These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

line 6 pod hd300 and spider 4 15w amp
by hamza4best on 2011-10-23 03:24:27

Hi

i am thinking of getting a pod hd300 but i recently bought the spider 4 15w amp and after researching the pod i discovered that the amps like spider which have amp modelling don't work well with the pod.What i wanted to ask is that how does the pod sound through the spider if i only use the spider as a speaker by disabling the amp modelling.I know there are other threads about it in which they advice to push the tap button while you switch on the amp so it would disable the amp modelling but no one ever told how it sounds through the amp after doing it.And also i'm a huge muse fan andi like playing their songs so how is the pod for playing muse songs.Does the whammy have all the features availalbe in digitech whammy 4 like fx chorus,harmonizer? and i checked the website and it was written pod 300 has midi through usb.So if there is anyone who knows about achieving the  map of the problematique effect by writing a midi program in cubase and letting it control the whammy is it possible to do it in pod hd300?

thanks

Re: RE: line 6 pod hd300 and spider 4 15w amp
by Kneehow on 2011-10-25 09:49:41

This is true. Both the Spider IV line of amplification and the POD HD devices utilize digital amp and effect modelling technology.

Running a guitar signal through a POD HD300 and then outputting it into another modelling device may yield less than desired tonal results as the intention was to have the HD300 either go straight into a mixing console via the XLR DI or run the 1/4" outputs into a clean power amp (no digital modelling preamp section) and cabinet for amplification.

There should be an mp3/CD input jack on your Spider IV 15. This is the closest to that scenario (bypassing the digital modelling, but utilizing the amp's power section and speaker).

The Pitch Glide is modelled after the original Whammy pedal from the 80's/90's. The newer effects available on the Whammy 4 are not a part of that particular algorithm, no. You could simulate something similar in the Modulation effect models of the HD300.

by hamza4best on 2011-10-26 07:20:01

won't it work if i press the tap button while switching on the amp? won't it disab;e the amp modeling?

are you referring to the seeker effect which pod has?

but still pod hd 300 has midi so why can't it be used with daw softwares?

by MGblade on 2011-10-26 23:51:32

The" holding tap and powerup" method works on my spider 2, 112, it bypasses all the modeling and effects in the amp. i don,t know if this works on the spider 4 models.

grts Marcel

by hamza4best on 2011-10-27 04:24:57

well it works on mine to but how good sound do you get?

by MGblade on 2011-10-27 08:14:37

i can get some good sounds out of it, not as good as with my marshall 9100 tube power amp with 212 cab, but very decent. especialy the clean fender tones, my mesa presets sounds very good too.

but i think it's not comparable to you're spider4 15, witch has a 10" speaker??

so i don't know how it will sound on you're amp.

maybe take it to the musicstore and try it out with a pod?

grts Marcel

RE: line 6 pod hd300 and spider 4 15w amp
by Line6Don on 2011-11-02 11:33:49

Hey hamza4best,

As many of the users do, you may disable amp modeling by putting the amp into test mode by pressing and holding tap as you power the amp on. Keep in mind, the onboard amp controls including volume will be disabled, so the amp will run close to full volume.

You mentioned the chorus/detune effect of the whammy, Perry was referencing the chorus effects located in the modulation section on the POD HD300. The POD HD300 also features the smart harmony effect which can reproduce the harmonizer modes of the whammy.

As for the MIDI, when adjusting most POD HD controls, MIDI CC messages are sent to the POD HD USB MIDI Out port, Channel 1. It is possible to utilize the USB MIDI port to route this MIDI data to MIDI or DAW applications if desired. Further, many POD HD parameters can also be controlled remotely by receiving MIDI control messages on its USB MIDI In port, Channel 1.

by hamza4best on 2011-11-03 03:56:36

ok but will i get a good sound through the amp by disabling the amp modelling? and this means i can control the whammy of the pod by sending midi commands?

by hamza4best on 2011-11-11 02:36:02

anyone?

by SSstormtrooper on 2011-11-11 03:19:41

Truthfully I wouldn't waste my time buying the spider iv 15 watt if you already have an HD300.The little amp is made for bedroom practice or small band practice type scenarios.It will never really sound all that good no matter what.

You would be much better off buying a used real tube amp that has a minimum of 2x10's.They can be heavy but are well worth it.Also you could look at buying a seperate power amp/speaker cabinet combination which also would produce killer sound.

It's all about moving air really.It's like comparing the roar of an elephant to the squeak of a mouse.I own the Spider iv 15 watt and SpiderValve mkii HD100 so I'm familiar with their capabilites.To me the speaker in the Spider iv 15 watt is comparable to what you'd get in a 10 dollar flea-market transistor radio,seriously.

Some solid state amps are okay like the Roland JC120 or JC60.It all depends on what you want to spend and if you care about buying new or used but you need some power and larger speakers to get you a good sound.Tube amps are heavy and need some maintenance once in awhile but are the best bar none.

EDIT: Sorry I hadn't seen that you already own the spider iv.Same still applies lol,keep the little amp for quick turn on solid state practice but you'll need a bigger/better amp at some point if you want really good sound.

by hamza4best on 2011-11-11 06:37:27

but the sound would be ok or would it be really bad?

by SSstormtrooper on 2011-11-11 10:01:48

Well it should sound basically as good as the sound you're getting out of your amp now.It will sound good at bedroom volumes and such but not at gig or full band jam levels.Then again if your friends/band has a P.A. you can hook your amp to it or your HD 300 or both if you wanted so I wouldn't be disuaded by me into not buying the HD300.I'm just saying the HD300 will sound a heck of a lot better through a big amp or P.A.

