These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Amplifier Problem: HELP!
by TwoTwenty02 on 2011-10-31 12:34:23

Hey guys,

I've had my Spider IV 75W for a little over a year now. I've played nearly everyday. I jam with friends, make cover videos, use the record out features, etc. I've been very happy with it until recently.

THE PROBLEM:

For some odd reason, the low end sound coming from the amp now sounds awful. It's a chunky sound, and rather hard to explain. Sometimes it takes a second for the effect to set in, other times it's there from the second I turn it on. I can hear it on the high gain settings and when everything is completely clean. It still shows up through headphones and when I record out as well.

WHAT I'VE DONE:

As far as troubleshooting goes, I've tried using different guitars (to rule out it being my guitar . I even replaced the batteries in my pick ups), I've used a new cable, I've reset the amp according to an online procedures guide from this website, and I've used my gear on an identical amp from a store.

I want to think it's a speaker problem, but I can't be for sure. I don't know how to rule out software and other harware problems. A little help identifying the problem would be appreciated. Also, suggestions as to where to go with it, anything else to try, potential costs of repair, etc. would be nice.

Any other information you need to know, please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

TwoTwenty02

Re: Amplifier Problem: HELP!
by fflbrgst on 2011-11-01 05:52:30

Well it's not a speaker problem if it happens with the headphone/DI output, too!  Unfortunately, if you've had the unit for over 12 months it is no longer in warranty.

From your description, it sounds like it might be an amp problem.  You can see if it is pre-amp or amp-related by starting the amp in test mode, but that won't help you unless you can do the repair yourself.

You could post a sound file of the problem sound so others would have a better idea of this 'chunky' sound you are describing.

Best bet is probably bringing it to a service center:  http://line6.com/service_centers/

class="mcePaste" id="_mcePaste" style="left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px;">

RE: Amplifier Problem: HELP!
by Line6david on 2011-11-01 15:13:58

Hi,

+1 I would like to hear the issue as well. It is possible that it could be a service center repair from the description.

Have you tried updating the amp?

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2081

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by TwoTwenty02 on 2011-11-01 20:03:45

Thanks guys! I hope amp and pre-amp problems are not too costly to repair. Luckily, I'm rather confortable with doing repairs myself, as long as I have an example to follow. Otherwise, the nearest service center is about 30 miles from my house, and more from the University I'm at.

As far as sound examples go, I actually just got to school and left my amp at home. It'll be a few weeks until I can get back to it, but I'll post them as soon as I can. I'm not sure how easy it will be to hear the sound, but we'll see.

I have not tried updating the amp at all. Sadly, I don't think I have the required hardware to do that.

Just out of curiosity, what are the common causes of malfunctions with the amp and pre-amp?

by fflbrgst on 2011-11-02 05:32:02

In your original post you said you updated the amp, but then in your reply you said you hadn't?  If you have not purchased an FBV Mk II control pedal for the amp yet, you should as this is the only way to update the firmware on the amp (USB from computer to the FBV, FBV to the amp thorugh its Ethernet cable)  The least expensive option is the FBV MkII Express which gives you the ability to switch betwen the 4 sound preset channels in the active bank, and a wah/volume pedal.

by TwoTwenty02 on 2011-11-02 06:05:04

I said I performed a factory reset, not an update.

I'll have to look into the FBV MkII Express then. It seems like a good thing to have!

by Line6Don on 2011-11-04 09:58:29

Hey TwoTwenty02,

I agree with fflbrgst's and David's suggestion to try and update the software on the amp using the instructions that David provided at the link above. The reason I suggest this is because you mentioned you hear the sound over the direct out as well, this eliminates the speaker and power amp section of the amp, so the first thing to try before having a repair tech assess the amp is updating the flash memory.

by Line6Don on 2011-11-09 10:36:54

Hey TwoTwenty02,

It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you feel your question(s) have not been answered, or, if you have further questions, please feel free to re-open a support thread within our support community and we will answer your questions accordingly.

Thanks!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.