here goes :

- Global EQ

- 2x DSP

- better pitch FX (chorus, ...)

- more amps

- 2nd Xpression pedal would be cool too!

Cheers,

Hans

by bbenham on 2011-10-23 09:04:52

For ether a 100 or 1000 model: integrated wireless, g30 guts in the 100, g90 in the 1000.

Never hurts to dream. 

by hollis1003 on 2011-10-23 09:52:02

I think that's a great idea actually.  It seems dumb to convert your signal to digital, then back to analog only to go into a full digital processor again. 

It would also be cool if the Variax could be made to send to a wireless signal.  Like a two-way so that the POD could control the Variax wirelessly.

by bbenham on 2011-10-23 10:21:56

hollis1003 wrote:

It seems dumb to convert your signal to digital, then back to analog only to go into a full digital processor again.

It seems dumb to have to run more wires to go wireless period.  Especially when the same company makes both.  I know it would canabalize sales of the standalone wireless, but think of the competitive advantage it would provide.

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-10-27 01:53:24

I would add that:

- size like a Line 6 fBV long board (18 switch and two expression pedal with toe switch)

- More Dsp power

- up to 14 effects simultaneously

- XLR out with speaker emulation selectable

- digital spdif in and out

- 4 voice Harmonizer  with custom scale editor

- Arpeggiator Pitch

- Analog/step sequencer with parameter destination like NI Guitar Rig (Muse- Maps of problematique) 

- Crystallizer effect (see Fractal Audio Axe Fx or Psychedelay by NI Guitar Rig)

- Custom Wha (like Vetta)

- Custom Od/Ds (like Boss Gt)

- A larger display with 8 endless encoders

by hansvaneven on 2011-10-27 02:01:04

I completely agree!

by relayerjb on 2011-10-27 12:26:09
  1. The ability to save your own amp / fx defaults for favorite settings you have (and more than one per amp/effect, please!!).  Then you can recall them instantly to use in different patches.
  2. Ability to control the same effect from more than one footswitch.  For example, first switch turns on OD and delay for a solo...  then another switch to add Harmony.  Then a third switch to turn them all off.  Much more efficient than trying to tap multiple switches.
  3. More DSP so you can easily have 2 amps in a patch, like a Fender rhythm and a Plexi lead.
  4. Make Pre and Full part of the same amp, rather than completely separate.  Add a toggle to turn poweramp on/off, or when Master is at 0 it defeats the poweramp and you just have the Pre.  While you're at it, make the Nrm/Brt/Vib part of the same amp too, also controlled with a toggle.
  5. An easier way to control the preset's overall volume, especially live, so that it can be saved for the next time.  Having to navigate to the mixer and then set both Left and Right is not practical at a gig.  Adjusting the Master every time is redundant.  How about just making the Master Vol on the front panel storable per preset?
  6. Amp knob values display.  And the option to choose whether the knobs immediately jump to their current physical value or wait for you to turn them to the current setting before activating.
  7. Better footswitches.  The ones on the HD feel cheap.  I broke one within about a week of getting it, and it wasn't even on the floor...  just using my hand.  And I'm not exactly an MMA kind of guy ;-)
  8. Use real values for effects that have real numbers.  Using % for Q or a frequency is ridiculous. 

by MerlinFL on 2011-10-27 13:03:24

hollis1003 wrote:

For those of us that have been asking for MORE, MORE, MORE of a good thing here is my very crude representation of what a POD HD 1000 should look like.

Features:

4 additional footswiches with additional functioning for the way they can be arranged

A direct USP input so that a memory stick type device could be used (maybe to save loops)

A Fav switch so that no matter where you are you can hit that switch and get your favorite preset automatically

Also included should be many of the upgrades others have suggested such as better/global EQ and the ability to run a direct out to PA while still running to an amp (a la the X3).

To me, this would fix 90% or more of the issues that people have been "complaining" about and also add the option of a $800-$1000 price range product that will compete (at least for some people) with the 11 Rack and Axe FX.

Opinions???????

I agree with most of your thoughts and suggestions for the next gen POD HD.  However, I have all that now with my Vetta or  POD X3 PRO.  I always thought that new and improved should be exactly that...new and improved.  Not going backwards for reasons (excuses) such as not enough DSP to power all the FX available, cheaper, and less functional foot pedal.

Seriously, what ever happened to having the pedalboard powered by the amp instead of having to find A/C power at the front of the performance area with any of the POD HD pedals.  If the 3-pin DMX L6 iLink connection can transfer all the data bidirectional, why not make it supply the power as well??  If that means adding one or more pins in the cable, then so be it.  Also, I've had to hardwire the power cord to the A/C input connector since the barrel connector is so cheaply made that it broke off after only the first couple of weeks owning it.

This can be nothing more than just Line 6 cutting corners in making this very important connections cheaper than they did previously.  No protective corners on any of the DT series amps.  No pop-out casters like many of the previous combo amps have and all of the cabinets still come with.  Thicker tolex covering like on previous Line 6 amps, instead of the thinnest/cheapest tolex Line 6 could find for the new "flagship" series of amps.  A better power supply design above and beyond the short, cheaply constructed cable and barrel connector.  If it's impossible or unwanted by the design team and Line 6 to have an internal transformer unit, then use sturdier plugs, to piece power supply with a typical plug at the end of the cord.  Every other brand of gear similar to this pedal I have use this method for power.  Why shouldn't Line 6?  And again - why not have the iLink send power to the POD HD unit for those who want or have both pieces of gear??

