These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

ON/OFF TOGGLE SWITCH POD HD
by broadfca on 2011-10-28 03:35:44

Ok.... I have a stupid question. I just received my New Pod HD 400 and I am dumb founded as to why there is NO on/off switch on these things. In all my 60 years on this planet this is without a doubt the most baffeling thing I have ever seen.

Plug it in to power up and unplug it to power off ????? What where they thinking ???

Can anyone help me to understand the logic behind this ?

Thanks to all

Re: ON/OFF TOGGLE SWITCH POD HD
by Rowbi on 2011-10-28 03:43:56

the logic is that you'd turn off the switch on the wall socket to turn it off.  I beta tested the HD400 before it was first released, and some of us did ask that, although we were brought in to test after the hardware was already finished... we just tested the software...

Is it really such a big deal though?  I know it would be nice to have, but seriously, it's not a big problem.... is it?

that said, after all the people qho asked this, I'm certain that next time there's a new POD hardware released in the future, they will likely all have power switches :-)

Cheers

Rowbi

by phil_m on 2011-10-28 06:37:22

If this is most baffling thing you've seen in 60 years, you need more challenges in your life...

Seriously, though, I imagine it was a matter of cost and/or space on the unit, or a number of factors. It's not the end of the world.

by silverhead on 2011-10-28 06:51:52

Yeah - I wish there was a power switch too. But really, unless you exclusively use headphones you are using the HD with at least one other electronic device that also needs power. And all electronic devices benefit from power surge protection. So my solution? A surge protected power bar with an on/off switch. I plug everything I use with the HD into the power bar and voila - all protected, and all switched on/off together.

by TheRealZap on 2011-10-28 07:16:04

don't say i never gave you nuttin'

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F7C016q-Conserve-Power-Switch/dp/B005MYN3OO/ref=sr_1_78?ie=UTF8&qid=1319811316&sr=8-78

by duey101 on 2011-10-28 10:02:50

I agree with you 100% broadfca, it is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen, an electronic device with no power switch.  It's the same thing as making an iPhone and the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery, or laptop with the same idea.  Try and defend it any way you want, but this is one of the lamest things I have ever seen.  As I look around my house, everything has an on/off switch, coffee maker, lamps, blender, stereo, laptop, TV, DVD player, AC unit, porch light... but not my HD 500.

by max_vie on 2011-10-31 07:56:23

Duey schrieb:

I agree with you 100% broadfca, it is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen, an electronic device with no power switch.  It's the same thing as making an iPhone and the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery, or laptop with the same idea.  Try and defend it any way you want, but this is one of the lamest things I have ever seen.  As I look around my house, everything has an on/off switch, coffee maker, lamps, blender, stereo, laptop, TV, DVD player, AC unit, porch light... but not my HD 500.

Add me to the list - 100% agree!

by Rowbi on 2011-10-31 09:25:38

TheRealZap wrote:

don't say i never gave you nuttin'

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F7C016q-Conserve-Power-Switch/dp/B005MYN3OO/ref=sr_1_78?ie=UTF8&qid=1319811316&sr=8-78

ah,now that starts to make more sense... here in the UK just about all wall sockets have switches already built in.  maybe that's why I don't really see this as a problem...

but I did make this little video a while ago for anyone who really must have a switch.  it cost around £5 and took 30 minutes to make: http://rowbinet.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/line-6-pod-hd300-hd400-hd500-power-switch-mod/

class="mcePaste" id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px;">

by cGil on 2011-10-31 10:49:04

No offense intended, but your DC switch isn't very "green" in that it leave the wall wart sucking power from the grid like the little vampire it is when it's not powering up the HD's.   Insignificant blood loss for the power grid?  Perhaps, but only from the user's perspective.  However, try to keep in mind that every little vampire wall wart on the grid does add up to genuinely significant wasted grid power for absolutely no purpose when they're not actually being used!   

