These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Line 6 Lounge

Rocksmith - Guitar teaching game for Xbox/ PS3
by stumpsout on 2011-10-29 21:44:45

What are your thoughts?

Experiences with it?

Any guitar teachers shaking in their boots?

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/

Re: Rocksmith - Guitar teaching game for Xbox/ PS3
by Slingy on 2011-10-29 22:42:39

It looks like a great idea, way better than guitar hero which teaches you nothing. Does anyone know who is doing the modelling for it?

by spaceatl on 2011-10-30 08:59:28

I love the idea...

I just bought my son an Ibanez Mikro. Personally, I do NOT subscribe to the "learn acoustic first" concept...I think it leads to frustration as most starter accoustics are peices of crap...

Anyway, I am teaching him basics...He is 10 years old and asked me to give him lessons...

This Rocksmith looks to be a fantasic idea...I am interested in playing it too...I am sure we will learn a lot if we dive into it...Not sure when we will dive into it as we don't have an Xbox or PS3...So it might have to wait...

by stumpsout on 2011-10-30 19:49:19

Not sure who did the modelling, but IMO it felt and sounded excellent for the 'soundcheck' thing I tried on it. Been a busy weekend so hopefully get some time on it this week

by Tmidiman on 2011-10-31 19:28:35

The sound had lag due to processing through the 360 and HDTV. I wasn't able to adjust the difficulty past playing one note, but I'm not seeing this replacing a good teacher and good constructive feedback. You can't get tips on hand positions and scale visualization.

The sound/tone was pretty good. Crunchy with good sustain on "Sunshine Your Love".

Overall I see this as maybe being overpriced set of jam tracks, but with the right number of tune it could be interesting for folks who have no other options.

4/10

by stumpsout on 2011-11-06 16:37:26

No doubt, i know some guitar teachers that were worried about thier jobs...but if they are any good their jobs are safe.

I have no noticeable latency at all..the HDMI causes that. It has it's uses I think..my little girl learned Satisfaction and some of the concepts of playing, so that can't be all bad. Not like that Guitar Hero sillyness.

by krispurdy on 2011-11-06 17:59:38

I purchased it the day it was released and tried it on my old Fender Squire Strat.  I previously had the Rock Band Pro Guitar but it was hard to tell if my fingers were on the same string as all the buttons felt exactly the same so I never really played with it much.  Since playing it I have upgraded to a Ibanez RG2EX2 and a Line 6 Sipder IV 75 Amp with FBV Pedal.

With Rocksmith I was able to plug in and start playing songs right away.  Of course most were single notes but I quickly advanced up to playing chords.  Having very little experience as a beginner guitarist I felt like it was pretty cool.  And after having played every Guitar Hero and Rock Band game I guess it was time I learned the real thing.  There are lots of mini games that seemed fun to help you get used to moving around the fret board and changing notes.  Cool zombie game that gets you used to changing chords fast.

Over all I don't know alot about guitar but Rocksmith seems to be a very good step into introducing the video game generation into guitar.  The only complaint I had was the song lists.  A lot of them I have never heard of or are B-sides to popular artists.  But the songs I have played were fun to play and I grew to like them for the most part.  (There are also downloadable ones coming I think.)  But I take it for what it is.  Gutiar Hero and Rock Band introduced me to many many songs I would have never listened to on my own and I am thankful for them. 

For the moment I have paused playing the game and started working through http://www.justinguitar.com/index.phpto learn to actually play.  Once I started learning my chords I went back and started trying to learn the entire song of Can't Get No Satisfaction.  I was surprised how well I was doing till I nocited my index finger felt like a razor blade cutting through it from changing the chords so fast.  I looked down and my finger had turned purple and had a deep gouge in it.  So I am taking it easy now till I can get used to switching chords without using so much pressure. 

Overall I think it's a great supplement to real or online lessons.  The lessons help develop how to play and the game provides some great songs to play along with.

by krispurdy on 2011-11-06 18:04:03

Also I found that using HDMI for your video and component cables to a stereo system of some sort seems to eliminate the audio lag I hear some people mention. 

by stumpsout on 2011-11-06 18:28:13

Good to hear your view, Kris

Anything that makes a guy play until his fingers bleed can't be all bad

Heal up soon!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.