We can only hope for the best,

Neal

And in conclusion - I must not be the only person who thinks like this since most of the posts from the consumers of this thread are all saying most of the same things as I just did.  I can only hope that line 6 reads these posts and takes the "Average Joe" seriously, instead of only listening to the opinions of "famous musicians" who NEVER have to worry about breakage, or durability.  Some don't even do their own programming - and it seems those are the people that Line 6 R&D as well as the design people take seriously.  Exactly how many units do those famous people buy compared to us "Average Joe" type people??

by MerlinFL on 2011-10-27 13:08:06

relayerjb wrote:

1. The ability to save your own amp / fx defaults for favorite settings you have (and more than one per amp/effect, please!!).  Then you can recall them instantly to use in different patches.
  2. Ability to control the same effect from more than one footswitch.  For example, first switch turns on OD and delay for a solo...  then another switch to add Harmony.  Then a third switch to turn them all off.  Much more efficient than trying to tap multiple switches.
  3. More DSP so you can easily have 2 amps in a patch, like a Fender rhythm and a Plexi lead.
  4. Make Pre and Full part of the same amp, rather than completely separate.  Add a toggle to turn poweramp on/off, or when Master is at 0 it defeats the poweramp and you just have the Pre.  While you're at it, make the Nrm/Brt/Vib part of the same amp too, also controlled with a toggle.
  5. An easier way to control the preset's overall volume, especially live, so that it can be saved for the next time.  Having to navigate to the mixer and then set both Left and Right is not practical at a gig.  Adjusting the Master every time is redundant.  How about just making the Master Vol on the front panel storable per preset?
  6. Amp knob values display.  And the option to choose whether the knobs immediately jump to their current physical value or wait for you to turn them to the current setting before activating.
  7. Better footswitches.  The ones on the HD feel cheap.  I broke one within about a week of getting it, and it wasn't even on the floor...  just using my hand.  And I'm not exactly an MMA kind of guy ;-)
  8. Use real values for effects that have real numbers.  Using % for Q or a frequency is ridiculous.

Only discussing remark #1...

You have all the buttons to turn ON these FX, but you want a button to turn them all off at the same time.  That button already exists on every piece of Line 6 gear I've ever owned from Vettas to POD HD500.  It's called stepping on the original preset button again which RESETS the patch back to how it started.  THAT will do what you're asking for without putting a new button on the board.  Never tried that or knew that before?

I hope this solves this one problem for you and anyone else might not be aware of this simple solution to your #1 remark,

Neal

by relayerjb on 2011-10-27 17:38:46

Thanks for your reply Neal.  I do know about your method and tried it but there are two problems for me...

One is, I prefer to use FS 5-8 for effects instead of presets.

Second is, I would lose reverb and delay trails because it reloads the patch.

And third that I just thought of would be, what if I wanted to go back to a configuration that wasn't the original?  In the example I gave your idea would work.  But in other songs I want to go back to the bridge of a song that isn't the same as the original (beginning) sound.

Regardless, hopefully this will help some other people on here.

ps.  You made some very good points in your other email about power supply, cheap construction, etc.  Although I don't know that Line 6 is listening to that many pros.  To me, professionals would be the *most* concerned about reliability, whether they tour or are studio musicians, they have to have products that work, all the time.  I see it the other way around -- Line 6 is mostly selling to "average Joes" so they think they can just get away with cutting corners.  And from their viewpoint, it works, because they sell lots of units.

by Rowbi on 2011-10-28 03:15:18

hollis1003 wrote:

Features:

Opinions???????

na I'd be for the POD HD2000! it would be able to have 4 amp models each out do a different DT25/50...  and it'd have 3 exp pedals... vol, wah and another one for tweak :-)

get in!

by TheRealZap on 2011-10-28 05:25:37

double DSP chips would still not be without limits.... just FYI... its ok to dream but unless you are looking for droids on tatooine.... i suggest you keep them based in reality.

alot of the extra switches/knobs etc would just make it big and clumsy...

i'd rather have an expansion floorboard with no screen that can be added for those extra bits...

that way the features would be available to those that want and are willing to pay for them.

plenty of good ideas in here though....

by Rowbi on 2011-10-28 06:03:28

lol, how about quad DSP's... or a modular system... you get a dual DSP and can plugin another dual DSP offload if you want more power?  some network devices already do this... liike Cisco ISRs (voice enabled routers) which use DSP to process audio call codecs... they have DSP resources and I think you can upgrade them with DSP add on cards..

of course we're just dreaming though... HD2000... lol.  that'll be the day... the whole HD series is only a year old!

by greghall on 2011-10-28 06:21:36

HD500 + HD500 = HD1000

Buy 2 HD500's and plug one into the effects loop of the other - voila! Double DSP, two expression pedals and lots more buttons!

:-)

<humour />

by relayerjb on 2011-10-28 12:10:22

That'd be great if you could completely control the 2nd one via midi from the first one...  I considered getting an HD500 and a Pro rather than 2 500's for this purpose.  Maybe someday if they implement full midi control. 

by gregr on 2011-10-28 13:25:34

I think you'd be better off using the HD500 to control a different device like an 11R or a GSP1101.

by relayerjb on 2011-10-28 16:41:08

No doubt ;-)   And in fact, the HD/11R pairing is something I'm considering.  Not sure how the midi implementation would work but it could be a good solution.  I could look at it like having all the HD amps plus Mark II, Soldano, Matchless, and bass amps; or like having the 11R plus the wider array of fx that the HD has.  Maybe there's a way to get them to breed and create an offspring w/ the best of both  ;-)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.