These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Variax Bass volume, continued
by maes2ro on 2011-11-01 14:40:07

Hi. Apologies to both Perry and Tony for the lack of response to their posts, I have not had a chance to log in for a while.

On the subject of the firmware update:

The Variax appears in the list of devices to connect to, however after connection, there is no reference to it in the device tree. Is this perhaps a registration issue of some sort where the Monkey does not recognise the Bass as a valid item? The serial number on the headstock is not alphanumeric like the device registration page offers, so maybe there is a problem there?

To make sure that I am working throught the procedures properly I have just attempted the string calibration:

I powered the guitar from the floor box to keep the pod out the equation, and the Variax went into calibration mode OK. I then monitored the output levels using the bar graph on my Creative labs recording software.

Before changing anything, the D & G strings were about 3 x the level of the A, and 4 x the level of the E.

I could not increase the level of the lower strings to match the higher strings, so I had to reduce the level of the D & G to meet the E & A, unfortunately there was still not enough adjustment to get down that far. The balance is still not great but is better, sadly the bass is now even quieter!

I will log in more frequently to make sure that I do not miss any new ideas.

Best Regards

Stirling

RE: Variax Bass volume, continued
by Line6Hugo on 2011-11-03 14:06:13

maes2ro,

The registration has no bearing on updating the flash memory in Monkey. Hitting remind me later skips any registration bumps. IF the Bass is not being recognized by Line 6 Monkey, that's a different story. Which interface are you using?

Please be sure to remove any batteries if you are powering with the power supply.

If you are unable to sort it by re-installing the flash memory, it will need to go to an authorized service center:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: Variax Bass volume, continued
by maes2ro on 2011-11-03 15:35:07

Hi Hugo

I am connecting to the Variax through a Floor Pod XT. If I select the POD from the connect area I get the full tree of firmware etc, however if I select the Bass, I only see the Monkey software version.

The advice about the batteries is news though, why does that make a difference?

I'll take them out and try again.

Best Regards

Stirling

by Kneehow on 2011-11-04 10:34:29

The battery (disconnect it if you decide to use an XPS power supply) is more of a good practice suggestion from us. That's all, really.

by maes2ro on 2011-11-05 07:32:50

Hi Perry.

I'm still trying to reflash my variax, but although the Monkey appears to connect OK I cannot see the firmware version table. Here is a snapshot of the Monkey after choosing the bass from the connection option.line6 monkey snap.jpg

So it looks like although the monkey has connected to the bass, it is unable to read the Eprom and get the electronic serial number. I guess that is a clue?

Best Regards

Stirling

by Kneehow on 2011-11-08 11:47:03

Just to clarify, none of the Variax guitar/basses have ESN numbers; that is not a clue (just making sure you're aware of this).

However, if you're not seeing the Flash Memory component in Monkey's "Update" screen, this tells us you have a connection problem to the bass. Unfortunately it's sounding like a hardware issue that a repair tech will need to investigate at this point...

by maes2ro on 2011-11-11 13:36:25

Hi Perry

Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware of the guitars not having ESN's. I'll try a CAT 5 cable for final clarification, then try and contact L6 in the UK.

This is pretty odd though as the Floor pod can select models and the audio comes through OK, so there can't be too much wrong with the connections.

Regards

Stirling

by Line6Don on 2011-11-15 16:57:22

If you are still having trouble with the Bass being recognized, then I would suggest that you have a Service Tech assess the bass for you. To locate a Line 6 Service Center in your area, follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

by maes2ro on 2011-11-15 23:30:03

Hi Don

Thanks very much for the link. I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Stirling

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.