I would highly recommend Zap's option instead.  The basic cost is similar, but there would be no inexpensive mods required to add to the expense.  And no more power sucking when you don't need it!

Gil...

by spaceatl on 2011-10-31 11:03:27

I thought the new DC supply was a switching type? If it is, then it doesn't leech...only tranformer types do that from what I recall...

by cGil on 2011-10-31 11:21:52

Only way to know for sure (shy of an in-line meter) is to open it up and risk the warranty for the sake of curiosity.  And I certainly would not recommend doing that! 

I can only hope you're right, but I'd still have my doubts about zero current draw.   One filter capacitor on the supply side, and it'll still be a vampire due to inherent leakage that all caps naturally exhibit.

Gil...

by phil_m on 2011-10-31 11:41:49

Definitely switching - hence the fact that it's universal, so there shouldn't really be any current leakage.

I understand the whole idea of vampire current and all, but these little DC adapters draw practically nothing compared to computers and LCD TVs. Seriously, even if you leave the little thing plugged in all the time with nothing attached to it, it's like an extra 1.2 kWH per year. Which at the average electric rate of $0.09 a kWh would be a little more than a dime.

by Rowbi on 2011-11-01 01:59:19

cGil wrote:

Only way to know for sure (shy of an in-line meter) is to open it up and risk the warranty for the sake of curiosity.  And I certainly would not recommend doing that! 

I can only hope you're right, but I'd still have my doubts about zero current draw.   One filter capacitor on the supply side, and it'll still be a vampire due to inherent leakage that all caps naturally exhibit.

Gil...

a good thought Gil, but the others are right... switched mode PSU for sure..

But even if it does draw a little (or a lot of power), the people who are asking for a power switch on their PODs would be doing the same thing anyway... i.e. turning the POD off but leaving the wall wart plugged in.  So perhaps we should be educating all those people who leave all their wallwarts turned on (switched mode or not) to be a little greener...  I'm green enough as I hate wasting money on electricity when I could be spending it on gear :-)

All told, I was simply showing that with a bit of loose change, and a little time, those who really MUST have a switch near their PODs can make one easily...

In reality I don't use it, but I do have it in my POD case, as occasionally I need a longer extension to reach the wall socket and it serves well as that.

Cheers

Rowbi

by kpz1 on 2011-11-01 03:22:46

Duey schrieb:

Try and defend it any way you want, but this is one of the lamest things I have ever seen.  As I look around my house, everything has an on/off switch, coffee maker, lamps, blender, stereo, laptop, TV, DVD player, AC unit, porch light... but not my HD 500.

but do they all have real power off switches? for example, my HD TV, DVD player, bluray player, etc. only go in standbye/sleep mode when i "turn them off" (i'm using a multiple socket outlet with power-switch to completely turn them all off over night).

by cGil on 2011-11-01 08:16:58

Funny ain't it?  All these new "Energy Star" appliances lead us to imagine they'll help us go green, but that doesn't mean they're not still doing their vampire thing. 

On the flip side, I figured out late last night that it'll cost me a whopping $7 to $15 bucks PER YEAR to recharge electric bike batteries every day, 365 days a year; depending upon what time of day or night I charge 'em up.  So, as power vampires, in a lot of ways we're not exactly being what I would consider very thirsty vampires.  

If only LiFePo4 lithium batteries and PV solar cells (still rediculously inefficient @18 to 19%) weren't both so INSANELY and prohibitively expensive.   

Gil...

RE: ON/OFF TOGGLE SWITCH POD HD
by Line6Don on 2011-11-01 09:21:04

Hey broadfca,

I would suggest that you submit your feedback to our directly to our developers using the link below:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

RE: ON/OFF TOGGLE SWITCH POD HD
by Line6Don on 2011-11-04 09:23:05

Hey broadfca,

It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you feel your question(s) have not been answered, or, if you have further questions, please feel free to re-open a support thread within our support community and we will answer your questions accordingly.

Thanks!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.