One other thing is you can always hook up the HD300 to good quality computer/stereo monitors or a good home theater system as well if you don't plan on buying any other amps right away.

by hamza4best on 2011-11-13 08:47:52

can its midi be used to control the whammy by sending commands from a daw software.And is its midi limited as compared to pod hd500?.Any idea will i'll be able to get the map of problematique effect by muse effect?

by SSstormtrooper on 2011-11-13 15:43:53

Sorry mate I'm not really into the whole midi thing.I tried it once hooking an old Digitech RP1 into my SpiderValve HD100 Mkii and it didn't read it and I set it on the same channel and such but it still didn't do anything so I said screw it.I just like to play guitar lol.Maybe someone else can help you with that one.Cheers

by jimsreynolds on 2011-11-14 00:14:31

The HD's do not respond to incoming Midi CC messages currently so 'no' you cannot automate your wah effect.

There is significant outcry on the forum for a more capable MIDI implementation and there is a strong possibility that Line 6 may remedy this in later firmware - for the HD Pro at least.  Whether this makes its way down to the HD300 remains to be seen.

by hamza4best on 2011-11-25 00:05:33

I have a deck and it has a microphone input similar to the one found on the amp so can i connect pod to that so i can use my deck's speakers?

by hamza4best on 2011-11-25 00:06:43

is it the same case with pod hd500 too? I've heard people did do the midi thing for controlling whammy with pod xt live so why can't hd series do it?

by SSstormtrooper on 2011-11-25 01:23:36

I'm not a rocket scientist but it might help myself and or others to help out if you told us what kind of "deck" it is and what kind of speakers are hooked up to it,and what kind of ins and outs this "deck" has.I'm not being snarky I'm just saying I don't have a crystal ball so I have no idea what you are talking about.

If it is a decent home theater system and you buy an HD500 you could hook the HD500 straight into a coaxial digital input from the spdif out on the pod floor processor into your home stereo.The HD 300 and 400 don't have a spdif out but there are many other ways to hook things up so that's why I/we need to know your specific gear.

by hamza4best on 2011-11-25 08:46:06

here its manual

http://www.manualsmania.com/download.php?link=43a554667ce43c975f29a5d575ac71df4a49136

Ireally don't know about the ins and out so you can see the manual for that

by SSstormtrooper on 2011-11-25 10:25:52

Okay thanks.Yes you can hook up to it.You will need a 1/8" to two male RCA jack(plug) cord.They sell them at walmart and most other stores where electronics are sold.You might need a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter plug as well.Each item should run around approximately 5 dollars but you'll try to want to find the longest cord possible for convenience.

You run the cord from the HD POD headphone out into the (phono)rca jacks in.That's all you need to do,then select the proper output on your stereo.It is what it is but will work and sound okay at lower volumes(aka it isn't a guitar amp) Good luck.

by hamza4best on 2011-11-26 04:54:31

so i guess i'll be better off using the pod with my amp no?

by hamza4best on 2011-11-30 01:17:56

?

by SSstormtrooper on 2011-11-30 01:34:09

yes

by jimsreynolds on 2011-11-30 02:41:22

Since I first posted this, version 1.40 of the software has been released for the HD Bean/HD500/HD Pro and that includes a Midi CC implementation. 

Now you can send MIDI messages to these devices to change controller settings. 

by hamza4best on 2012-01-15 08:23:21

so i've a friend i tried out his effect pedal vamp 3 with my spider 4 and it was sounding awful even though i put the ap in neutral state and all the effects were off..so why is that.I mean he has a 8 watt amp which sounds even worse than mine but he doesn't have amp modelling but shouldn't it sound fine when i put the spider in neutral state?

can some one please help me out here my brother got a pod hd500 for me he lives in another  country so he'll be coming in march but is there a way to get good sound atleast for bedroom practice from spider with pod hd500?

by SSstormtrooper on 2012-01-16 14:41:40

Okay dude I'm going to be blunt here.The Spider iv 15 watt is a toy,a small cheesy jack of all trades digital solid state transistor radio with some snazzy computer generated effects built in.It is what it is,a tiny practice amp,with a super cheap speaker and weak power handling capabilities.

Putting it in a neutral state still doesn't mean much,it's like putting perfume on a pig.

You want something in a similar size but costs a bit more but sounds great  go buy a Blackstar HT5-R.It has a way better speaker,built in effects loop,Emulated output,Jacks for an external cab,pad switch to adjust line levels to accept fx pedalboards or pedals -10db or +4db.It is tube driven a cranks damn loud(for a bedroom/practice amp).

Or go bigger,buy a Blackstar Studio20 or Club40 etc.Or a Line 6 DT50 or SpiderValve Mkii 112 or 212 that have Celestion Vintage30's inside.You get what you pay for and a Spider iv 15 watt will always be a toy.I know, I bought one when I was working out of town to play in the hotel.

I thought we had a discussion before about playing through a bookshelf stereo system.That is what it is also.I have a very high end home theatre system and sometimes I plug my Boss GT-10 into it via the s/pdif out and it sounds awesome.

Likewise your HD500 would sound great through a killer stereo also,because it is FR/FR(Full range/Flat response).Meaning that the speakers have a tweeter and hit all the highs and lows and such and don't have a pre-amp similar to a guitar amp ergo the flat response part of the equation.Some dudes run their GT-10's or HD500's into keyboard amps and really like the results.

I plug my different multi-effects boards into an array of different amps(Line 6,Blackstar,Ampeg,Mesa-Boogie...all tube amps BTW) and they all sound awesome.The Spider iv 15 watt will never sound good with external devices no matter what you do,it's reality.

by hamza4best on 2012-01-19 09:13:08

ok how about just using it with headphones? is the akg k44 or audiotechnica m20 or m30 good headphones for the pod because i've read on the forum that even headphones like m50 doesn't sound good with the pod hd500

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.