These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

James Tyler Variax and Alternate Tunings
by brenttp on 2011-11-01 20:39:11

I am on my 3rd JTV and have had the same problem on all. I had the JTV 69 twice and now the 59. They all sound terrible in the alternate tunning position. As many have said you can hear the unaltered tunning and the alternate tunning coming through at the same time.

My set up is the JTV through the 1/4 inch jack to the X3L to my PA. I hear the bad sounds with or without headphones. I have flashed up the latest firmware and reset the JTV multiple times.

Is this the way everyone's sounds? What can I do to make this work?

Re: James Tyler Variax and Alternate Tunings
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-02 01:19:10

Hi

When you use the 1/4" output from the guitar you should only hear the magnetic pickups or the models but not both at the same time.   This is not the way either of my two JTVs sound (a 59 and an 89). when running from the 1/4" output.

Obviously you do have to have the amplification system loud enough to drown out the acoustic sound of the strings themselves - and working quietly at typical transistor radio levels with open backed headphones may cause the natural acoustic level to interfere with what the amp or headphones are putting out.

I would recommend that you use a VDI cable from your guitar to the X3 Live as this will correctly interpret the audio coming from the guitar as well as providing a power source for the guitar independent of its internal battery.

On the X3 Live you need to have the latest firmware installed.  This not only recognises the old Variax input, but it also recognises Variax Ch1 and Variax Ch2 from a JTV like the POD HD500 and POD HD Pro do.

Nick

by edstar1960 on 2011-11-02 05:48:10

+1

As Nick says - the 1/4" should only give you the mags OR the models (depending on whether you have the modelling knob pushed down - ie:switched on and illuminated).  The natural acoustic sound of the strings is surprisingly loud, and if you are playing at low volume levels they can easily be heard even through headphones and give the impression they are coming through the X3L/amp, so you have to make sure you are loud enough to cover that or that your headphones have closed backs and are loud enough to cover external noise.

One way to prove whether it is just the natural string sounds causing the interference is to record the output from your X3L direct out into a PC or digital recorder. If it is working correctly you should only hear the altered tuning when you play back the recording. If it is faulty then you will still hear the altered tuning and the standard strings.

NB:  Ensure that you set the INPUT selection on your X3L to GUITAR only. I think the default is Variax + Guitar + Aux - which should not make a difference if nothing else is connected to the X3L - but just to be sure you are only getting the 1/4" signal choose just the GUITAR input and use that input on the X3L.

If you can record the JTV sounding both the standard tuning and the altered tuning via the 1/4" jack whilst the MODEL switch is on, then it is definitely faulty and Line6 will repair it for you.  You can provide them with the MP3 recording as evidence and contact Line6 to arrange for repair.

Hopefully you will find that it is just the natural acoustic strings causing your problem and that your JTV is working fine.

Good luck.

Best Regards

Eddie

by laelamiles on 2011-11-02 10:49:33

There is some bug on JTV that causes this.  I don't know if it's hardware or software issue.

A few people reported success in reflashing or resetting.

That didn't work for me at first.  What seemed to work is flashing down to an older firmware.  Then the double notes issue went away.  When I flashed back up to the latest version, the guitar stayed fixed.

Again, I still don't know if this is a hardware issue or software because in theory reflashing should have fixed it if was really software.

by brenttp on 2011-11-02 20:14:10

Thanks for all the replies. I widow try these things on the previous guitars  I used the x3ll with the newest firmware and adjusted to only guitar only. I like the idea of flashing to the old firmware. I have not done that yet.

Where can I find and old flash? Mine shipped with 1.70.

Thanks.

by laelamiles on 2011-11-02 21:52:43

Flash to the highest version first (1.71?)

If that doesn't fix it, then flash to a lower version (1.70?)... I think the same UI gives you the option of which version firmware to restore.

I was really banging my head over this too, but believe it or not, flashing down (then back up) fixed it.

Edit: Check here if you need to manually download the firmwares: http://line6.com/software/index.html

by brenttp on 2011-11-03 11:40:29

Ok... so I flashed up to 1.70 on the variax and still heard the double notes when playing sonically through my PA.

Based on the above I recorded this into Garage Band and no double notes. Then I played it sonically again through the amp and heard double notes. I have the volume loud but not stage volume.

Can anyone explain why this works this way?

My next thought is to go into the next room with a long 1/4 inch jack and play through the amp. If this works I suspect the problem is that the sonic harmnoics interfere with the string vibration and cause the double notes and warble.

Is that crazy or does it fit with other's experience?

Thank for all the great advice so far.

by stevekc on 2011-11-03 12:19:30

I suggest what you are hearing is the acoustical energy of your un amplified vibrating strings, conflicting with the Alt tuned version coming out of your guitar amp.

brenttp wrote:

Based on the above I recorded this into Garage Band and no double notes

That answers your question.

again

I suggest what you are hearing is the acoustical energy of your un amplified vibrating strings, conflicting with the Alt tuned version coming out of your guitar amp.

Solution - turn the amp up louder!

by solidjiver on 2011-11-03 12:58:53

Yeah, initially I also thought the standard strings could be heard faintly.

The acoustical sound of the strings is surprisingly loud. Especially the high E string when you play it alone. You have to get used to it if you're not playing loud enough.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.