These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DT50 Head into DT25 Cab or vice versa...
by shawngs on 2011-10-23 15:37:39

HELP!!!

I am looking at purchasing a DT25 or DT50 head and the DT25 cab. I love the portability of the DT25 but I do wonder if it is enough for larger venues (I play in a decent sized church). I want to make sure I have great tone and coverage in the church but I also only play about once per month their so the majority of my playing is in my bedroom. Could I either buy the DT25 head and use it on both the DT25 cab at home and the 4x12 that they have at the church, or buy the DT50 head and use it on the DT25 cab at home and the 4x12 at the church?

I don't want to risk blowing the DT25 cab with the DT50 head, and I also dont want to risk underpowering the 4x12 with the DT25 Head. Either way, I wont be purchasing a 4x12 cab (DT50 cab) but I will be buying one head or the other.....

I've never owned a tube amp before and have always just used Line 6 Pods for tone. I currently have the HD and the M13 and love their products!

Thanks guys (and gals),

Shawn

Re: DT50 Head into DT25 Cab or vice versa...
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-10-24 01:52:22

Hi Shawn

I got my DT-25 head and matching 1x12 cab just over a week ago.  I have had chance to try the DT-25 to some extent with my band in rehearsal (it's a classic rock band so can be pretty loud).  I was slightly concerned it wouldn't be loud enough, but I think it will certainly be fine for rehearsal as it seems to have plenty of grunt for a little'un.  I could see the DT-25 struggling in certain situations without reinforcement though. 

In larger venues I would put the amp through the PA anyway for added reinforcement.   I am considering a second DT-25 and 1x12 cab when funds allow so that I can be certain of getting enough level if there isn't a PA option (I own a decent sized PA anyway, but I don't want to have to drag it all out for every gig and would prefer to just have a decent vocal PA and do the rest from the back line for most smaller venues) and also so that I can make proper use of the dual amp thing with a POD HD500 or HD Pro using L6 Link (I have a DT-50 212 as well and I can use L6 Link but it can be a little bit of a mis-match volume wise between the two so I have to take care with the Master Volume setting on the DT-50)

If your church has a decent PA system that they normally use to mic up instruments, then the the DT-25's Direct Out gives a great tone for DI straight into a mic channel on the mixing desk.

The DT-50 112 amp uses a Celestion G12H90 90w speaker and this is the same speaker as is in the DT-25 1x12 extension speaker cab, so given that the speaker is capable of taking 90w I don't think there'd be any imminent danger of blowing the speaker if you wanted to use it with a  DT-50 head which is effectively the same amp as in the DT-112 combo .

The DT-50 is more difficult to tame for a home/bedroom level environment than the DT-25 I have to say.

The POD HD (desktop) will work fine with the DT-25 or DT-50 but you don't have L6-Link so you'd simply use the POD HD's 1/4" out direct to the Power Amp In socket on the DT-25/50 head.

A tube amp will always seem to be louder than a solid state amp of the same wattage   and this is to some extent down to the differences between valve and transistor power amp technology which i'm not going to go into here.

Bottom line; The DT-25 is a pretty loud amp for its power rating.  The DT-25 is not as immediately loud as the DT-50 can be and so is likely to be somewhat more easily controllable at home.  The DT-25 in my opinion is better suited for home use and small venue use, but might struggle in certain types of band and venue environment without reinforcement from the PA.  The DT-25 will power a 4x12 (I have a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers and it doesn't sound at all under-powered) perfectly well.  I know someone else who uses his DT-25 head with a Line 6 4x12 cab and he reckons he gets a killer tone from it.

HTH

Nick

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.