These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider I / II / III

Celestion G12T75 & Vintage 30 for Spider III 150
by chris8695 on 2011-11-06 13:47:55

Hi everyone. My name is Chris. i have recently purchased a used spider III 150 watt combo amp from guitar center. the amp sounded excellent at first until i connected my laptop to the amp (so i can play along with songs) which may be a mistake that i should have never done because after that, the amp started sounding muffled. Do you guys think connecting any external music player to the amp will cause problems? Also, i am thinking about putting new speakers into this amp, such as a combination of Celetion G12T75 & Vintage 30. do u guys think they will work with spider III 150? thanks guys. i appreciate it.

Re: RE: Celestion G12T75 & Vintage 30 for Spider III 150
by Kneehow on 2011-11-09 10:47:06

Be careful of inputting line-level audio output signals such as a laptop into the Instrument Input of any Spider amp. The best input would be the mp3/CD player input. Line-level signals can be a bit too much for a guitar/instrument level input circuit... please be careful of that.

Regarding the speakers: you can put in alternative speakers... just be sure they're the correct resistance (8 ohms each). A Vintage 30 can be cool, but just keep in mind that the Spider III is a digital modelling amp, so it's not the same as a tube amp driving the Vintage 30. The stock 12" speakers in our modelling amps are actually "flat-response" versus the midrange signature that Vintage 30 or Greenback 25's (for example) are known for.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.