These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Does Variax power thru a TRS harm regular guitars?
by mashgear on 2011-10-24 10:55:27

I power my Variax 500 thru an XPS-mini mounted on my pedal board and a TRS cable. Whether I'm gigging, jamming, or practicing, I'll invariably have some other guitar that I want to switch to at some point. What I normally do is just unplug the TRS cable from my Variax and plug it into whatever--maybe a Strat, Telie, Gretsch, or Les Paul (I know, I could just switch to the emulated model, but sometimes I need the real guitar. e.g. no whammy on my Variax). Will the 9VDC coming through the XPS-mini/TRS damage anything in a non-Variax guitar? Or does that impact my sound in any way? Should I switch to a standard cable (non-TRS)? Or doesn't make a difference? Thanks. --Alan

Re: Does Variax power thru a TRS harm regular guitars?
by BigChas52 on 2011-10-24 11:24:26

It shouldn't bother any guitar that has passive pickups.  I might be careful with any instrument that has active (battery powered) pickups, but I'm not totally sure that there's even a problem with that.

by amx05462 on 2011-10-24 14:17:45

i dont see where there  would be a problem   accept  in a stereo rickenbacker.  the normal guitar plug  shouldnt  complete the circut.  a stereo  guitar like the  ric  will complete the circut.  and you  may get some  noise  from that.

by JellyWheat on 2011-10-24 14:48:11

(8>*}... AND, not only that, Eminence, but the current flowing through the pickup on the Ric would theoretically create an electromagnet S-o-o-o-o-o-o STRONG THAT IT WOULD LITERALLY SUCK THE STRINGS INTO THE GUITAR BODY thus creating the sitar-like sounds popularized by John Lennon in "Strawberry Fields" (a little-known factoid!).

[The Great, All-Knowing-One is so tough of mind and body that - when suffering from sinus infections, which afflict him frequently if he spends too much time on the mountain top - he inserts two TRS jacks into his nostrils and plugs them into two XPS A/B boxes. He grounds himself to his bed of nails, and "rides it out" for the night until the resident bacteria succumb to the effects of the current! This is why mere mortals like us say "Uhnnnng-GAH!" when making supplications to his Excellency!]

FYI

J/W

by amx05462 on 2011-10-24 14:52:15

lol    good  evening  oh wise  one   ..

by JellyWheat on 2011-10-24 14:54:27

(((8>D}}}... Good evening to you, Eminence!

J/W

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.